Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,426 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Of course we're taking corner first we're taking Dennard

Seeing how the FO likes MSU prospects and the fact we seem to like A.Rob kinda shows how we are going to draft.

Get a corner in the 1st(Dennard) then give Ben a big WR(A.Rob) to help put points on the board while the defense re-tools.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,789 Times in 3,798 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
You surely can, and I'd love to see it. But I'm not sure LeBeau will be doing that in his 80th year of coaching, lol.

They did it beautifully that week. Then abandoned it, rarely to use it again.

A lot of my opinion here comes from my bias against first-round CBs. I hate 'em, lol. It's such a fickle position; guys go from elite to garbage to mediocre to garbage on a yearly basis. It's a position so dependent on scheme (and the thick skin of the CB himself) that I've grown to just despise taking them that early.

It's also such a dependent position - dependent upon the rulebook. Beyond five yards (blink of an eye), there's so little a CB is allowed to do to affect the play. in Roger's NFL, his job after the five-yard mark is often to trot and hope the ball gets underthrown. They simply don't have as much opportunity to affect a play as other defensive positions.

So a lot of it's just me. But the seemingly poor success rate of first-round CBs scares me. Unless you're talking an ELITE player - elite athlete, elite skills - I'd pretty much always rather wait. I'm talking a Pat Peterson or a Joe Haden; otherwise, I think you get the same quality later on. I'm sure that if I were a GM I'd wind up passing on some solid CBs. Just my philosophy.
I think CBs are the hardest position to evaluate exactly because of some of the things you talk about. Many need to be in a particular scheme because they can't play any other way.

Even if you find one with exceptional talent, they sometimes lose their mental edge and confidence and they're never the same player.

That said, I have to believe in what I see in a player. I don't get excited about first round cornerbacks often. Every once in a while I see a player that I think I can trust to be special.

Sometimes you gotta have a little faith.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Idioteque (04-13-2014)