Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,082 Posts
My Mood: Twisted
Default Re: 2012 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
1. I hear your point: instead of Adams, they could have drafted "_____."

2. I truly don't think it would have been David, because (IMO) Spence was the better prospect.

3. James Harrison took four years to figure things out. Wes Welker & Yancey Thigpen were both cut (by the Chargers) and ended up being Pro Bowl caliber players. In other words, in two years, our thoughts very well could be that Mike Adams was actually a very good choice to have made.
and Drew Brees was a bust in San Diego until they got Phillip Rivers and it provided the pressure behind him. Sometimes they need a good fire lit under their butts.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,978 Times in 4,557 Posts

Quote:
1. I hear your point: instead of Adams, they could have drafted "_____."

2. I truly don't think it would have been David, because (IMO) Spence was the better prospect.

3. James Harrison took four years to figure things out. Wes Welker & Yancey Thigpen were both cut (by the Chargers) and ended up being Pro Bowl caliber players. In other words, in two years, our thoughts very well could be that Mike Adams was actually a very good choice to have made.
I think you're treading in dangerous waters (speaking of water, it's 40 degrees here you San Diego, ocean having, beach-going bastard) here. When is the cutoff for prospects after they haven't shown any tangible progression? I realize second round picks are given more leeway and leash than say a fifth round pick, but when do we say enough is enough?

I hope you're right about Spence. Lavonte is arguably the best WLB in the NFL, and if Spence is as good or even close, we're going to have a special player on our hands.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-22-2014), teegre (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #33
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,675 Times in 9,282 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I think you're treading in dangerous waters (speaking of water, it's 40 degrees here you San Diego, ocean having, beach-going bastard) here. When is the cutoff for prospects after they haven't shown any tangible progression? I realize second round picks are given more leeway and leash than say a fifth round pick, but when do we say enough is enough?

I hope you're right about Spence. Lavonte is arguably the best WLB in the NFL, and if Spence is as good or even close, we're going to have a special player on our hands.
It's cold. I actually had to use a blanket last night.

I'd say the timeline depends on the development. If the coaches see development, then you keep him. If there is no development, then the timetable shortens.

That injury (Spence) was one of the most crushing blows to this team in quite a few years. I truly think that LeBeau had a plan for him. Alas...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (04-22-2014), steelfury02 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #34
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Indeed.
I always knew that Wilson was a pipedream. I envisioned him taking over for BB in 2016, but I'm happy for him, that he's starting elsewhere.

DD was always my guy. I wanted him as a Steeler for two entire years, and we got him.

Ta'amu was also a guy who I watched for over a year, and I thought was going to go R1; I thought that I'd have to choose between him & DD (which was no choice: DD all the way). Then, he injured his shoulder, and fell. I thought it would be him or Spence in R2.

Mike Adams surprised me. And, at that point, I figured that both Spence & Ta'amu were goners. So, when the Steelers got both of them, I swore that it was the best draft ever. Alas...

Boykin would (obviously) have been the better choice (especially over Ta'amu), but I still think that Spence would have been one of the best players in that draft. You can't predict injuries, and I'd pick Spence a hundred times out of a hundred chances.
I couldn't believe that we nabbed Ta'amu in round 4. I still think we should have kept him instead of our current back up NT...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pancake For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,675 Times in 9,282 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I couldn't believe that we nabbed Ta'amu in round 4. I still think we should have kept him instead of our current back up NT...
I thought that it was the biggest steal of the decade.

And, yes, it's odd that the simply let him go.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #36
Idioteque
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25859

Fred Gibson. Now THAT was odd.

Urbik too.
Idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote