Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #51
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,378 Times in 2,078 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers hosting S Louis Delmas today

The Vikings and Falcons have showed interest in him. Unfortunately a team like the Vikings would out-pay the Steelers for him or Lions could keep him at a reduced rate

Questions are:
1. How's the knee?
2. What does he want along with the money? If money trumps winning than he can easily go to those other places. Plus - besides - in his eyes, what exactly have the Steelers done lately in the winning department?
3. How important is playing in a dome to him?

EDIT - btw, anyone check out the Swimsuit Edition? Can they even call it swimsuit anymore? It should be called - "We can pretty much see absolutely everything except what they show on Cinemax and Hustler and yea, especially with those tiny thongs and see through swim tops and mostly when you are just covering yourself with your hands"

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-25-2014), EbonySteel86 (02-25-2014), harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), teegre (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #52
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,538 Times in 5,179 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Louis 'Da Missile' Delmas was the emotional leader for the Lions

By Neal Coolong on Feb 17 2014

The Steelers reportedly met with Delmas Monday, presumably out of mutual interest in his services in the Steelers' defensive secondary for the 2014 season. It'd be a key acquisition, considering the Steelers' lack of depth at their safety positions.

"Delmas was the emotional leader of the Lions' defense, and he was nicknamed 'Da Missile' in Detroit for a reason," Yuille said. "He's a big hitter, and he typically tries to take opponents down by flying at them instead of wrapping up for a form tackle. This aggressive style can make him a great playmaker at times, but it can also lead to some serious negatives (massive coverage breakdowns, accidentally taking out teammates with whiffed hits, etc.)."

Some call those things negatives. Some call them Steelers football. Somewhere between there is a lot of what the Steelers have been missing the last three years - big lumber coming downhill from the secondary. Perhaps it's not a coincidence the amount of fines issued to the Steelers' defensive backs has dropped quite a bit since 2010, and so have the amount of fumbles they've forced. Delmas's aggressive and physical style could help create more of those takeaways.

And more injuries, too. One thing to be said about Ryan Clark, the Steelers' starting free safety since 2007, is he's been healthy, outside a freak incident in which he was diagnosed with a rare blood condition. Clark spent most of the 2007 season recovering from an injury in the high altitudes in Denver.

Delmas has a checkered injury past, and that as much as anything else led to his release in Detroit. Yuille agreed with that, and in a situation very similar to what Pittsburgh is facing with outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, it's the negative risk-reward ratio he carries, considering his contract.

Yuille says Delmas was not one of his favorite players and was "happy to see him released." In the end, price became an issue.

"Delmas' release strictly came down to the fact that he was set to get $6 million this year," Yuille said. "His production level in 2013 didn't warrant that kind of a cap hit, especially since injuries are always going to be a concern with him.

"The Lions gave him an incentive-laden contract last year, and 2013 was the first time he ever played in all 16 games in a season. That only happened because the Lions carefully managed his practice schedule in order to make sure his bad knees didn't keep him out of game action."

If that's the case, the Steelers are an ideal match for Delmas. This is a team that has taken care of veteran players. Former wide receiver Hines Ward didn't practice on Wednesday for the last three years of his career. Troy Polamalu missed practice due to a defect of his birth certificate, as coach Mike Tomlin so eloquently said it last year. If Delmas would be willing to accept less money for the obvious risk the Steelers would have to take with him, it could work out well for both sides.

Yuille sees the reality in the situation though. Often injured can't be considered to contribute fully to the team.

"The Lions reportedly want Delmas back on a more affordable contract, so clearly they like the kind of player he is," Yuille said. "However, between the constant injury risk and his inconsistent nature, I personally want them to go in a different direction. If I were a Steelers fan and they end up signing Delmas, I'd be rooting for a short-term, incentive-laden deal with very little guaranteed money in it."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...sed-salary-cap
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #53
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Brooks a safe(ty) option for Steelers?

February, 25, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Terrence Brooks said he considers himself the best safety in the 2014 draft, something that runs contrary to the opinion of NFL draft analysts.

The Florida State product can make one claim following the NFL scouting combine: No safety in this year’s draft is faster than Brooks.

Brooks ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds on Tuesday, tops among the safeties in the draft and considerably faster than the times posted by Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor.
[
Florida State defensive back Terrence Brooks turned heads at the combine when he ran a 4.42 in the 40-yard dash.

The two safeties who are widely considered the best ones in the draft each turned in official 40-yard dash times of 4.56 seconds.

The Steelers will take a safety at some point in the draft, but they may need to be blown away to take Clinton-Dix or Pryor at No. 15 overall. Consider that since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, the Steelers have used their first-round pick on a safety only one time.

That happened in 2003, when they traded up to take Troy Polamalu at No. 16.

To say that worked out well for them is an understatement, but even with safety an obvious need, do the Steelers see Clinton-Dix or Pryor as the kind of game-changer who is worth taking in the first half of the draft?

Brooks has emerged as one of the top options if the Steelers wait until later in the draft to grab a safety, and here are more things to like about him aside from his straight-line speed:

Brooks is self-assured but he also plays with a bit of an edge due to arriving at Florida State as less celebrated than a lot of the other recruits in his class.

Brooks played cornerback at Florida State before converting to safety. That should translate into his having the kind of coverage skills that are necessary for a free safety at the next level.

Brooks regularly practiced against elite competition at Florida State, and he said he matched up against Seminoles wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin at times. Look at the drafts under general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin and it’s pretty clear the Steelers value players who come from pedigreed programs and power conferences.

Brooks, who turns 22 next week, played all four years at Florida State and is not among the record number of underclassmen who are in the draft. Colbert said last week at the combine that the maturity level of some of the younger players in the draft is a concern. That presumably wouldn’t be as much of a concern with Brooks.

Brooks isn’t the biggest safety -- he checked in at 5-foot-11 and 198 pounds in Indianapolis -- and he got overshadowed at Florida State on a defense that was loaded with future NFL players. But he may have pushed his way into the second round of the draft with the sheer speed he displayed at the combine, and he wasn’t lacking for confidence before arriving in Indianapolis.

“I have a great feel for knowing where the ball is going. I’m fast and quick and physical, too,” said Brooks, who was fifth on the Seminoles with 56 tackles in 2013 and also intercepted two passes. “Any team that wants to take a chance on me won’t be disappointed.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...n-for-steelers
Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #54
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

How the safeties fared at the NFL combine...

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel Feb. 26, 2014

Green Bay — Alabama's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Louisville's Calvin Pryor are the top safeties, for different reasons.

Terrence Brooks believes he's the best, and comes from an undefeated, loaded Florida State.

Vanderbilt's Kenny Ladler has big-play potential. Jimmie Ward stood out at the Senior Bowl. Deone Bucannon is a physical option. The scouts are torn.

So how'd they do at the NFL scouting combine? A few highlights from players at a position of need for Green Bay...

--- Clinton-Dix ran well. Of the top two safeties, Pryor might seem the most athletic on a highlight reel. But Clinton-Dix is no stiff. He ran a 4.58 in the 40 and ranked fourth in the 20-yard shuttle (4.16 seconds) amongst safeties and third in the 60-yard shuttle (11.63 seconds).

Teams will probably like the fact that Clinton-Dix handled a lot of responsibility on the back end, particularly as a junior in 2013.

“I had to step up as more of a leader," Clinton-Dix said. "My sophomore year, I had Robert Lester back there to help me out a lot. Going into my junior year, I had to step up and find my new role. I had to step up and do that and be able to communicate with my young corners and linebackers.”

--- Brooks had the best 40 time at his position (4.42), speed that could help him compensate for his lack of size (5-11, 198). His 38-inch vertical leap also tied Brooks for first, with Utah State's Mo Alexander.

The Florida State safety says he has a game that transfers.

“Just being able not to come off the field," Brooks said. "I feel like I’m able to stay on the field with my cover skills, whether it’s man to man or up high. And I’m physical, too. I can go down in the box and handle things, too. Being versatile and being plugged in, I feel like that’s one of my good things.”

--- Pryor was a lot shorter than most expected. The Louisville safety was listed at 6-2 in college, but officially measured in at 5 feet 11 1/8 inches tall. He did manage 18 reps on the bench press (fourth) and ran the 40 in 4.58, so the speed and strength teams see on film showed up in this setting, too.

“Just allow me to be me," Pryor said in Indy. "Put me in position to make plays. I love watching the Steelers and Seahawks because they’re so aggressive. They’re greedy. They’re built off toughness and that’s the type of system I want to be a part of.”

--- Deone Bucannon was solid across the board. His 4.49 ranked third at the position, his 19 reps ranked third, his 36 ½ inch vertical was third, his 10-feet, 5-inch broad jump rankes second his 6.96-second three-cone drill ranked third and his 4.26-second 20-yard shuttle ranked eighth. Not a bad week for a player that needs to show he can play in space.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/247349551.html
Old 03-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #55
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Knowing the Steelers have Safety needs, was that quote from Pryor a shot to tell the Steelers PICK ME?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #56
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,697 Times in 9,293 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkissle29 View Post
Knowing the Steelers have Safety needs, was that quote from Pryor a shot to tell the Steelers PICK ME?
In 2002, Ed Reed came into the combine interview, talking about Steelers history & tradition and that it was his dream to play for the Steelers. In turn, Reed was mocked to the Steelers in most mock drafts.

And then, the Ravens got him.

Pryor's going to be a Raven.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #57
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,865 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
In 2002, Ed Reed came into the combine interview, talking about Steelers history & tradition and that it was his dream to play for the Steelers. In turn, Reed was mocked to the Steelers in most mock drafts.

And then, the Ravens got him.

Pryor's going to be a Raven.
If Reed became a Steeler, I doubt the Steelers trade up to get Polamalu in 2003. He might have become a Raven.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Sharkissle29 (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #58
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
If Reed became a Steeler, I doubt the Steelers trade up to get Polamalu in 2003. He might have become a Raven.
In "teegre world", the Steelers would have still traded up for Polamalu, and the Steelers would have had the BEST safety tandem in the history of the NFL.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-01-2014), Men of Steel (03-10-2014), pczach (03-01-2014), SH-Rock (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #59
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,703 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
In "teegre world", the Steelers would have still traded up for Polamalu, and the Steelers would have had the BEST safety tandem in the history of the NFL.
With Reed and Troy in the defensive backfield in '04, we steamroll Brady and the Pats, even with their cheating ways to stomp our way to our, then, One For the Thumb and first ever victory in the PA Turnpike-bowl, repeat in 2005 and claim dynasty in the 2000-era.
teegre (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #60
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
With Reed and Troy in the defensive backfield in '04, we steamroll Brady and the Pats, even with their cheating ways to stomp our way to our, then, One For the Thumb and first ever victory in the PA Turnpike-bowl, repeat in 2005 and claim dynasty in the 2000-era.
In "teegre world" the threepeat (that's never occurred in the NFL) happens twice in seven years: 2004, 2005, & 2006, and then again, in 2008, 2009, & 2010.

But, that second threepeat is never appreciated by Steelers fans, because Tomlin did it "with Cowher's players."