Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Kris Letang Suffered a Stroke Last Week

In a bit of shocking news, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced Friday that star defenseman Kris Letang suffered a stroke last week and will miss at least six weeks. On top of that, further testing revealed that Letang also has a small hole in the wall of his heart that may have contributed to the stroke.

The team says the condition is treatable with blood thinners and is not believed to be career threatening.
Details from the Pens:
Further testing also revealed that Letang, 26, has had a very small hole in the wall of his heart since birth. This small defect in the wall is present in all individuals before birth but seals shut in most people. It is possible that the hole in the heart led to the stroke.

“Kris had one brief episode of dizziness and nausea last week,” Shero said. “We held him out of the Los Angeles game Thursday night, and when he continued to feel ill, tests conducted in Phoenix on Saturday gave us the first indication of his condition. Further testing then was conducted when he returned to Pittsburgh, and he continued to undergo a battery of tests here this week.”

Letang has been cleared to go on vacation with his family during the NHL's Olympic break.

“I hope that by making my condition public at this time, I can help other people by encouraging them to seek medical help if they experience some of the symptoms associated with a stroke – regardless of their age or general health,” Letang said. “It obviously was a shock to get the news but I'm optimistic that I can overcome this and get back on the ice.”

“The most important thing right now, of course, is Kris' health,” Shero said. “We're not thinking about hockey right now. We want to make sure he gets the best possible care and gets better. After six weeks of treatment, doctors will re-evaluate Kris.”
Clearly, this is very scary news. An elite athlete in the prime of his career having a stroke at 26 years old is obviously not something you'd expect to hear.

The good news is that the problem has been identified and Letang is receiving treatment. Obviously, when talking about a stroke and heart issues, this isn't your run-of-the-mill hockey injury and extreme care will be taken.

You have to hope for Letang's sake that things get sorted out and he can continue leading a relatively healthy life first. As he is a professional athlete, you also hope that he can continue on with his career as he still has many good years left.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...east-six-weeks

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. Hopefully they can find a way to manage his condition so he can continue doing what he loves.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-28-2014), harrison'samonster (02-28-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,776 Times in 835 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Kris Letang Suffered a Stroke Last Week

That's crazy! Can't seem to catch a break. Hopefully he recovers fully and gets back on the ice.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Sounding a lot worse than what was initially reported on.

Penguins' Letang addresses stroke; return uncertain
Thursday, 02.27.2014 / 1:24 PM / News
By Wes Crosby - NHL.com Correspondent

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang is not sure if he will return this season after sustaining a stroke in January.

Letang, who has missed Pittsburgh's past five games, said he is not targeting a specific date for his return and is instead "targeting day-by-day." The 2013 Norris Trophy finalist is training but has not returned to his normal workout regimen.

He said he started using light weights and is gradually building toward his usual routine.

"I have some good days, some bad days [physically]," Letang said. "I think the most difficult thing is around family, everybody is really careful. I can't even lift their luggage without having them try to help me out.

"Otherwise, it's been just mentally a little bit tough."

Letang said he would like to play as soon as possible, but "there are many things" that will not allow him to rush his return. He will undergo more tests in two or three weeks then decisions regarding his potential return can be made.

The 26-year-old defenseman was found by his wife on the floor the morning he had the stroke; he was preparing to leave for Pittsburgh's road trip to Los Angeles. He was conscious, but his body was not functioning properly.

"The day before, I was totally fine. I was practicing and I woke up that morning not expecting that to happen and it happened like this," Letang said. "My family is really worried. That was a difficult part. When you see your mom crying or your wife or any of my family members, it's always a tough thing to handle."

His wife did not call for paramedics as his mother-in-law, who is a nurse, treated him. Letang traveled to Los Angeles with his mother thinking his symptoms would clear, but "it never did."

Doctors have monitored Letang since his stroke, meeting with him twice a week, he said. Letang will stay on blood-thinners for the time being. He said the hole that was discovered in his heart might have been the cause of his stroke, but it isn't certain.

The symptoms Letang is experiencing stem from the damage the stroke did to his brain and do not correlate with the hole in his heart. He said he is not focused on having surgery to mend the hole.

Letang has been visible around Penguins facilities over the past week and has watched some Pittsburgh practices.

"To be around the team and coming to the rink, working out, seeing doctors, I feel like I'm trying to make steps to get closer to come back at one point," Letang said.

Defenseman Brooks Orpik said the Penguins have appreciated seeing Letang around and hopes he can return for the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"He seems like he's in good spirits. Obviously a really scary situation there," Orpik said. "I know a lot of us were giving him grief at the time and he was laughing about it too. He thought it was something a lot more minor and obviously it turned out to be something pretty scary.

"I think we're just glad to see him around. Hopefully he just keeps getting better and stays patient with it."

After being told he had a stroke, Letang called his wife to help translate the word because he did not understand it due to a language barrier. Once he understood what had happened, he said he "didn't really believe it."

"I kind of figured it out and from there you think if you're going to be alright," Letang said. "If I'm going to have the chance to play hockey again, but I was surrounded by great doctors. They took great care of me, and all my questions were answered and I'm making progress, I guess."

After missing 24 games with injuries this season, Letang said he is frustrated, but that missing a large portion of the season will not affect his play if he is able to return.

"I'm going to say, it's not really a good season for me, not really lucky," he said. "But honestly, if I have the chance to come back this year and play, it's going to be great and I want make sure I forget all about the three quarters of the season I missed."

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said the team was shocked when informed of Letang's condition.

"We had seen him skate and be fine skating and do a morning skate," Bylsma said. "Now he's working out and he's active and he's pretty normal back there. So, I think it's just good for him to be around the guys.

"He's doing well and working out, and looking down the road to what the possibilities are."

Doctors have told Letang he is part of a small percentage of people who have suffered a stroke at his age, but that his youth gives him a good chance at returning to normal.

"I've been focusing on just talking to my doctors and going to rehab," Letang said. "It's kind of reassuring that I will play again."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Well that sucks. Here's to hoping for a speedy and full recovery. I'd hate to see someone's career cut short so young for something like this. Crazy.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Well that sucks. Here's to hoping for a speedy and full recovery. I'd hate to see someone's career cut short so young for something like this. Crazy.
Agree. Glad he's got family and friends around to help him as well.

This baffled the hell out of me though. I just told the hubby that if I'm ever on the floor unable to move, please take me to the hospital instead of calling his mother to help (she's a nurse). He replies with "Duh."

The 26-year-old defenseman was found by his wife on the floor the morning he had the stroke; he was preparing to leave for Pittsburgh's road trip to Los Angeles. He was conscious, but his body was not functioning properly.

His wife did not call for paramedics as his mother-in-law, who is a nurse, treated him. Letang traveled to Los Angeles with his mother thinking his symptoms would clear, but "it never did."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-28-2014), Buddha Bus (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,136 Times in 2,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Agree. Glad he's got family and friends around to help him as well.

This baffled the hell out of me though. I just told the hubby that if I'm ever on the floor unable to move, please take me to the hospital instead of calling his mother to help (she's a nurse). He replies with "Duh."
That made no sense to me either - it seemed clear to me he had some major medical issues going on - someone with medical training presumably would get that

It might make financial (but not common) sense not to get treatment if he was in the process of negotiating a big contract extension and wanted to hide medical issues, but that was done last summer

He is lucky he did not suffer something irreversible before getting treatment - glad it looks like a full recovery is possible
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 1,835 Times in 698 Posts
My Mood: Cynical

Kris Letang cleared to practice after stroke

Less than seven weeks after sustaining a stroke, Kris Letang was cleared to practice with the Pittsburgh Penguins and will join the team for practice Monday.

Letang, who has not played since a Jan. 29 stroke and resulting discovery of a small hole in his heart, has been taken off blood thinner medication. The defenseman has missed the past 14 games.

''He still has some other things to go through (before returning to game action),'' Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said, ''but we knew that this was the six-week mark (since the stroke diagnosis) and there was a chance. He's been working out, he's been skating and doing quite a bit on his own.''

A Norris Trophy finalist as the league's top defenseman last season, Letang signed an eight-year, $58 million contract extension last summer. He has 10 goals and eight assists in 34 games this season.

Letang did not skate at all for more than four weeks after the stroke and was not skating vigorously until this past week.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/p...-stroke-031614
Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Just in time for the playoffs!

Quote:
Kris Letang will return to the ice tonight 10 weeks after suffering a stroke. Welcome back Tanger!

GM Ray Shero: Kris was cleared by doctors and it was his choice on when to return. He's been bugging me for a while to play.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Because Derrick Rose is a sissy.