Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #51
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: 1974 AFCCG: was this the most important game in PG Steelers History?

[QUOTE=silver & black]Even though I am a die hard Raiders fan, I love Terry Bradshaw. The guy was just an amazing football player. It's hard to believe that he had such a hard time in his early years with the Steelers.

I would take Bradshaw over any QB that has played to date... even Montana.[/QUOTe

You love Bradshaw....so do I. But, I would not take him over Montana. It was the Steelers ground game and defense that created that dynasty of the 70's. If you look at Bradshaw's numbers, he was average at best. What he excelled at was playing well in the big games. If the Steelers of the 70's had Montana as their QB, that would have won more than 4 titles IMO.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #52
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: 1974 AFCCG: was this the most important game in PG Steelers History?

[QUOTE=LambertIsGod58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
Even though I am a die hard Raiders fan, I love Terry Bradshaw. The guy was just an amazing football player. It's hard to believe that he had such a hard time in his early years with the Steelers.

I would take Bradshaw over any QB that has played to date... even Montana.[/QUOTe

You love Bradshaw....so do I. But, I would not take him over Montana. It was the Steelers ground game and defense that created that dynasty of the 70's. If you look at Bradshaw's numbers, he was average at best. What he excelled at was playing well in the big games. If the Steelers of the 70's had Montana as their QB, that would have won more than 4 titles IMO.
You might be right about that.

While I can't argue that Montana wasn't great, I think a lot of what he was has to be attributed to the fact that he had such an outstanding cast around him.

What would Dan Fouts or Dan Marino have been able to do with the 70's Steelers or the 80's 49ers?... or even the 70's Raiders?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #53
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,004 Times in 3,037 Posts

bradshaw himself had said he would do fine and have great numbers if he only had to dink and dunk for 5-20 yards per pass. bradshaw was the blond bomber and taking shots deep downfield became the steelers specialty. of course he was gonna have a lower completion %. if montana were asked to do the same things in the steelers offense his comp % woulda been about 40-45%. montana would fail in the steelers offense. bradshaw coulda dont the west coast with his eyes closed.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #54
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Bradshaw wasn't great because of his decision making....he has as TD's as Int's for his career. We haven't even talked about fumbles yet. Hell, Bradshaw had never thrown for 300yds in a game until 1978 or 1979. He was a rookie in 1970. And on top of that, he consistently start until 1975. Constantly being pulled for "Jefferson Street" Joe Gilliam and Terry Hanratty.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #55
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Don't get me wrong....I love Brad as much as anyone. He's just not as great as people try and give him credit for. With the running game and defense they had, Trent Dilfer could have won four Super Bowl titles. That's my opinion. The sad fact is that we didn't really do anything with Swann & Stallworth until '78. It was more of result of rule changes. So, I guess we'll never really know how great Bradshaw was. Looking at stats and keeping in mind that the game was different then, he wasn't great. He was great in the big games. And that's all that matters.....He was a great QB in the big games.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #56
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts

Bradshaw played within the system that worked at the time - when the Steelers ran the ball for the 1974-75 SB championships, that was how the game was played at the championship level (see, e.g. - Green Bay SB I & II and Miami SB VII & VIII). The Raiders were more fun to watch but until 1976 the Raiders always flamed out in the playoffs (and would have lost to the ball control Steelers that year if Harris & Bleier had not been injured).

To Bradshaw's credit, when the rules changes occurred he immediately had the skills (and, I admit, 2 Hall of Fame WRs) to take advantage. If you ever have a chance to see tapes of the the complete XIII and XIV Super Bowl wins and Bradshaw's throws, his performance compares favorably to anything Montana, Marino, Young & Elway were able to do.

Montana arguably is the best QB of the post-rules change era, but you cannot separate his success from having a coach who designed an offense that is still being run almost 20 years after Walsh retired. In terms of physical talent I am willing to match up Bradshaw with anyone. As far as stats, it is unrealistic to compare pre-rules change and post-rules change QBs by that measure - they are 2 different games.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote