Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #21
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,983 Times in 4,248 Posts
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 8.5.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Funny you mention the Vikings game. Ben passed 50 times and got sacked 5 times. I think Adams was credited with 3 sacks allowed. If you watch Adams in that game he does a nice job of riding Jared Allen out the back of the pocket several times, but everybody remembers the 3 sacks on 50 snaps. My 90% estimation isnt exact, but close IMO. On the line, you break down 5 times a game and you are on the bench.

Nobody used to write good things about Willie Colon either. They said he either false started or was called for holding 4 times a game. Actual stats showed something like 13 penalties for the season they won the super bowl. I said early on that his technique and effort were far better than Max Starks, he was just shorter.

My point is that most fans just like to bitch about O linemen and dont understand how to play the position. They take the word of sportswriters as gospel because they dont know that writers dont know crap about O linemen either.

I'm saying that I havent seen Adams yet this year and I havent seen a report from Tunch Ilkin or somebody that knows O line play to comment on his progression. Bouchette says in his chat, he heard Adams had a couple rough practices but has rebounded from those, but the masses here that haven't seen anything think he is getting cut tomorrow.

Point of it is, I will wait to see players play with my own eyes, rather than trust reports like Jordan Dangerfield is the 2nd coming of Kenny Easley.
The same Willie Colon that we got rid of the moment something better came along? I guess that makes Adams and Colon similar. Once Beachum flashed his potential, Mike sat right on the bench. It's also worth noting that Adams was benched two days after the game vs. Minnesota. This isn't a coincidence in my mind. His play against the Vikings and Jared Allen was absolutely abysmal.

Right, and your point is fair. Adams has become a whipping boy around here, but most of that is completely understandable. In the two years he's been on this team, he hasn't shown any signs of development. The reports coming out of camp are very clear - the offensive line looks good. If Munchak has been able to work his magic with the rest of the offensive line, why hasn't he been able to work with Adams? Why does the line look as good as it does, but Adams still look like a Division II Tackle?

A couple of rough practises included getting bull rushed and run over by a 5'8 195 lbs. Safety and being tossed around by a very raw, ultimately developmental UDFA in Howard Jones. The rebound I keep hearing about hasn't been reported anywhere else. I'm interested to know if this rebound came against the second team defense, as Gilbert and Beachum have been taking all first team reps.

We've seen Adams with our own eyes. We've seen him play to the point of where he was benched in favour of a 7th round rookie. We've seen him make no discernible development since his rookie season. At what point do we call a spade a spade?

It wouldn't be at all surprising to see him released before the season starts. Why we didn't sign Eric Winston when we had the chance is mind boggling to me.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,099 Times in 3,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I asked Tony the same question - when do you finally say enough is enough? Does Roethlisberger have to go down because of a missed assignment before we release this kid?
ben took every snap last season for the first time in his career. adams started about half those games. or are you talking about like all the other times ben has gotten hurt when all our other great linemen have been in there (before adams was drafted)?

as for shamarko bull rushing him, the coaches gave him a pass because he very obviously slipped in a small patch of mud. i guess fittipaldo wasnt close enough on the practice field to notice.

2 tweets. thats all you got.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,437 Times in 2,736 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I'm a little disappointed in adams, in my opinion a 2nd rounder should be damn near NFL ready off the bat. I'm starting to get impatient with the slow rate he's developing at.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
I'm a little disappointed in adams, in my opinion a 2nd rounder should be damn near NFL ready off the bat. I'm starting to get impatient with the slow rate he's developing at.
join the club.

Quote:
Why we didn't sign Eric Winston when we had the chance is mind boggling to me

...or max starks.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #25
SteelerJT
Team Owner

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,958 Posts

Until Guy Whimper is cut, Adams is safe for me.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #26
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,964 Times in 4,647 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
It wouldn't be at all surprising to see him released before the season starts.
when the other OTs competing for a backup job are named Guy Whimper, Wesley Johnson and Emmanuel McCray I would be very surprised if Adams were released before the season starts...
Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #27
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,437 Times in 2,736 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
when the other OTs competing for a backup job are named Guy Whimper, Wesley Johnson and Emmanuel McCray I would be very surprised if Adams were released before the season starts...
Whimper has actually been not bad in backup duty. But yeah he should be able to beat out johnson and mccray for now.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ben took every snap last season for the first time in his career. adams started about half those games. or are you talking about like all the other times ben has gotten hurt when all our other great linemen have been in there (before adams was drafted)?

as for shamarko bull rushing him, the coaches gave him a pass because he very obviously slipped in a small patch of mud. i guess fittipaldo wasnt close enough on the practice field to notice.

2 tweets. thats all you got.
Adams did not start half the games last season. He was benched after the first four because of poor play. You know, after the game in which he gave up 3 sacks and 6 hurries? Any number of the hits and sacks he had given up in the first four games could have resulted in injury. Though, I'm sure it's a coincidence that our line gave up 7 sacks in the remaining 7 games in which Adams didn't play.

Did he slip when Howard Jones made him his bitch too?

2 tweets? LOL. Tony, I can't even tell if this is trolling or not. Not the countless reports of Adams having a piss poor camp, I have two tweets.

I can't even...
Old 08-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #29
tony hipchest

Quote:
Adams did not start half the games last season. He was benched after the first four because of poor play. You know, after the game in which he gave up 3 sacks and 6 hurries? Any number of the hits and sacks he had given up in the first four games could have resulted in injury. Though, I'm sure it's a coincidence that our line gave up 7 sacks in the remaining 7 games in which Adams didn't play.

Did he slip when Howard Jones made him his bitch too?

2 tweets? LOL. Tony, I can't even tell if this is trolling or not. Not the countless reports of Adams having a piss poor camp, I hav

I can't even...
He played in 15 games last year.

Adams will not be getting cut. I will be right and you will be wrong.

Any tweets or reports how troy is looking at ILB in camp this year?

Countless reports? I can count them... 1...2....3... tweets.

Just so you know, bloggers in their parents basement regurgitating twitter does not count as a "report"
Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #30
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
He played in 15 games last year.

Adams will not be getting cut. I will be right and you will be wrong.

Any tweets or reports how troy is looking at ILB in camp this year?
There's a difference in playing and starting games. He also took snaps as a TE, is the the TE of the future?

Thank Christ he isn't playing ILB this year. Looks like they've negated that mistake by drafting Shazier. Of course, if they'd ask you, Troy didn't make any mistakes last year and the experiment was an overwhelming success.