Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #71
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,821 Posts
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
He may have solidified himself as a top 10 pick in this combine. Tampa, Buffalo, Tennessee and the Giants all have needs at receiver. I'm lukewarm on the idea of Evans at 15 anyway, but I doubt he'll be there.
Apparently Evans 4.47 40 was much better than expected. Of course I wonder whether if this is like training to take the State bar exam or SATs and the improved "speed" is just gaming the combine system to be another combine wonder who looks great in shorts rather than any previously undetected gear into which Evans will be able to shift on Sundays

The track and field coach who trains select draft prospects for the combine knew how well Texas A&M teammates Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans would do in physical drills, especially the popular 40-yard dash. Flaherty understood there would be no more questions about Evans' breakaway speed once he ran. He knew that Manziel's athleticism would solidify his resume as perhaps the top quarterback in the draft.

Evans, expected to run maybe a 4.7-second 40-yard dash, ran a 4.47 on Sunday morning. That's fairly incredible for a 6-foot-5, 231-pound receiver. ...

Flaherty worked with both of them at Prolific Athletes, his training complex in San Diego, and was thrilled at the results, just not surprised.

"This is why I do what I do," Flaherty said. "This is the part I enjoy the most, seeing guys do well and hopefully setting them and their families up for a long, long time."

Evans' performance might literally be worth a few million dollars. As Flaherty pointed out, if Evans has a similar 40 time to top receiver prospect Sammy Watkins, who is 211 pounds, it gives teams something to think about (Watkins ran a 4.34 40 later on Sunday, which might solidify him as the top receiver in the draft). After Sunday's great performance, Evans might not get past the Rams, who have the 13th overall pick. He might even go a few spots higher.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...1539--nfl.html

This observer thinks his 4.47 40 understates his speed - if so no way Evans is around for the Steelers to take him

harrison'samonster (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #72
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

Well, they can forget about Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins. Those two guys will not be there at #15. Evans ran a 4.48 at the combine, he ran well in the drills too. I think both will go in the Top 10.
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel95 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #73
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,018 Times in 4,288 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers 'Tall Receiver' campaign continues, more feeling behind a pass catcher at No. 15

By Neal Coolong on Feb 22 2014

A Steelers beat writer has been linking the Steelers with 'tall receivers' in the 2014 NFL Draft. That tree gets shaken again as another report is strongly suggesting the Steelers have a desire to land Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

Post Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac, speaking with Bleacher Report at the NFL Scouting Combine, spoke again in no uncertain terms of the Steelers' desire to find a tall receiver in this draft.

The question really is at what point they'd be willing to take one. Dulac is still leaning on the team's supposed interest in one of them, presumably at the No. 15 pick.

"I don't think there's any question one of the guys they've liked all along is Mike Evans from Texas A&M...He's a big guy, 6-foot-5, 225, a former basketball player, he goes up and gets the ball."

Dulac also mentioned Clemson's Sammy Watkins, saying both he and Evans would be at the top of the Steelers' list."

"There's no question the Steelers want to get a receiver who is tall enough that makes it easier for Ben Roethlisberger to complete passes."

The interview started out by confirming what most expect - Emmanuel Sanders will leave via free agency. Markus Wheaton is first up to replace Sanders in his role. The team has understandably expressed their confidence in Wheaton, with the combination of a late graduating class robbing him of much of the offseason schedule as well as two separate broken fingers and subsequent surgery on one of them leading to his lack of playing time.

Whether any of those things would happen to either Watkins or Evans is obviously unknown, but Dulac is representing very direct information from inside the organization. The only way to tell will be whether the Steelers actually take Evans at 15, or work to trade up to select Watkins, or even Evans, come May.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ceiver-targets
Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #74
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,545 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Last year I had a feeling about Leveon Bell. This year if we go defense in the first , Id like Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. My gut tells me he's gonna be a star.

His only question mark Was his speed now that he ran a 4.4 forty , he may jump into the first. His uncle Jerry I believe went with the 15th overall selection. Coincidence ? I think not.
Would the Steelers bypass immense defensive needs in the first to Nab Him ?
Who knows. But I do know if a big bodied receiver falls into their lap at 15 , I wouldn't be surprised if they load up on defense in the other rounds .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #75
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Mike Evans's 4.50-ish 40 is legitimate. Watch his tape, he's got plenty adequate speed. People just assumed he'd be a lot slower because these 6'5 230 guys usually are, but if you actually watch his film you can see he's got speed.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #76
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,545 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Mike Evans's 4.50-ish 40 is legitimate. Watch his tape, he's got plenty adequate speed. People just assumed he'd be a lot slower because these 6'5 230 guys usually are, but if you actually watch his film you can see he's got speed.
4.56 by Benjamin at 240 lbs isn't too shabby either. But Jordan Matthews at 6'3 and 4.4 speed I think will be better than them all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), wootawnee (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #77
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,018 Times in 4,288 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Day 4 of the NFL Scouting Combine shows off the talent at wide receiver in the 2014 NFL Draft

by Chris Fedor
Feb 23, 2014

Get ready for lots of receivers in the first round: It's not hyperbole. This year's receiver class in the one of the deepest in recent memory, and it could rival 2009's when it comes to the number of pass-catchers that hear there name called in the first round. That year, there were six (Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt) taken in round one.

This year, with so many teams needing to address the position, six could be topped. It starts with Sammy Watkins. Although smaller than some teams would like in the Top 10, he's the best in the class. His blazing speed, explosiveness, run-after-catch ability and hands separate him. He's instant offense wherever he lines up, a true difference maker and future No. 1 wideout. But there's plenty of talent and depth behind him.

Texas A&M's Mike Evans might've jumped into the Top 15 after the show he put on in Indy. Everyone knew about his size, catch radius and ability to go up and get jump balls over defenders, but he showed off his speed on the track, running in the low 4.5's during the 40-yard dash.

Then there's the next wave of guys.

Oregon State's Brandin Cooks is a silky-smooth and explosive receiver that catches everything thrown his way. He was the fastest receiver in Indy. Fresno State's Davante Adams has drawn comparisons to Michael Crabtree and was Derek Carr's go-to target. Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin is built like a cyborg. A wide receiver in a defensive ends' body, Benjamin had to overcome some drops and other issues that prevented him from realizing his immense potential until this past season. He caught the ball well in the drills and ran faster than expected, clocking 4.62 in the 40-yard dash.

Then there's LSU's Odell Beckham Jr., Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews – the relative of Jerry Rice – and USC's game breaker Marqise Lee. This is the right year to be looking for a receiver. There are at least 15 of them that look talented enough to make an impact at the next level.

Day 4 risers:

Mike Evans, wide receiver, Texas A&M – I'm not sure how much he can really rise, but he solidified himself as the second-best receiver. His hands in the gauntlet drill and his speed were the two things that stood out to me. He's already pretty good so it's impressive that Evans is still learning despite starting as a basketball player.

Brandin Cooks, wide receiver, Oregon State – Finishing with the top 40 time among receivers will help him get into the first round. He was also very smooth and explosive in the pass-catching drills.

Odell Beckham Jr., wide receiver, LSU – There were some people wondering if he or Jarvis Landry was the better wideout from the Bayou. Beckham made a strong case. Burning the turf with a 4.43 40-yard dash, he showed off good explosion and natural pass-catching skills in the on-field workouts.

Day 4 fallers:

Jarvis Landry, wide receiver, LSU – His injury ended his chances of running a second 40-yard dash. After his slow 4.77 the first time, I'm sure he would've liked to have another crack. To his credit he showed toughness, trying to get through catching drills. And with good reason. Landry has some of the best hands in the class and is unafraid to go over the middle. He's the kind of guy that I'd like to have on my team, but even I must admit Sunday was disappointing.

Allen Robinson, wide receiver, Penn State – He dropped far too many passes in the drills and clocked 4.60 in the 40-yard dash. He waved goodbye to the first round and might get lost in a deep receiver class.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ting_comb.html
Old 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #78
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,022 Times in 958 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

If Mike Evans is there at 15 he'll be the pick Imo.

But I would love for us to draft Jarvis Landry in the 3rd if he's there
Old 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #79
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,083 Posts
My Mood: Amused

It looks like Allen Robinson will be this years Keenan Allen.

I've been hoping all along that the Steelers won't take a WR with the 15th pick. There are so many talented guys this year that they could still get a great receiver in the second round.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #80
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Jeff Janis, Saginaw Valley St. will be a late rd steal!!!!!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote