Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #61
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,024 Times in 4,571 Posts
Default Re: Jason Worilds Given Transition Tag

I don't know that the market value is 10 million for Worilds, though. If Worilds' market is 10 million, what is Aldon Smith's? Von Miller's? One year of solid play shouldn't warrant a 10 million dollar season because we're desperate for a playmaker on the left side of the line.

If anything, Aldon Smith and Von Miller are laughing all the way to the bank. If Worilds gets a 5 year, $45 million dollar deal from us, for example, are those two guys worth 12 - 14 million per year?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #62
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
DL must like this dude. Worilds knows this defense, been part of it for a few years now, and clearly outplayed Woodley last year, (like a certain CB who outplayed Ike that we should've kept, but that's for another thread) I don't see how you NOT try hard to bring him back. I know we have other needs, and I know the Steelers feel on defense that they have 99 problems, but LOLB ain't one...HIT ME!

Sign Worilds and address other defense needs in this deep draft and free agency. Last year, I heard his name called ALOT which means he was constantly making plays. Gotta keep a guy like that!
Great point about Keenan Lewis. Everyone was up in arms that we let him walk without so much as an offer after only 1 productive season under his belt. So now a bunch of people are suggesting we do the same with Worilds so we can bitch about that when he goes and succeeds elsewhere? Damned if you do and damned if you don't, I guess.

What the heck is Colbert supposed to do to please everybody here? If Colbert lets him walk and he tears it up, the same people would crucify him for it.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-03-2014), SteelersCanada (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #63
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
What the heck is Colbert supposed to do to please everybody here? If Colbert lets him walk and he tears it up, the same people would crucify him for it.
Which is absolutely fair. Some will complain either way, but this feels like they're trying to right the Lewis wrong by signing Worilds.

I think it's important we all keep in mind that this doesn't mean Worilds is going to be with us next year. If a team that has a need for a pass rusher and a ton of cap room (Jacksonville springs to mind) that can offer him a front loaded contract with bonuses out the ass, then it nullifies this tag because we couldn't match it.

Woodley may still indeed be the starting LOLB for this team next season. In fact, this tag doesn't necessarily sway that one way or the other. This just ensures that the Steelers are the ones who dictate what happens with Worilds now, not the other way around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #64
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,259 Times in 4,117 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksburg Zach View Post
Any word on Jasom Worilds, Jason Woirlds, Jssom Wprilds, or Jqwerty-Worloids?
I think they're still on the roster, along with jason warlord, james woods, and a jabberwock.
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #65
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,035 Times in 494 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

They were never going to go after Byrd. Seriously, it's a pipe dream. It makes sense on paper but so have countless other pipe dream FAs over the years. If they hadn't signed Worilds, they would have just kept Woodley and used whatever money was left as an excuse not to cut one of the vets who is inevitably going to get cut. The Steelers are never going to outbid everyone else in the league for a 27 year old perennial Pro Bowl ballhawk safety in his prime, it's not how we operate even when we are active in FA.

This is a great move. No, Worilds is not worth nearly $10 mil a year, at least not yet. But for one year, it keeps him around without any future cap commitment and gives us time to negotiate a long term deal with him rather than just lose him completely when we need him most ALA Keenan Lewis. If Worilds regresses, we don't have to re-sign him next year anyway. And if he continues to improve, which I suspect he will, then this move could be what allowed our defense to re-emerge as an elite unit rather than losing another star we spent years developing on the bench only to lose them when they finally broke through and produced.

Worilds and Jarvis will both post double digit sacks this year, bank on it.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #66
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Which is absolutely fair. Some will complain either way, but this feels like they're trying to right the Lewis wrong by signing Worilds.

I think it's important we all keep in mind that this doesn't mean Worilds is going to be with us next year. If a team that has a need for a pass rusher and a ton of cap room (Jacksonville springs to mind) that can offer him a front loaded contract with bonuses out the ass, then it nullifies this tag because we couldn't match it.

Woodley may still indeed be the starting LOLB for this team next season. In fact, this tag doesn't necessarily sway that one way or the other. This just ensures that the Steelers are the ones who dictate what happens with Worilds now, not the other way around.
Righting a wrong or learning from a mistake?

Depends on how you view it. The Steelers' front office doesn't strike me as the type that would throw a ton of money at a guy they didn't feel was worth it just to cover for a past mistake. That's more of a Cleveland thing.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-03-2014), SteelersCanada (03-03-2014), steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #67
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,259 Times in 4,117 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:

Depends on how you view it. The Steelers' front office doesn't strike me as the type that would throw a ton of money at a guy they didn't feel was worth it just to cover for a past mistake. That's more of a Cleveland thing.
definitely agree with you there. Worilds looks like the real thing to me, and this will give us time to keep him around.
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), PhantomJB93 (03-03-2014), steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #68
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,035 Times in 494 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Great point about Keenan Lewis. Everyone was up in arms that we let him walk without so much as an offer after only 1 productive season under his belt. So now a bunch of people are suggesting we do the same with Worilds so we can bitch about that when he goes and succeeds elsewhere? Damned if you do and damned if you don't, I guess.

It's because Jason Worilds has always been the scapegoat because he was never unable to unseat Harrison in his prime, while Keenan Lewis was always the savior because our starting corners, like Worilds, were the scapegoats.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-03-2014), JVip (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #69
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

When you take into account not only this season, but the prior three and failure to be effective on the right side, it could be righting a prior wrong.

I'm rooting for him. I'd never root against any player on this team, but I'm worried about Worilds and whether or not 2013 was a flash in the pan. I hope not, but he really needs to register elite pass rushing numbers and develop his containment, as well as improve upon his ability to seal the edge in the run game.

Maybe as @harrisonsamonster said, the 9.75 was to buy a year and see whether or not he can be a 10+ sack, reliable edge rusher for this team. If not, locking him up would be Woodley all over again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #70
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
definitely agree with you there. Worilds looks like the real thing to me, and this will give us time to keep him around.
I don't think anyone can hate the move.

Without worilds next year we are looking at jarvis/Woodley/carter......jarvis still is a unknown at this point needs to get stronger (I do believe he will be fine but still) Woodley I don't think we can count on him anymore which is a shame and Carter is nothing more than a special teamer,

Worilds yes can still be labeled as unknown but he outplayed all our outside linebackers last season and that to me is a good reason to keep him around. He's is differently. A different player when on the left.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post: