Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #181
Black Gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25445
Default Re: Jason Worilds Signs Transition Contract For 2014

Is 10m that bad for JW?? Forgetting the argument that anyone is worth 10m a year to play games....

This thread seems to suggest we could get him for 6 - 7m a year. I just don’t see how that’s feasible when balanced against some of the deals worked out last year.

Cliff Avril (same sports agency), got a 2 year 15m deal, Kruger hit 5/40, and JW is in a better bargaining position, coming off a better year, and is a (slightly) younger player than the two when they signed over a year ago.

From what I can see our option were:

Proven system player (JW)
More expensive proven system player (Woodley)
Rookie – Roll of the dice, and we need all the draft picks we’ve got this year.
FA – No proven player would have been cheaper and with as much upside. Ex. Phillips is 32.

Letting him go, would still have required us to do something at OLB and doesn’t mean you’re assured Byrd or another quality player at another position. Plus it’s not a cheaper solution. So essentially, all you’d be doing is moving your problem and most probably paying more.

TBH – I’m just happy we’ve made a decision and we’re being pro-active in keeping our best players.
43Hitman (03-05-2014), Buddha Bus (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #182
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Yep - Woodley and Taylor are going to need bandages
Bandages? I'm thinking more like some stitches, some Krazy Glue, a tourniquet, and a plasma IV drip.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #183
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Bandages? I'm thinking more like some stitches, some Krazy Glue, a tourniquet, and a plasma IV drip.
Damn we have a doctor in the house!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #184
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Damn we have a doctor in the house!
I can lend a hand in first aid.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Galax Steeler (03-05-2014), harrison'samonster (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #185
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Default Re: Jason Worilds Given Transition Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Byrd is a FS (not an OLB).

For the past thirteen years (since Darren Perry retired), the Steelers have had a free agent at FS (except for the two years that Chris Hope started): Brent Alexander, the aforementioned Hope, and Ryan Clark.

For whatever reason (maybe FS is easier to pick up), the Steelers have been able to plug a FS in right off if the street.

As far as the cap goes, Byrd wouldn't have been that much more costly.

Like I said, it's done with. Worilds is who they decided to downs $10 million on. And, I hope that Worilds stays healthy enough to continue his "sack per game" pace.
You just said it yourself. Why pay big bucks for a FS when we can get one off the street who can contribute? Why pay the big bucks to one when we really need to keep our OLB (and get a good CB)?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #186
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,729 Times in 8,628 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
You just said it yourself. Why pay big bucks for a FS when we can get one off the street who can contribute? Why pay the big bucks to one when we really need to keep our OLB (and get a good CB)?
Because, Byrd is a top tier player, who would make this defense instantly better.

Imagine Ed Reed (although, Byrd is not as good as Ed Reed) were available. Adding him to a defense makes that defense significantly better.

This team needs a FS, a CB, & an OLB. It doesn't really matter which one they get in free agency, but if they are going to spend $10 million dollars, that player had better be top shelf. For example, they need a CB... should they try to sign just any old CB for $10 million? No, you'd want a #1 for $10 million. Likewise, you'd want a Pro Bowl level OLB for $10 million... and, Worilds "might" be that good, whereas, Byrd already has shown to be that good.

This discussion is now irrelevant, because Worilds will likely sign fir $6-7 million... which is a better value than $10 million.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #187
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Because, Byrd is a top tier player, who would make this defense instantly better.

Imagine Ed Reed (although, Byrd is not as good as Ed Reed) were available. Adding him to a defense makes that defense significantly better.

This team needs a FS, a CB, & an OLB. It doesn't really matter which one they get in free agency, but if they are going to spend $10 million dollars, that player had better be top shelf. For example, they need a CB... should they try to sign just any old CB for $10 million? No, you'd want a #1 for $10 million. Likewise, you'd want a Pro Bowl level OLB for $10 million... and, Worilds "might" be that good, whereas, Byrd already has shown to be that good.

This discussion is now irrelevant, because Worilds will likely sign fir $6-7 million... which is a better value than $10 million.
I agree with you that a top tier player like Byrd would make us instantly better, but when was the last time the Steelers went out and signed a top tier free agent (other than their own) for that kind of money? It's just not their M.O.

Besides, as you already pointed out, Worilds will likely be signing a long-term contract with a more cap friendly number soon anyway. Even if he didn't and we had to pay him the $9.75 million, it's only for one year. With Byrd, we would be on the hook for that price over a 3-5 year span.

It'll work out somehow, Teeg. Keep the faith!!!

teegre (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #188
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Cliff Avril (same sports agency), got a 2 year 15m deal, Kruger hit 5/40, and JW is in a better bargaining position, coming off a better year, and is a (slightly) younger player than the two when they signed over a year ago.
Cliff Avril had 5, 14, 10, 7, & 7 sacks in his first five years. His career is significantly better than Worilds' 10 sacks in four years.

Kruger, like Worilds, was stuck behind a solid starter (Jarret Johnson). His two years of starting at OLB gave him 5.5 & 9 sacks... which is much similar to Worilds' production. BUT, the Browns overpaid for him (as the Browns HAVE to do, because no one wants to play fir them... unless they get paid significantly more than market value).
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #189
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I agree with you that a top tier player like Byrd would make us instantly better, but when was the last time the Steelers went out and signed a top tier free agent (other than their own) for that kind of money? It's just not their M.O.

Besides, as you already pointed out, Worilds will likely be signing a long-term contract with a more cap friendly number soon anyway. Even if he didn't and we had to pay him the $9.75 million, it's only for one year. With Byrd, we would be on the hook for that price over a 3-5 year span.

It'll work out somehow, Teeg. Keep the faith!!!
That's my entire point: the Steelers don't pay $10 million for players... yet, they did for Worilds.

If Worilds were on another team (he was a free agent from Denver) would you have signed him for $10 million?... or, would you have signed Byrd for slightly more? Byrd is easily the answer.

$6-7 million is fair value for Worilds. $10 million was not.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #190
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
That's my entire point: the Steelers don't pay $10 million for players... yet, they did for Worilds.

If Worilds were on another team (he was a free agent from Denver) would you have signed him for $10 million?... or, would you have signed Byrd for slightly more? Byrd is easily the answer.

$6-7 million is fair value for Worilds. $10 million was not.
And my point is that they don't plan on paying him that $9.75 million next year. This was strictly a case of buying some time to negotiate a deal that's best for all. The Steelers can get him at a better price and Worilds gets paid and is guaranteed a starting spot here where he's found his niche. Win-win.

There's no way Byrd would have come here for the price that we will ultimately sign Worilds for.

So your point about the Steelers not paying $10 million to players will hold true, because they don't plan on paying Worilds that money.

And to answer your question, "no", I wouldn't pay Worilds that money as a FA from another team because it would be long-term and locked in. It is neither in this scenario.

teegre (03-05-2014)