Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,099 Times in 2,113 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default RIP Jack Ramsay

Died in his sleep last night per Mike and Mike

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,099 Times in 2,113 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default Re: RIP Jack Ramsay

Hall of Fame NBA coach Dr. Jack Ramsay died Monday in Naples, Fla., having battled cancer for more than a decade and a half.

He was 89. Family members say he died peacefully in his sleep.

Ramsay has long been an icon in Portland, remembered as much for his distinctive 1970s fashion sense as for the city's only NBA championship.

In his 20 seasons as coach, Ramsay made the playoffs 16 times. He also won a title while serving as general manager of the Philadelphia 76ers in the 1966-67 season. Ramsay was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1992.

Ramsay attributed a lot of his coaching philosophies to his time in the Navy during World War II, where he worked in underwater demolition, the forerunner of today's Navy Seals. He wrote about it on ESPN.com in 2011.

"I learned how important physical conditioning is. I learned how to focus on an objective in spite of all kinds of hazards. I learned how to deal with stress, too," he wrote. "If you make a wrong move with explosives, it could be deadly. If you're there when they blow up the beach, you get blown up, too. So you need to get your job done correctly ... then pull the fuse with enough lag time for you to clear the area completely and get picked up by the small boats.

"I also learned that my connection with my team members was best handled by being in there with them."

Ramsay was born in 1925 and attended Upper Darby high school and St. Joseph's University, both in Pennsylvania. After the Navy, and coaching at St. Joseph's, he coached the 76ers, the Buffalo Braves, the Trail Blazers and the Pacers.

His funeral is scheduled for Thursday.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-77-title-dies

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,678 Posts
Default Re: RIP Jack Ramsay

RIP - an excellent coach who had a great second career as a broadcaster