Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #531
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,652 Times in 2,540 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Sochi 2014 Olympic Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Am I the only one who feels sad when the Olympics end?
No, but after 18 days, I was sort of all Olympic'd out.

I would turn the Olympics on as soon as I got up in the morning, my patients would have it on their televisions while I was at work, and then I would turn it on when I got home from work. Had it on all day, if home, during my days off. I'm burned out.

But, we have the Summer games to look forward to in only two years!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #532
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,409 Times in 884 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
...we have the Summer games to look forward to in only two years!
Two and a half years at least. There's six months between winter and summer, and then another month or two before it starts to warm up in the Southern Hemisphere, where Rio de Janeiro is. I didn't seem to enjoy the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney very much, because it just felt odd watching them in September, and I fear the same for the 2016 Summer Olympics as well.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #533
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Two and a half years at least. There's six months between winter and summer, and then another month or two before it starts to warm up in the Southern Hemisphere, where Rio de Janeiro is. I didn't seem to enjoy the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney very much, because it just felt odd watching them in September, and I fear the same for the 2016 Summer Olympics as well.
The next summer Olympics won't be in September. They'll start on Aug. 5th. http://www.olympic.org/rio-2016-summer-olympics

It's funny though, I was looking back at the Olympic venues and noticed when some of the summer games used to start (all the winter games start in the winter at least, with Feb. being the norm). There were some summer games (early on) that started in April and May, and then in the 60's they held them in early/mid October (in Tokyo and Mexico City).

I miss the Olympics when they're over, but like Lady Steel, I was starting to get a little burnt out.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #534
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Sochi in the future.

Sochi’s bleak future: What happens to Olympic cities after the Olympics are over?
A look back at former Olympic hosts reveals why the Russian city could be in deep trouble
Lindsay Abrams
Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 11:00 AM PST

For a city, there’s nothing quite like the glory of winning an Olympic bid. The highly competitive process starts nine years before the games and involves untold amounts of campaigning and planning. Once selected, fortunate cities have seven years to prepare, updating their infrastructure and building new, impressive facilities. If they pull it off, they get two weeks to show it all off to the entire world.

Then the Games end, and the world moves on. No longer hosts, but forever Olympic cities, those left behind must figure out what to do next. Theoretically, this is something they should have been planning for all along, but as Jon Pack and Gary Hustwit have discovered, that isn’t always the case. Intrigued by the high price tag on the Beijing Olympics — before Sochi, $41 billion sounded like a lot of money — the two began returning to the former Olympic sites, photographing the post-games buildings and people they encountered in Athens, Barcelona, Beijing, Berlin, Helsinki, Mexico City, Moscow, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Lake Placid, Rome and Sarajevo.

The results of their their ongoing exploration, called The Olympic City Project, are dispiriting. While they found that some cities continue to thrive, others, like Athens, ended up as ghost towns. Others still became scenes of tragedy: The same spot where the 1984 Winter Games were held, for example, would later become the site of over 10,000 deaths during the Siege of Sarajevo less than a decade later.

So what’s next for Sochi? Russia poured $51 billion into revamping the beach town into a world-class ski resort, dwarfing previous games in both cost and scale — although at a terrible environmental price. The casualties of those efforts include rampant water pollution, thousands of displaced residents and an entire ecosystem arguably destroyed. In about five years, Pack and Hustwit said, they plan to go and see what happens for themselves — but they aren’t very optimistic about its prospects.

Read on for a conversation with Pack and Hustwit about the future of Olympic cities, and for a selection of their photographs from around the world. This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/23/soch...pics_are_over/
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (02-26-2014)