Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #21
jb500ex
Banned

Member Number: 24020
Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
I'm not replying to that fuckboy named jb500ex
Bitches normally don't when wrong
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #22
jb500ex
Banned

Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Argh. The Pryor TD was a DIRECT result of the olb biting on the fake and poor tackling in the secondary. The read option plays are designed to take out the NT and attacks the edges. Save for McClendon jumping the snap and goingnuntoucjed, he has almost no chance to make a play.
Another one who's wrong.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #23
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this post reeks of ignorance. First off, the main issue with NT's coming off the field is when the offense is in a THREE wide set, where an extra CB is needed. Having a NT on the field in a three wide set nearly guarantees that the defense will be playing zone. How often do you want a safety manned on a slot receiver with a LB guarding a TE? Furthermore, in a three wide set, the offense still has enough man power up front to successfully run the ball. The three wide set is the most dangerous set on offense because of the multiple ways it can attack the defense.

If you want to run the nickel 3-3-5 when facing a three wide set, then the NT better be able to rush the passer, as you're taking a potential pass rusher off the field in a linebacker. That fourth linebacker also allows you to do more in your coverages.

And a WR does way more than just catch the ball. Come on man that's just a down right stupid comment. You think a defense doesn't account for a stud wide out every play during the game? Do you really think that the only positive impact a receiver can have is when he has the ball in his hands?

The YPC stat is meaningless without context. Youre blaming the starting NT for the 4.3 YPC when he was only on the field for 33% of the defensive snaps last year. I don't think anybody is saying that a good NT isn't a need or that it isn't valuable to a defense. The issue I have with the position is that people believe its such a need that it deserves a day one and even day two pick. It just doesn't. Take a flier on a guy late in the draft, coach him up and feedbhis fat ass and hell be as successful and play as much as thebguy we would have spent the first rounder on.
First off, you do not have to always counter a 3-wide offense with a nickel package. This isn't Madden.

Second, There was an observable dropoff from even Hampton's poorest 2012 performance to McClendon as Football Outsiders points out.

Football Outsiders calls nose tackle the Steelers’ greatest position of need, based on McLendon’s average tackle following a gain of 3.0 yards, the worst of any starting tackle in a 3-4 defense.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,976 Times in 4,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
Bitches normally don't when wrong
Oh shut the fuck up. How about you source more PFF material on Timmons saying he's a bust, while I source PFF and show you how he's ranked as one of their top 10 Linebackers in the NFL? I still can't believe that happened.

Do you realize you're universally laughed at for your lack of football knowledge? It's truly astounding. I've never seen someone know so little about a subject but act as arrogant as you do. It's baffling.

Maybe if you're lucky, one of the big boys who actually possesses football knowledge will Etch-a-Sketch you a diagram later. Only if you behave though.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #25
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

I do agree though that in today's NFL, a DT is not a wise 1st round pick. Is that a good enough compromise?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #26
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

I am also not saying it is our only need in the run-stopping department. We had a dropoff in LB play for sure, not denying that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:
Argh. The Pryor TD was a DIRECT result of the olb biting on the fake and poor tackling in the secondary. The read option plays are designed to take out the NT and attacks the edges. Save for McClendon jumping the snap and goingnuntoucjed, he has almost no chance to make a play.
BTW.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/10...un-was-on-him/

I think Timmons is top-10 material as well, but you are wrong on this one (and so am I).
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #28
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

I just re-watched that Pryor TD. Ouch, Timmons was just being generous in that article I think. Woodley got faked out of his shorts on that play. But I guess that was his assignment?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #29
jb500ex
Banned

For starters they're several others
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...#axzz2smJgchYr
Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #30
jb500ex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Oh shut the fuck up. How about you source more PFF material on Timmons saying he's a bust, while I source PFF and show you how he's ranked as one of their top 10 Linebackers in the NFL? I still can't believe that happened.

Do you realize you're universally laughed at for your lack of football knowledge? It's truly astounding. I've never seen someone know so little about a subject but act as arrogant as you do. It's baffling.

Maybe if you're lucky, one of the big boys who actually possesses football knowledge will Etch-a-Sketch you a diagram later. Only if you behave though.
-3.4. That's top 10. Yes he does a great job