Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #71
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,969 Times in 3,092 Posts
My Mood: Crappy
Default Re: Kansas’ Anti-Gay Segregation Bill

Provisions of Arizona's Proposed Anti-Gay Law

Quote:
Last week, the Arizona legislature passed a bill allowing business owners to refuse service to homosexual customers if the owners claim such actions conflict with their religious beliefs. Here are some of the notable provisions of the proposed law:

Hotel clerks must provide notarized letter from God or other deity when turning away guests
Reverses law requiring small business owners to perform same-sex commitment ceremonies after serving gay customers
If refusing service, business owners required to spit tobacco before saying, “We don’t take kindly to you folk”
Would no longer obligate businesses to treat all patrons as faceless, mindless sources of revenue
Gays can still buy muffins at the bakery, but they have to wait until the straight people have taken their pick
Thirty-eight-page speculative description of gay sexual encounter
Real estate brokers may now refuse whatever service they’ve convinced themselves they’re offering
Requires straight customers to spend a little extra money to make up the difference
Does not provide funding for Native American scholarships, which might’ve helped this baby go down a little smoother
Sets framework for Arizona State University to reject an applicant for the very first time in school’s history
Safeguards Arizona residents’ freedom to practice Jesus Christ’s teachings of love, inclusion, and tolerance

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-25-2014), Buddha Bus (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #72
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,969 Times in 3,092 Posts
My Mood: Crappy

Close-Minded Man Not Even Willing To Hear Out Argument On Why Homosexuality An Abomination

Quote:
Claiming it is “impossible” to get him to consider different points of view, exasperated acquaintances of local man Kyle Dunham told reporters Wednesday that the 34-year-old is completely unwilling to listen to even a single argument as to why homosexuality is an abomination.

Sources familiar with the account manager’s maddeningly rigid beliefs said that no matter how patiently and logically they present the extensive evidence demonstrating that gays and lesbians are systematically destroying society, the narrow-minded Dunham simply tunes them out.

“You try to have a rational conversation with him in which you carefully explain, point by point, how the Bible reveals that homosexuality is abhorrent and dangerous, and his eyes just glaze over,” said neighbor Alex Richardson, who told reporters he has never met anyone in his life so resistant to facts that contradicted his preconceived ideas. “Even when I bring up something basic that most informed people agree on—like how a man who lies down with another man is condemned to eternal hellfire—he just shakes his head.”

“I could spend all day calmly and methodically spelling out what befell the Sodomites,” Richardson added. “But it all goes in one ear and out the other.”

Despite intending to do nothing more than engage Dunham in a frank but nonjudgmental conversation about his inflexible views, most of his acquaintances said they could not even broach the possibility that homosexuality was a vile obscenity without being immediately dismissed.

“If you even suggest there’s the slightest chance that gays are deviants who are unequal to heterosexuals, he just puts up this mental barrier,” said Dunham’s brother-in-law, Wayne Byers, who claimed his repeated efforts to educate Dunham about how all gay men are pedophiles was “like talking to a brick wall.” “Once he retreats into that mindset, forget it. You can counter every single one of his arguments with irrefutable Scripture all day, but you’re not getting through. Even when I try to tell him these aren’t just my personal beliefs, but the consensus opinion of leading pastors and radio personalities, he’s still not convinced.”

“Honestly, I think he’s afraid,” added Byers. “Maybe if he opened his mind a tiny, tiny crack, he just might discover that it’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.”

Many speculated that Dunham’s obstinate behavior stemmed from an insular childhood spent cloistered exclusively among similarly close-minded individuals. Under these sheltered conditions, acquaintances told reporters, it might actually seem natural for him to doubt that gays and lesbians serve the Devil, that they are intent on converting all young children to homosexuality, or that their sexual orientation is actually a disease.

As a result, some said they tried viewing Dunham’s refusal to acknowledge even the most common-sense facts about homosexuality’s apocalyptic power with understanding and compassion.

“I just try to remind myself that Kyle’s not inherently a bad person, just an ignorant one,” said coworker Cathy Ramirez, who conceded that she occasionally walked away from a conversation with Dunham rather than listen to him repeat the same tired egalitarian talking points over and over. “If I was raised in an environment where I had no choice but to read something other than the Old and New Testament, I might share his same stubborn beliefs.”

But most who have come up against Dunham’s intractability told reporters that their sympathy quickly gives way to frustration.

“I just get so angry when I sit there citing clear-cut evidence like Leviticus 18:22, Romans 1:27, and Corinthians 6:9, and I can already tell his mind’s 100 percent made up,” said Dunham’s former college roommate, Nate Dietrich, admitting he often rolls his eyes at the forwarded emails he receives from Dunham that make impassioned claims about homosexuality being a normal, natural behavior. “He’s just so trapped in his little sealed-off world that nothing makes a difference, nothing. I just want to shake him, you know?”

“One of these days, though, he’s going to have to leave that dark cave of his and accept that being homosexual is an offense in the eyes of God and will incur His righteous wrath,” Dietrich added. “Honestly, I don’t know how you go through your whole life living in blindness like that.”

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-26-2014), SteelCityMom (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #74
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

No surprise some members of the legislature for the great State of Georgia want to get on the bandwagon

House Bill 1023, "The Preservation of Religious Freedom Act," was introduced last week in the Georgia House and is scheduled for a hearing this afternoon in a House Judiciary subcommittee. That quick action suggests that the bill has at least some chance of advancing. (It should be noted that the bill has bipartisan support, with at least three Democrats as co-sponsors.)

If enacted into law, HB 1023 turns religion into a veritable "get out of jail or lawsuits free" card for any state or local law. It exempts people and businesses from any government action or legal proceeding that "directly or indirectly constrains, inhibits, curtails, or denies the exercise of religion by any person or that directly or indirectly pressures any person to engage in any action contrary to that person's exercise of religion."

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jay-bookm...anti-gay-lead/

The 2 big corporate dogs headquartered in Atlanta are Delta and Coca-Cola

This from Delta

“As a global values-based company, Delta Air Lines is proud of the diversity of its customers and employees, and is deeply concerned about proposed measures in several states, including Georgia and Arizona, that would allow businesses to refuse service to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.

“If passed into law, these proposals would cause significant harm to many people and will result in job losses. They would also violate Delta’s core values of mutual respect and dignity shared by our 80,000 employees worldwide and the 165 million customers we serve every year. Delta strongly opposes these measures and we join the business community in urging state officials to reject these proposals.”

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43...0pASM.facebook

My guess is Coca-Cola will be heard from as well if this does not die in committee - as is the case in Arizona, the zealots are running into some resistance

One senses a general retreat from the legislation. We asked Gov. Nathan Deal about the pending bills this morning. Said Deal:
“That’s not one of my pieces of legislation.”
The follow-up: So do you see it as a priority?
“No.”
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/02...freedom-bills/
Buddha Bus (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #75
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,310 Times in 2,985 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-26-2014), JonM229 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #77
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,624 Times in 10,389 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Some states are trying to allow restaurant & hotel owners to purposefully ban gay people from eating & staying in their establishments.

Which states?

Oh, the ones that NO ONE wants to visit anyway.

Fuck Arizona. They were the last state to recognize MLK Day, and they lost the ability to host a SuperBowl because of it. I repeat: no one wants to visit, let alone live in, Arizona.

Meanwhile, California, Hawaii, & Florida (you know: the non-crappy states) are welcoming everyone with open arms.

Arizona... who wants to vacation (let alone live) in Arizona anyway???
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-27-2014), JonM229 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #78
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

The Arizona Guv vetoed the bill

Ending a day that cast a glaring national spotlight on Arizona, the state’s Republican governor, Jan Brewer, decided late Wednesday to veto a bill that would have given business owners the right to refuse service to gays and lesbians on religious grounds....

As Ms. Brewer deliberated, the state had already begun to lose business...

The measure is the latest initiative in Arizona to set off a political firestorm, not just in the state but around the country. The state is still struggling to repair its image and finances from the boycotts and bad publicity it endured after passage of a stern immigration law in 2010, which gave police officers the right to stop people whom they suspected of being in the country illegally and made it a crime for unauthorized immigrants to hold jobs.

Arizona also faced a boycott almost 20 years ago, after voters initially refused to recognize Martin Luther King’s Birthday as a state holiday. Back then, the state was set to host the Super Bowl, but the National Football League, looking to avoid the controversy, moved the game to Pasadena, Calif. Sports Illustrated reported on Wednesday that the National Football League was exploring a similar move for next year’s game, which was scheduled for Phoenix.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/us...l.html?hp&_r=0

RINO
Buddha Bus (02-27-2014), JonM229 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #79
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Always remember - refusing to do business with gays has nothing to do with hostility to gays - it is about honoring the tenets of your religion

Sugar, flour, eggs and water are now munitions in America’s culture war. Or so you’d think from two Oregon bakeries that recently got national attention for declining to make cakes for same-sex weddings...

Both bakeries cited their religious beliefs as the reason they would not make the cakes. Both describe themselves as Christian.

Jesus, of course, never commented on gay people, but did tell his followers to “love your neighbor as yourself.” Instead, the widely cited Bible verse condemning homosexuality comes from Leviticus, a book that also prohibits getting tattooed or eating rabbit....

We wondered what other requests these cakemakers would decline to honor. So last week five WW reporters called these two bakeries anonymously to get price quotes for other occasions frowned upon by some Christians. Surprisingly, the people who answered the phone at each bakery were quite willing to provide baked goods for celebrations of divorces, unmarried parents, stem-cell research, non-kosher barbecues and pagan solstice parties....

Baby Out of Wedlock

WW Asks - I’m shopping around for a nice baby shower cake for my friend. It’s her second baby with her boyfriend so I’m not looking for anything too big or fancy—probably enough to serve 15 to 20 people.

Sweet Cake says - “We have a sheet cake that will feed 30, or a 10-inch cake that would feed 30 people. The 10-inch cake is $50 and the sheet cake is $52. Or we have an 8-inch cake that would feed 15 for $40.”

Fleur says - Prices vary based on decoration and frosting, but a basic cake is $3 per serving.

Divorce Party

WW Asks - My friend is getting divorced and we’d like to throw her a little party to mark the start of her new life. Do you ever write messages on those—we’d want it to say “congratulations!”—and how much would it be for a cake that could serve about eight people?

Sweet Cake says - “A 10-inch is $29.99. That should probably do it....We can definitely do something like that.”

Fleur says - “The price for a 10-inch cheesecake is $36 and up. So it’ll be between $36 and $45, but you’re going to have to call in advance because my schedule for June and July is very busy.”

Stem-Cell Success

WW Asks - I was wondering if you could do two little cakes. My friend is a researcher at OHSU and she just got a grant for cloning human stem cells, so I thought I’d get her two identical cakes—basically, two little clone cakes. How much would they cost?

Sweet Cake says - “Ha. All right. When are you looking to do it? It’ll be $25.99 each, so about $50 to start.”

Fleur says - Did not pick up phone or return messages. Acknowledged receiving requests by email but refused to comment.

Non-Kosher Barbecue

WW Asks - I’m looking to get a special cake for a barbecue we’re having next week. Our cow just died of old age and we’re planning to grill some steaks along with lobster and pulled-pork sandwiches—what size would we need for 10 people and how much would it be?

Sweet Cake says - “A 6-inch cake serves about eight to 10 people at $25.99. The apple goes really good with pork, and the caramel will complement the lobster. For a barbecue, it’s all really good.”

Fleur says - Did not pick up phone or return messages. Acknowledged receiving requests by email but refused to comment.

Pagan Solstice Party

WW Asks - I was calling to get a quote on a cake for a midsummer solstice party. My coven is celebrating on Friday, June 21. The decoration would be very simple: just a green pentagram. We’d like to pick it up sometime that afternoon, before the bonfire. It’ll be for about 30 people.

Sweet Cake says - “For 30 poeople we have a couple options... We have two kind of cakes you could have. About the diagram you want on the cake, I’m not sure how much extra that would be.”

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...cake_wars.html
Buddha Bus (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #80
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
As you might imagine this has caused quite the commotion among certain elected representatives in Texas

Dan Patrick, a Republican state senator running for lieutenant governor, was so shaken up by today's court ruling that he got all turned around on what exactly God intended. That's how you know his passion for discrimination is real.

Patrick quickly realized his sin, and wants there to be no doubt:

And, by the way, this losing battle needs more soldiers:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...man-tweet.html
Buddha Bus (02-27-2014)