Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #31
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,794 Times in 3,690 Posts
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 8.5.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
There's a difference in playing and starting games. He also took snaps as a TE, is the the TE of the future?

Thank Christ he isn't playing ILB this year. Looks like they've negated that mistake by drafting Shazier. Of course, if they'd ask you, Troy didn't make any mistakes last year and the experiment was an overwhelming success.
And if they asked you, you would refer them to twitter, and Cheeto eating bloggers...
Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #32
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,139 Times in 448 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if these 2 join steelersfever, we may have enough clowns to fill the back of a VW!
whos to say they are not already here
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vasteeler For This Useful Post:
tony hipchest (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #33
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote:
The same Willie Colon that we got rid of the moment something better came along? I guess that makes Adams and Colon similar. Once Beachum flashed his potential, Mike sat right on the bench. It's also worth noting that Adams was benched two days after the game vs. Minnesota. This isn't a coincidence in my mind. His play against the Vikings and Jared Allen was absolutely abysmal.

Right, and your point is fair. Adams has become a whipping boy around here, but most of that is completely understandable. In the two years he's been on this team, he hasn't shown any signs of development. The reports coming out of camp are very clear - the offensive line looks good. If Munchak has been able to work his magic with the rest of the offensive line, why hasn't he been able to work with Adams? Why does the line look as good as it does, but Adams still look like a Division II Tackle?

A couple of rough practises included getting bull rushed and run over by a 5'8 195 lbs. Safety and being tossed around by a very raw, ultimately developmental UDFA in Howard Jones. The rebound I keep hearing about hasn't been reported anywhere else. I'm interested to know if this rebound came against the second team defense, as Gilbert and Beachum have been taking all first team reps.

We've seen Adams with our own eyes. We've seen him play to the point of where he was benched in favour of a 7th round rookie. We've seen him make no discernible development since his rookie season. At what point do we call a spade a spade?

It wouldn't be at all surprising to see him released before the season starts. Why we didn't sign Eric Winston when we had the chance is mind boggling to me.
WRONG.....the same Willie Colon the Steelers signed to a 5-year deal after his 4 year rookie contract was up.

If you are going to include fiction and manufactured reality in our discussion, there is no need to continue. We can just talk about how great Demarcus Van Dyke is instead.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #34
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,875 Times in 677 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Just a few of my thoughts:

1. From this day forward, anybody who even suggests that Lawrence Timmons is a "bust" must receive a swift kick in the balls immediately.

2. Same with anybody who suggests that Ben Roethlisberger should be traded or allowed to play out the remainder of his contract.

3. I'm beginning to lose my patience with Mike Adams. If Mike Munchak can coach up every offensive lineman except him, then that's a bad omen.

4. Max Starks and Willie Colon were average at best. Anybody who thinks they were even "solid" has terribly low standards for offensive line performance. We don't need them, and it wouldn't even be nice to have them at this point either.

5. This is the best I've felt about the offense since 2007.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
CNEW (08-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-06-2014), HeinzMustard (08-07-2014), SteelerJT (08-06-2014), teegre (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,599 Times in 8,917 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Just a few of my thoughts:

1. From this day forward, anybody who even suggests that Lawrence Timmons is a "bust" must receive a swift kick in the balls immediately.

2. Same with anybody who suggests that Ben Roethlisberger should be traded or allowed to play out the remainder of his contract.

3. I'm beginning to lose my patience with Mike Adams. If Mike Munchak can coach up every offensive lineman except him, then that's a bad omen.

4. Max Starks and Willie Colon were average at best. Anybody who thinks they were even "solid" has terribly low standards for offensive line performance. We don't need them, and it wouldn't even be nice to have them at this point either.

5. This is the best I've felt about the offense since 2007.
1. Agree

2. Agree 100%

3. Give Munchack time. He's had three weeks. Give him the rest of the season.

4. Eh.

5. I'd say that this might be the best Steelers offense ever.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-06-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #36
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,390 Times in 4,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
WRONG.....the same Willie Colon the Steelers signed to a 5-year deal after his 4 year rookie contract was up.

If you are going to include fiction and manufactured reality in our discussion, there is no need to continue. We can just talk about how great Demarcus Van Dyke is instead.
Which Guard position is he playing this season for us? I could have sworn he was a part of one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL on the Jets, but I've been wrong before.

Are you arguing the Guard we cut after something better came along (something I've said now twice) was a solid player for us? The cap casualty player?

I mean... I don't even know.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #37
tony hipchest

Quote:
Which Guard position is he playing this season for us? I could have sworn he was a part of one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL on the Jets, but I've been wrong before.

Are you arguing the Guard we cut after something better came along (something I've said now twice) was a solid player for us? The cap casualty player?

You cant make the club in the tub. C'mon man, everyone knows that!

Colon missed all but one game in the 2010-11 seasons due to injury. This past season he did not play in five games because of injuries.

And since you like twittersphere bloggers so much, here is one who was COMPLETELY wrong who thought Willie should be kept despite 3 years of injuries and a cap hit approaching $10 mil/year-

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...2013-2014-2015

Which begs the question... arent you going to look foolish when Adams makes the 53 man roster?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #38
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,162 Posts

Quote:

I think Tony's post below is a nice reminder that Colon was cut due to missing a couple seasons with torn achilies and torn arm muscle injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
You cant make the club in the tub. C'mon man, everyone knows that!

Colon missed all but one game in the 2010-11 seasons due to injury. This past season he did not play in five games because of injuries.

And since you like twittersphere bloggers so much, here is one who was COMPLETELY wrong who thought Willie should be kept despite 3 years of injuries and a cap hit approaching $10 mil/year-

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...2013-2014-2015

Which begs the question... arent you going to look foolish when Adams makes the 53 man roster?
Thank you for being able to remember the Steelers history for those who might not have been around at that time.

When a player finishes his 4 year contract and is given a 5 year contract by the same team, I think that shows some indication of the team being pleased of his performance. That is just my opinion, but I guess some could see it as kicking him to the curb when the next best thing came along.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #39
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

When a player finishes his 4 year contract and is given a 5 year contract by the same team, I think that shows some indication of the team being pleased of his performance. That is just my opinion, but I guess some could see it as kicking him to the curb when the next best thing came along.
In 2011, the Steelers rewarded Colon with a 5 yr/$29 mil contract, which at the time, made him one of the highest paid RT's in the game.

By todays standards, even with the explosion of salaries and inflation, his $5.8 mil/year contract would still be the 5th highest $$$ value salary for an NFL RT-

http://overthecap.com/top-player-sal...hp?Position=RT

1. Gosder Cherilus $7 mil
2. Anthony Davis $6.6
3. Phil Loadholdt $6.25
4-7. Four players $6 mil including Andre Smith and Anthony Collins
8. Willie Colon $5.8
9. Michael Oher $5

Mike Adams rookie salary- $885,000+

He was cut due to many injurie concerns, and the Steelers dire need to manage the cap going forward.

One might as well simply say Lamaar Woodley was kicked to the curb because the next best thing, Jarvis Jones or Jadigs Worms came along.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #40
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I actually think Starks was a solid LT, he never lived up to his potential which I think rubbed alot of people wrong. However, when he played, he was our best option at the time and he helped make a terrible OL better.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote