Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #21
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Smizik: Taylor's talent terrific, timing terrible

I don't want to see anyone else from the Steelers SB team go anywhere else, but reality bites sometimes. With today's salary cap going up higher each season and owners flashing their extra green, it is almost impossible to keep a solid unit together for any long period of time, unfortunately. I don't see the Steelers paying Ike an 8 figure bonus with all of these other key contracts coming up and I don't think they should, even after he has another season as a starter under his belt. We need to focus on our long-termers first and foremost.

Even though the paychecks may be bigger by "defecting" to another team, sometimes these guys learn the hard way that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #22
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I haven't looked at the Steelers salary numbers in a while, so please forgive and correct me if I'm wrong.

Hypothetically, if Hartings retires next season (very probable) and we let Porter walk, we still won't have enough cash to resign Ike and Parker while giving extensions to both Ben and Troy. I'm not even including Max Starks. Ben and Troy alone are going to cost us an arm and a leg.

How exactly are we going to be able to resign Ike even if we let Porter walk and the probable retirement of Hartings? Off the top of my head, I don't think this will be possible. Somebody is going to have to go and I feel it's safe to say that it won't be either Ben or Troy.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-10-2006 at 09:30 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #23
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

Depends what the new salary cap is .. Ben and Troy or Willie may do longer extensions and make the numbers low for a few years with a big signing bonus ect ect. It really depends on that cap number and what it will be. I know that we were under the cap by 10 million for next year i believe as of now due to restructured contracts, some of the old contracts that we carried for players not with us ect ect ...

But remember, the Steelers have offered a number to taylor so is not like they are not trying or were not trying to do something with him.. ( i know there will be people that wil lsay ... the Steelers didnt even try to sign him ect ect ) .... To be continued
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,030 Times in 4,566 Posts

look how long the steelers have waited to get a cb like ike. you go back to woodson and the big money they paid washington and scott. look at all the db's we have drafted high lately. infact if atlanta didnt pick d. hall or texans didnt take d. robinson, its likely the steelers wouldve passed on roetlhisberger for one of the 2. its pretty evident the steelers want that top notch cb and hes an integral part to their success.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #25
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

Yes of course everyone would love a top notch CB, but has Taylor proven he is worth that sort of money with his best year only making 1 INT ? I am not sold on him being a Pro Bowl corner at this point and yes i know , he had 25 passes defelcted .. that tells me two things ... 1 QB's and OC's are not afraid of him and 2.... he cant catch the ball well.

I hope he improves, but i read where in practice he missed an easy one that came to him again... I am sure the Steelers have and will offer him what they feel he is worth without breaking the bank on one player and keeping in mind who else they have coming up to sign in the near future as well.

When a player and his agent feel that they are one of the best at his postion, without making the Pro Bowl, and without the INT's ... is kinda hard to justify paying him top notch money on potential alone.

This is the NFl, the best of the best. Each player that comes into the league has potential.

Dont count out the fact of who he plays for and what system he is in either. Every player on our defense is an intregal part of its success because of the system.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #26
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

McFadden and Taylor.....thats a starting duo to be afraid of

i love ike, dont know why. maybe because he's so humble. the kids got talent and i think we'd be making a mistake not signing him. but if he is gonna cost us troy/parker/ben, then its obvious we let him go