Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Unhappy For First Time Since 1995, Bettis Not in Steelers Camp

http://sports.excite.com/news/07302006/v1174.html

================================================

By ALAN ROBINSON

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) - A tractor trailer parked behind the Pittsburgh Steelers' training camp practice fields carries a huge image of Jerome Bettis. Search the camp, though, and there's no Bus to be found.

For the first time since 1995, the Steelers are holding a training camp without the NFL's No. 5 career rusher on their roster. That might be why the first practice of camp Sunday didn't seem as loud as many others held since 1996.

"It's a little different, not seeing his smile," coach Bill Cowher said. "But it's part of that process of moving on."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, one of Bettis' closest friends on the team, talked to Bettis last week and recently attended Bettis' wedding in Jamaica. But Roethlisberger didn't think about Bettis not being on the field Sunday until it was mentioned to him.

"The last thing I was thinking about was that Jerome wasn't going to be out there," Roethlisberger said. "But I've got things to worry about here - Willie Parker is back there and Verron Haynes and Duce (Staley), we've got good running backs there."

That there was little talk Sunday about Bettis' absence also reflects the Steelers' put-it-in-the-past mentality regarding their first Super Bowl victory in 26 years. No player has been seen wearing a Super Bowl ring since the Steelers reported to camp Friday.

"We don't even think about that," Roethlisberger said. "No one here has their ring on, no one's wearing Super Bowl hats, no one's wearing Super Bowl shirts. We don't really care about it - only the fans do. We're moving on."

Also, it's not as though the Steelers won't see Bettis soon enough. Now an NFL analyst for NBC, Bettis is likely to attend the Sept. 7 opener against the Dolphins that will be televised by the network.

Bettis, the No. 2 rusher in Steelers history to Hall of Famer Franco Harris, retired minutes after the Steelers won their first Super Bowl since the 1979 season by beating Seattle 21-10 in February.

Bettis was used mostly as a backup last season, but had a 100-yard game in a key December victory against the Bears that ended a three-game Steelers losing streak. He also was their leading rusher in two of their four postseason games.

That large image of Bettis is expected to remain for the rest of camp. He is pictured on the side of a truck that brought some of the Steelers' exhibits and memorabilia from Heinz Field to St. Vincent College for their fans to see during camp.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665
Default Re: For First Time Since 1995, Bettis Not in Steelers Camp

its gona b sad not seein bettis in the black N gold, but he gave us a lot 2 remember..I still remember the first time we got bettis I ran and got his jersey, back then they were made by starter,and I still have it hangin in my room... #36 u will b missed..

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I think Ben has the right attitude here - it's time to move on as Jerome has. Time to get ready to defend that Lombardi and I'm sure Bettis will be cheering them on wherever he may be. It is going to be sad, though, watching the first game and not seeing him running out of that tunnel all pumped up. Jerome will be replaced on the field but never in Steelers fans' hearts.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
I think Ben has the right attitude here - it's time to move on as Jerome has. Time to get ready to defend that Lombardi and I'm sure Bettis will be cheering them on wherever he may be. It is going to be sad, though, watching the first game and not seeing him running out of that tunnel all pumped up. Jerome will be replaced on the field but never in Steelers fans' hearts.
Agreed....the telling thing in that story is Ben's attitude....the more I see and hear of him...the better I'm liking it...no ring....no shirts...no talk of last year...focus on the task ahead of you....

I miss Bettis too...but..no time for sentimental reflection for this team...moving on....
Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Bettis no longer in camp is strange, but not seeing him run out of the tunnel and not having his name announced while being surrounded by cheers on game day is going to be very strange.

But, all good things must come to an end and in the words of the great Joe Dirt, we gotta "keep on, keepin' on".

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-31-2006 at 07:18 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

I'll admit it was weird not having Bettis there, I kinda forgot about it...all the players were walking up after practice and whenever the fans would start cheering really loudly my coworkers and I would try to figure out who it was. a couple of times I thought it would be the Bus, then I remembered. sad, but I'm glad Ben has a great attitude about it, that's what we need!
melroseplace is offline   Reply With Quote