Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #111
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,638 Times in 10,397 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Jason Worilds Given Transition Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Maybe that's the plan. Push his price up so a team with a lot of cap space overpays him even more, so for sure we get a 3rd round pick.
Genius.

Really though, all that the Steelers are doing is what they've always done: pay for their OWN free agents.

I was fine with extending/giving big money to Troy, Ike, Harrison, et cetera... but, this feels like they're giving "Joey Porter money" to "Clark Haggans."

Like I've said, I hope that I'm wrong. I hope Worilds stays healthy, and has 16 sacks this upcoming season.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-04-2014), steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #112
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
soooo, eff you Lamar Woodley, then?
The writing was on the wall last season: when Woodley wasn't "guaranteed" his starting role back (even if healthy), I figured that he'd already been demoted behind Worilds.

Quote:
awkward how SI is putting it on paper - reads like March 11 at 11 pm? so 1 week to figure this out? right, wrong?
I think that that is when free agency starts...

Someone clarify all of this.
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #113
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Genius.

Really though, all that the Steelers are doing is what they've always done: pay for their OWN free agents.

I was fine with extending/giving big money to Troy, Ike, Harrison, et cetera... but, this feels like they're giving "Joey Porter money" to "Clark Haggans."

Like I've said, I hope that I'm wrong. I hope Worilds stays healthy, and has 16 sacks this upcoming season.
you mean 23 sacks in the regular season, followed up by 8 sack run starting in AFC divisional at Heinz, because we earned the #1 seed.

I think you meant to say that 16 was Jones' stat, with a 5 sack run in the playoffs - can't have it all in your 2nd season, except a ring that is.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
teegre (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #114
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
The writing was on the wall last season: when Woodley wasn't "guaranteed" his starting role back (even if healthy), I figured that he'd already been demoted behind Worilds.

I think that that is when free agency starts...

Someone clarify all of this.
Question - once you are tagged, do you fall under category of restricted free agent, if so, espn has a list of dates, including this:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...fl-key-dates-p

May 7: Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
teegre (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #115
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
you mean 23 sacks in the regular season, followed up by 8 sack run starting in AFC divisional at Heinz, because we earned the #1 seed.

I think you meant to say that 16 was Jones' stat, with a 5 sack run in the playoffs - can't have it all in your 2nd season, except a ring that is.
Oh man... pardon my flight into pessimism. What was I thinking.

Duh, yes: 23, 8, and a Lombardi.

Quote:
Question - once you are tagged, do you fall under category of restricted free agent, if so, espn has a list of dates, including this:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...fl-key-dates-p

May 7: Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
There's a different set of rules for restricted FAs, regular FAs, and tagged FAs...

It's "new math."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-04-2014), steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #116
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Oh man... pardon my flight into pessimism. What was I thinking.

Duh, yes: 23, 8, and a Lombardi.

There's a different set of rules for restricted FAs, regular FAs, and tagged FAs...

It's "new math."
HAH! I see the separation, but like in most of my math classes, once we got into too many "factors" I stop paying attention and need it spelled out to me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-04-2014), teegre (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #117
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989

Actually, this was pretty brilliant. They can negotiate at any time including after June 1 when they can free up half of Woodleys dead money. In essence, Woodleys cut money can be used to front load a long term contract for Worilds.

Imagine getting 9 million out of the way on a possible 5 year 30+ million dollar contract. That creates cap relief down the road and if they cut Woodley June 1st, 8.5 million of Worilds 9 million used to be Woodleys money.

Year 1- 9 million
Year 2- 6 million
Year 3- 5 million
Year 4- 5 million
Year 5- 5 million

^^^^how you split it between bonus and base salary each season can create even more cap room.

At the same time, they dont have to make that decision for 6 months and get to see how Woodley looks in the meantime. This buys them "Worilds" of time to get a club friendly, fair deal on the better player. Pun intended.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
CNEW (03-05-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #118
steelersfan77
Team Captain

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Breezy

At least Woodley proved he could stay on the field that got him his big pay check. Wood made plays early in his career, thanks to Harrison doubles, but he still made them. The injury bug hit him and he is all but done. Happens to football players. It'll happen to others.

Some said I was crazy for thinking Worilds would get 10 to 11. I never meant a long term contract. Even the steelers front office doesn't know if Worilds is the real deal. Health? Versatility? Play through pain? Why'd it take so long? Let's put a tag on him, see what he can do. More production or more injuries? Either way in a transition period it doesn't matter. The guys they have now are important but they never took hold of the reigns instead leaning on the guys who had already done it. Now those guys are over and the next bunch, some, are taking their entire rookie contracts to get their shit together and expect big pay days.

The really important players haven't even arrived yet. Buckle down front office scouts.
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelersfan77 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #119
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
I don't think that it's that late. Unlike other FAs, players who are tagged (franchise or transitional) only have a certain window in which they can be signed away.

Does anyone know the exact date?
According to the latest press release by the NFL, that signing period for transition tagged players begins at 4:00 p.m. ET on March 22. Players that were issued the franchise tag, however, have a signing period that begins on March 11, the start of the new league year and the beginning of the free agent signing period. In other words, other teams can't sign Worilds to an offer sheet until 11 days into the start of free agency. Other teams, however, do have until July 22 as a deadline to sign Worilds to an offer sheet.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...ch_22/15919505

So according to this article Worilds can only be signed after teams have sorted through the free agent pile
Buddha Bus (03-04-2014), steelfury02 (03-04-2014), teegre (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #120
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts

Ed.B. calculates the Steelers can get to the cap number by March 11 by extending Health (which Ed says is not yet a done deal) and getting Ike Taylor to get scalped on his current contract

By Worilds getting the big number, it does not bode well for Ike Taylor one way or another. Taylor is scheduled to make $7 million in this the final year of his contract. He’s not going to get that. They could release him, of course, and save $7 million. But no matter how you think he played last season, they have no depth at cornerback. They could ask him to take $2-$3 million and shave their cap by another $4-5 million. Let’s say Taylor takes the $3 million salary and Miller gets the contract extension I suggested above (merely pulled out of a hat, by the way, with no knowledge of their negotiations with Condon).

Those two things would create $6 million in cap space. Cut tackle Levi Brown and his $6.25 million due this season and that’s $12.25 million.

His thoughts on how a Worilds deal might work

They can reduce Jason Worilds current salary cap number of more than $9 million by signing him to a long-term deal. If they, say, give him a $24 million signing bonus on a six-year, $60 million deal, they could give him a $2 million salary this year (with guarantees for a few years) and still reduce his cap by $2-3 million from where it is now for 2014...

So here is what the Steelers can do: Come to terms on a long-term deal with Worilds, essentially giving him what Woodley would have made, an average of $10 million per year. They could do that and actually lower his current salary cap hit for 2014 of $9,754,00, giving them even more savings.

But just getting under the cap by March 11 leaves other problems

But remember in all of these moves that would create salary cap room: The Steelers are going to need it. They have essentially no halfbacks behind Le’Veon Bell, no defensive ends other than Cameron Heyward under contract, little depth in the secondary and they need to sign Cotchery and/or another wide receiver.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201403040002

I think Troy is going to be requested to take a significant reduction for the 2014 season (which IMO will be his last year in the NFL)