Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #131
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,336 Times in 4,002 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor's future with Pittsburgh Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
AJRII says he wants Troy to retire as a Steeler - since Troy has not announced his retirement I think he definitely stays through 2014 - this once again gets back to the Steelers not wanting to repeat the way Franco Harris went out

Cutting Ike Taylor is one thing - the fans will react much differently if they think Troy was not treated properly
This is a problem in and of itself. He wants Troy to retire a Steeler at the cost of the team he fields? This is my gripe with the sentimental feelings this team has. If Troy doesn't take a pay cut, how can anyone rationalize his cap hit?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-02-2014), harrison'samonster (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #132
SteelerJT
Team President

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Every team needs a franchise LT. While I agree that the focus needs to be on defense, if we have the opportunity to grab Albert or Veldheer in order to keep Roethlisberger healthy, we have to pull the trigger. Sure, I'd rather the cap be invested into Orakpo and/or Byrd but, man, a franchise LT for Roethlisberger would be a sight for sore eyes.

Troy had a bounce back year after two years of being ineffective and the inability to stay healthy. When do we cut the cord? If we can cut Troy and bring in Orakpo and draft Bucannon/Smith/Reynolds/Dix, I do it without hesitation.
Now now. I didn't say the team doesn't need a franchise LT. But what evidence is there to suggest that Beachum isn't that man for the Steelers? Ben seemed pretty healthy to me in 2013. And with Munch on board, the whole line stands to improve in technique. Franchise doesn't have to mean top 5.

After one year. He had more tackles and deflections in 2011 than 2013, both seasons of which he played all 16 games.
SteelerJT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerJT For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #133
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
Now now. I didn't say the team doesn't need a franchise LT. But what evidence is there to suggest that Beachum isn't that man for the Steelers? Ben seemed pretty healthy to me in 2013. And with Munch on board, the whole line stands to improve in technique. Franchise doesn't have to mean top 5.

After one year. He had more tackles and deflections in 2011 than 2013, both seasons of which he played all 16 games.
Beachum did play very well for us last year and in the last 7 games, he allowed one sack playing against formidable competition. The fact that he settled into a role and played well shows upside. I would prefer to pour money into a top tier Safety / OLB in free agency, but if we can grab a guy like Veldheer or Albert and kick Beachum over to RT while keeping Gilbert for depth, that would be a great offensive line.

Safety / OLB > CB > T.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #134
SteelerJT
Team President

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Beachum did play very well for us last year and in the last 7 games, he allowed one sack playing against . The fact that he seo a role and played well shows upside. I would prefer to pour money into a top tier Safety / OLB in free agency, but if can grab a guy like Veldheer or Albert and kick Beachum rounders RT while keeping Gilbert for depth, that would be a great offensive line.

Safety / OLB > CB > T.
I just don't see the true need. We've seen the system that keeps Ben healthy, and its not a dominating LT. It's a system that forces him to play quicker. if anything, giving him the illusion of better protection is just asking him to hold onto it longer and take more sacks. Plus, that's effectively throwing away your two 2nd rounders which I don't think they're prepared to do, especially with Much on board.
SteelerJT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelerJT For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-02-2014), jtbsteeler (03-03-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #135
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Jairus Byrd, Bills remain at standstill
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ach-standstill

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Contract talks between the Bills and safety Jairus Byrd were at a standstill on Sunday, a day before Buffalo faces a deadline to apply the franchise tag on the three-time Pro Bowl selection.

People familiar with the situation told The Associated Press talks have stalled and no further discussions are scheduled after the Bills made a lucrative, multiyear offer to Byrd. Without revealing the full value and length of the offer, one person said Byrd would have been paid about $30 million over the contract's first three seasons.

The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because neither side has publicly discussed negotiations.

Unless a deal is reached, the Bills have until 4 p.m. Monday to apply the franchise tag on Byrd and retain the player's rights before he would be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on March 11.

The Bills took that approach last offseason, which led to Byrd playing under a one-year, $6.9 million franchise tag. The price for Buffalo to do so again would increase to about $8.4 million this year.

Byrd has been Buffalo's best defensive back since being selected in the second round of the 2009 draft out of Oregon.

He enjoyed a breakout season as a rookie, when he finished tied for the NFL lead with nine interceptions -- a rookie franchise record.

Last year, Byrd finished tied for the team lead with four interceptions, and added a sack and a forced fumble despite missing the entire offseason before reporting to the team in late August, when he accepted his one-year contract. Byrd then missed the first five games of the season because of plantar fasciitis in both feet.

Despite the time he missed, Byrd still earned his third Pro Bowl selection.

Byrd has 22 interceptions and 11 forced fumbles in 73 career games.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #136
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
I just don't see the true need. We've seen the system that keeps Ben healthy, and its not a dominating LT. It's a system that forces him to play quicker. if anything, giving him the illusion of better protection is just asking him to hold onto it longer and take more sacks. Plus, that's effectively throwing away your two 2nd rounders which I don't think they're prepared to do, especially with Much on board.
No, getting Veldheer or Albert is not going to give a future Hall of Fame Quarterback a false sense of protection. I've agreed with you up until this point. That doesn't make any sense. Haley's system is a quick strike system, granted, but getting a franchise Left Tackle isn't going to result in "more sacks" because Roethlisberger feels safer and reverts back to old ways.

Mike Adams has this off season to show something. Anything. Any kind of significant progress since his rookie season. If he doesn't with Munchak on the coaching staff then he needs to be relegated to a pure depth role. He is, until he proves otherwise, the biggest bust we've had since Limas Sweed.

I'm a big Gilbert fan and think he can be a solid RT in the NFL. I am, however, willing to put him in a depth role if we get a true franchise Tackle and can throw Beachum on the right side.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #137
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Don't see how we're ever going to get Byrd. Even if we cut everyone we can afford to cut, he's going to demand one of the biggest contracts ever for a safety on the open market, and we'll never pony up that amount of cash. I'm drooling about having him though, he gets more picks in a season than our entire secondary combined nowadays.

As far as Ike goes, even if we cut him he'll be brought back on a more cap-friendly deal. He's not going anywhere else at this point in his career and he's not ready to retire either. Just don't get your hopes up that he won't still be our starting CB week 1.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-02-2014), SH-Rock (03-02-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #138
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Steelers likely to make decision on Ike Taylor soon
By Neal Coolong  @NealCoolong on Mar 3 2014, 7:00a 2

With free agency just a week away, the team will likely make some kind of move on cornerback Ike Taylor - more to the point, Taylor's $11.9 million cap number - very soon.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has seen a group of cornerbacks not wearing the No. 24 in just four games since he took over the reins of the Steelers in 2007.

That's an impressive run of longevity for any NFL player, let alone one of the most trying physical and mental positions in the game. Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor, outside of a broken ankle suffered toward the end of the 2012 season, has been the paradigm of consistency in terms of health and fitness.

You can't beat the clock, though. Taylor's age appeared to get the better of him down the stretch last year, and any regression in ability he may show creates a significant problem for the Steelers. One, because cornerback is one of the thinner positions on the team as it prepares to enter free agency March 11. Two, because Taylor is one of the team's most expensive players. After a restructured deal came late last season, Taylor has a cap number of $11.9 million - significantly too high for the level of play witnessed from Taylor over the second half of the year.

The Steelers have two able-bodied cornerbacks along with Taylor who could be counted on to assume starting roles - William Gay and Cortez Allen. That in itself is enough to suggest Taylor won't earn his contracted price for 2014. The real question is whether the Steelers feel they can work out a new arrangement with Taylor, lowering his salary and cap charge enough to bring him back to complete for the starting position he's owned for the better part of the last decade.

(Read More:) http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ncy-ike-taylor

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
fer522 (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #139
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,675 Times in 7,883 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Don't see how we're ever going to get Byrd. Even if we cut everyone we can afford to cut, he's going to demand one of the biggest contracts ever for a safety on the open market, and we'll never pony up that amount of cash. I'm drooling about having him though, he gets more picks in a season than our entire secondary combined nowadays.

As far as Ike goes, even if we cut him he'll be brought back on a more cap-friendly deal. He's not going anywhere else at this point in his career and he's not ready to retire either. Just don't get your hopes up that he won't still be our starting CB week 1.
BYRD
Think if it this way: if everyone was willing to spend $7 million per year for Worilds, who hasn't shown much... why not be willing to pay $11 million per year for Byrd, who not only has shown a lot, but is arguably the second best player at his position in the entire league?

One is a huge gamble, and for $4 million more, one is a lock to improve your team.

Make sense?

IKE
Yep. He'll return, at a reduced rate... as the #2 CB. (That transition, to #2, started in November.)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), SteelersCanada (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #140
SteelStompOut
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25073

My own opinion. Cut Ike. I have high hopes that Cortez can shadow any teams number 1 receiver and at the worst do the same as ike did last year for a much lower cost. Willie Gay takes over the number 2 spot. Nickel back is the tricky part. Do we reach out to a free agent safety like Delmas or in all of our sick dreams Byrd and let Shamarko play the slot? Do we let the forgotten Curtis Brown play the nickel? Or do we Draft a rookie between rounds 1 and 3 and throw him to the wolves early? It all starts with who plays opposite of Troy imo. I did kinda go off topic lol. But ike is at best a number 3 corner now. If we're going to get younger on defense it has to be addressed in all areas. Ike should of been benched last year honestly.
SteelStompOut is offline   Reply With Quote