Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Silicor
Water Boy

Member Number: 26004
Default Team needs a mentality shift

The Steelers get results, but is anyone besides me sick of...
- losing to inferior teams, while playing most tough teams tough
- rarely taking any kind of major lead
- having to have a chip on their shoulders to perform

With so many offensive weapons and most likely a better than average defense the Steelers should get a few blowouts. I'm realistic and we will work the clock, but every game shouldn't be a fight from behind affair or a last minute nail biter. I don't have data to support these observations, but it is my opinion that this has been the MO since Cowher.

This is my first post on this forum, but I'm a professional lurker and I constantly see comments like:
"oh crap, playing the worse team in the league"
"we play better when underdogs"
"love it when the media is against us"

I can't explain it, I don't know how to fix it, but it really irritates me. Only thing I can attribute it to is offensive leadership. Ben is a winner, but he isn't a front-runner.

Any thoughts?
Silicor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Silicor For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (08-13-2014), harrison'samonster (08-12-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-12-2014), NSMaster56 (08-13-2014), steelfury02 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,398 Times in 3,519 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Team needs a mentality shift

don't know but we get the worst luck at times. like whats the deal with suisham missing 30 yard field goals in oakland? those should be chip shots for any NFL kicker
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicor View Post

With so many offensive weapons and most likely a better than average defense the Steelers should get a few blowouts. I'm realistic and we will work the clock, but every game shouldn't be a fight from behind affair or a last minute nail biter. I don't have data to support these observations, but it is my opinion that this has been the MO since Cowher.

This is my first post on this forum, but I'm a professional lurker and I constantly see comments like:

I can't explain it, I don't know how to fix it, but it really irritates me. Only thing I can attribute it to is offensive leadership. Ben is a winner, but he isn't a front-runner.

Any thoughts?
There's a difference between low scoring and always being too close. Cowher's teams were built on defenses so smothering that a 10 point Steelers lead was insurmountable. Tomlin's teams, well we still don't know what they are built on, mostly press conference cliches as far as anyone can tell. The perception that the games were too close under Cowher was a combination of fan expectations and still working with too many Tom Donahoe players at QB. For all of my criticisms of BR, he and O'Donnell were the only two legitimate NFL QBs Cowher had to work with.

At least the way I see it.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiminpa For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (09-01-2014), Joelbushbaum (08-13-2014), NSMaster56 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,051 Times in 4,571 Posts

alot of steeler teams have known they are bad-ass. they get cocky, especially after winning SB's and tend to overlook weak assed opponents.

they think they get a win just by stepping off the bus. they think they can intimidate teams into losing. this was especially seen in 2006 when they bought their own hype.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,398 Times in 3,519 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

speaking of mental shift I'm so glad that young money bullshit talk about our WR's is dead and gone. the biggest pushers of that name (wallace and sanders) were both soft as hell
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (08-13-2014), Gnutella (08-12-2014), harrison'samonster (08-12-2014), IowaSteeler927 (08-13-2014), Men of Steel (08-12-2014), Pappy (08-12-2014), pczach (08-13-2014), StainlessStill (08-13-2014), SteelerJT (08-12-2014), steelfury02 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
alot of steeler teams have known they are bad-ass. they get cocky, especially after winning SB's and tend to overlook weak assed opponents.

they think they get a win just by stepping off the bus. they think they can intimidate teams into losing. this was especially seen in 2006 when they bought their own hype.
makes you appreciate the Steelers of the 70's even more. How Chuck Noll had his players on the right mindset.

How do you not grow complacent after winning one, two, three superbowls, and come out with 4 in a span of 6 yrs?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
speaking of mental shift I'm so glad that young money bullshit talk about our WR's is dead and gone. the biggest pushers of that name (wallace and sanders) were both soft as hell
^^ My sentiments exactly. I hated they're stupid money talk, just to screw up during games. Idiots. Glad they're gone.

Also, on the defensive side. Allot of young new talent.

Guys are hungry again.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,373 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicor View Post

Any thoughts?
first off, very thoughtful first post - welcome to Thunderdome

I think this team is finally headed in the right direction. I think there is some unfinished business with a few teams this year which will bode well. I also think it is a younger defense that has little to no playing time together - so I don't expect dominance - but I do think we'll see some fire this year from them and we'll see improvement as the season wears on. I just hope that as they are learning and coming together, they act as professionals that haven't proven a thing yet and are out to earn it.

Is a loss at Bmore acceptable in week 2 acceptable? hell no - but it may very well happen. Is a week 1 loss in the burgh against stains acceptable? hell no and a team on the rise won't let that happen. I expect them first and foremost to be in every single division game. They absolutely should be able to protect Heinz this year. They also don't have to travel far. But losing in Cincy and Bmore with a group of guys playing together for the first time is not out of the realm of possibilities.

They have no business losing games like
home v Browns, Bucs, Texans, Colts, Chiefs, Bengals (6 wins)
and no business losing games like @ Browns, Jaguars, Jets, Titans (10 wins)
Out of those 10 games, I have come to expect them to lose 1-2 of those (8 wins)
Out of the tougher games, I come to expect them to win half of them (@Bmore, @Cincy, @Panthers, Ravens, Saints, @Falcons, (2) - back to 10 wins. Maybe 11.

I see anywhere in the 9-7 to 11-5 range for this team - hopefully the latter. If Tomlin can get them back to taking care of divisional games and protecting Heinz, the rest takes care of itself.

I'm sticking with my prediction of 11-5, AFCN Champs, and #3 seed with wild card game at home against Bengals, Ravens, Chiefs or Colts.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (08-12-2014), harrison'samonster (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

I think it's a Tomlin trait. The common thread is that the team relaxes when they think they don't have to play as hard. Whether it's games against weak/inferior opponents, whether it's during games when we've built a nice lead, whether it's during the season after starting out the first several games on a hot streak, etc. Any time the team feels it can lay off the gas pedal, it does. So you never see blowouts. You see regular losses (or way too close Ws) against awful teams. You see low scoring outputs. Those things were not regular occurrences under our previous coaches. They are under Tomlin. I think Tomlin is far too relaxed and allows the team to stop and smell the roses too often then end up getting their shit kicked in unexpectedly
JewniorGong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Men of Steel View Post
How do you not grow complacent after winning one, two, three superbowls, and come out with 4 in a span of 6 yrs?
ANSWER: No salary cap to worry about staying in compliance with.

Today's NFL is a much different creature than the one in the 1970's. I don't think it is even possible in the salary-cap era to repeat 3 times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (09-01-2014), pczach (08-13-2014)