Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,580 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

always can counter sue the spoiled brat and tie this case up for a long time.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeckerWood For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Everybody went with the parents' version of events in their comments. Maybe they are telling the truth but we don't know.
is the truth even relevant ? shouldn't a few simple facts be sufficient ?

fact - she is now 18 and therefore considered an adult
fact - she does not live with her parents
fact - there are no laws that state that parents are obligated to pay for their childs college education or private schools.

perhaps her friends "generous" lawyer father could have offered to pay her high school tuition and hoped that they would eventually work it out, rather than throw some gas on the fire.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), fer522 (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-04-2014), Lady Steel (03-05-2014), MACH1 (03-04-2014), NSMaster56 (03-04-2014), SteelCityMom (03-04-2014), Wagen (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
is the truth even relevant ? shouldn't a few simple facts be sufficient ?

fact - she is now 18 and therefore considered an adult
fact - she does not live with her parents
fact - there are no laws that state that parents are obligated to pay for their childs college education or private schools.

perhaps her friends "generous" lawyer father could have offered to pay her high school tuition and hoped that they would eventually work it out, rather than throw some gas on the fire.
Didn't you get the memo MoP? Children are only self sufficient at 26 now.

Seriously though, screw her lawsuit. I remember being pissy with my parents too over rules, chores, boyfriends, whatnot. You're 18 now though, nobody owes you anything.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), fer522 (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-04-2014), MACH1 (03-04-2014), MasterOfPuppets (03-04-2014), NSMaster56 (03-05-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,471 Times in 2,384 Posts

Quote:
Judge rejects financial support requests by New Jersey teen suing parents

A New Jersey honor student suing her parents in a potentially precedent-setting lawsuit had her motions for financial support, including high school tuition payment, denied Tuesday by a judge who said it would set a bad precedent by setting limits on parenting.

Rachel Canning, 18, of Morris Catholic High School, was denied her requests for child support of $654 a week as well as thousands of dollars in attorney fees and immediate reimbursement of her high school tuition.

Morris County Court Judge Peter Bogaard also ruled that Rachel’s parents must keep her on their health insurance policy and keep status quo on all college savings accounts set up for her.

Canning claims her parents threw her out of their Lincoln Park home two days before her 18th birthday in late October, although her parents insist she moved voluntarily.

Canning's father, retired Lincoln Park Police Chief Sean Canning, told The Daily Record of Parsippany that his daughter left home of her own accord because she didn't want to abide by reasonable household rules, such as being respectful, keeping a curfew and doing some chores.

Since moving out, Canning, who has reportedly already been accepted to several colleges, has been living in Rockaway Township with relatives of her best friend. Former Morris County Freeholder John Inglesino is funding the lawsuit, the newspaper reports.

Canning sought to have her parents ordered to immediately pay tuition at Morris Catholic High School, where she is a senior. Her parents have already paid tuition through Dec. 31, but haven’t signed additional checks since Rachel left the family’s home. Administrators at the school have said they won’t kick her out for unpaid 2014 tuition, The New York Post reports.

“This whole thing is just destroying our family,” Sean Canning told The Post. “We love our daughter. She’s our pride and joy. The door is wide open. We want her to come home.”

Canning told the newspaper he and his wife have disagreed on typical family issues.

“I’m a liberal, liberal parent,” he said. “I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I’ve ever been at my home, that’s for sure.”

Legal experts told The Post that the rare case, if successful, could evoke similar suits in the future.

“In my 20 years of practicing family law in New Jersey, I’ve never seen anything like this,” Brian Schwartz, chairman of the New Jersey Bar Association’s Family Law Section, told the newspaper.

Jeralyn Lawrence, the incoming Family Law Section chair, said: “This could open the floodgates of recalcitrant kids fighting with their parents, moving out and then suing for them to keep paying.”

Another hearing to decide whether to require her parents to pay for Canning's college tuition is tentatively scheduled for April 22.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/04...cmp=latestnews

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), fer522 (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-04-2014), Lady Steel (03-05-2014), NSMaster56 (03-05-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

Quote:
Rachel Canning, 18, of Morris Catholic High School, was denied her requests for child support of $654 a week as well as thousands of dollars in attorney fees and immediate reimbursement of her high school tuition.
holy fuck !!! greedy bitch ? half the country is raising entire families on less than that.
reimbursement ? i thought the bill wasn't paid ?
Quote:
Administrators at the school have said they won’t kick her out for unpaid 2014 tuition,

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-04-2014), Lady Steel (03-05-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,657 Times in 10,404 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Everybody went with the parents' version of events in their comments. Maybe they are telling the truth but we don't know.
Here is the girl's version of events:

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), GodfatherofSoul (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-05-2014), NSMaster56 (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #17
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,800 Times in 1,715 Posts
My Mood: Tired

She's 18, she's an adult, GET A JOB AND PAY FOR YOUR SHIT YOURSELF! My Mom helped me fill out the paperwork for financial aid but my parents didn't pay my way through anything and I'm grateful for it because I developed a strong work ethic and sense of individual accomplishment. These kids that have everything handed to them on a silver platter, this is what you get when you spoil them rotten and hand them everything. I'd of been telling her to start applying for jobs at 16. It's apparent she hasn't worked a day in her life as she's living with a friend (mooching, no surprise) when she could be working AND going to school.

I graduated High School and went up to college in a town I'd never lived in or even heard of before. It was for a two year Associate's Degree and I worked the majority of the time I was in college. I was working nights, evenings, and day shifts in between going to classes and volunteering on the local fire department. These college kids whose parents pay for everything and they don't even have to work a single day while going to school... And some people wonder why work ethic is sorely lacking in today's society.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), fer522 (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-05-2014), Lady Steel (03-05-2014), MACH1 (03-05-2014), NSMaster56 (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,546 Posts
My Mood: Amused

If I was her parent, I wouldn't take her shopping for any new shoes after this either. Ha! Take THAT, chicky!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), fer522 (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-05-2014), NSMaster56 (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #19
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,580 Posts

Judge denies teen's attempt to sue parents for money

A high school student suing her parents for living and school tuition costs has lost her first round in court.

Rachel Canning, 18, sued her parents after claiming they kicked her out of their home last year. Her mom, Elizabeth, and dad, Sean, a former police chief, said their daughter left home because she didn’t want to follow house rules.

On Tuesday, a New Jersey judge denied the teen’s request for emergency financial assistance during a court proceeding that brought her together with her parents for the first time since October. The two sides did not exchange any words, although at times Rachel’s parents wept.

Rachel, an athlete, cheerleader and honor roll student, alleges she was verbally and physically abused by her parents before they kicked her out. She is now living with the family of a close friend. Her lawsuit seeks payment for current living expenses and tuition for the private high school she attends now and for school costs once she attends college this fall.

Elizabeth and Sean Canning have denied all claims of abuse. Instead, they say their daughter got upset after they laid down the law following a suspension from school, incidents of drinking and after dating someone they didn’t like.

On Tuesday, a New Jersey judge appeared to side with the parents, when he denied Rachel's request for emergency child support.

“Do we want to establish a precedent where parents live in constant fear of establishing basic rules of the house?” said Morristown Superior Court Judge Peter Bogaard. “Since if they institute a rule that Junior doesn't like, Junior can move out. He can move in with another family, he could sue for child support, attorney's fees, car, cell phone, and a few hundred grand in college.”

The judge recommended the family seek counseling before they return for their next scheduled court appearance in April.

The case generated overwhelming response on TODAY’s Facebook page, where viewers were asked Wednesday whether teens should be allowed to sue their parents.

Nearly everyone found the lawsuit frivolous, with numerous people describing the teenager as a “spoiled brat.” One person responded with only a picture of Veruca Salt, the pampered, overindulged girl from the movie, “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

Greg Vincent called Rachel “a perfect example of the entitlement mentality of the new generation.”

Martha Beatty Kiel Beachell said the lawsuit is a reflection of the times.

“Due to changes in laws, kids have entirely too much power now days. When I was a kid, we obeyed our parents and other adults & had respect for them. Not in this day and time,” she said.

she is going to make some man a great wife some day.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeckerWood For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

She's going to lose and get reamed by the judge. Then I pray the court directs the idiot father of her friend (who is funding this law suit) is forced to pay the court costs of the little bitch's parents.

What kind of an idiot adult funds stupid shit like this? She's going to ultimately miss Mommy and Daddy and the friend and her Father are going to be the odd-man-out when it's all said and done.
harrison'samonster (03-05-2014)