Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts
Default Re: Rookie Dri Archer expects to play 'big role' for Steelers

http://www.observer-reporter.com/art...8PC_yU.twitter

Quote:
LATROBE – In the competitive, testosterone-driven world of the NFL, it’s unusual for players to admit that they aren’t the biggest, strongest or fastest.

But that’s not the case for the Steelers this year, when the question is posed about who is the fastest player on the team.

Rookie running back Dri Archer is the answer to that question no matter who you ask.

“Oh man. Oh my gosh. You have no idea. He’s legitimately the fastest person I’ve ever seen,” said fellow running back Le’Veon Bell. “I’ve seen a lot of fast people run. He flies.

“I feel like I’m a fast guy. When I see him run, it’s like, ‘Wow!’”

Archer stands just 5-8 and weighs 173 pounds. But he recorded the second-fastest 40-yard dash time in NFL combine history earlier this year, when he crossed in 4.26 seconds. Some teams, including the Steelers, had him going even faster than that.

Only running back Chris Johnson and wide receivers Rondel Melendez and Marquise Goodwin, who were each officially timed at 4.24 seconds, have recorded faster times since the combine began posting them in 1999.

Some questioned why the Steelers would use a third-round pick on a change-of-pace running back when Archer was selected earlier this year. But the team has been quickly increasing his role at their training camp at Saint Vincent College.

Archer has done a little bit of everything, lining up at running back, wide receiver and as a return man. He’s even been the primary running back when the Steelers have worked on their no-huddle and two-minute packages.

“(I have) a pretty big package (of plays),” Archer said. “I think I can come and contribute in a big way. We have a great backfield. I think we all can contribute.”

Having so many duties is nothing new for Archer, who was used in a similar fashion at Kent State. Each morning, he woke up not knowing whether he would go to meetings with the running backs or the receivers.

“Sometimes I go here, sometimes I go there,” Archer said. “Usually, they’ll tell me that day, in the morning or at walkthrough. It’s all the same thing.”

What hasn’t been ordinary is how Archer has performed.

He’s been lightning fast during the one-on-one receiving drills that have him coming out of the backfield matched up against a linebacker, usually starter Lawrence Timmons.

Archer has owned the drill, often times catching the ball, giving one stutter step or making one move, then burning down the field untouched.

“I keep telling him to always make sure he finishes down the field because guys are going to try to catch him,” Bell said. “I told him not to let them catch him. Run fast every time.”

So far, the only thing that has slowed him down was some hamstring soreness that kept him out of one practice last week.

Forget about adjusting to the speed of the NFL. Everyone else has been forced to adjust to his speed.

Though he’s been bottled up at times in live running drills, he’s also broken off some long runs.

The offseason additions of Archer’s speed and the power of 250-pound free agent acquisition LeGarrette Blount give the Steelers an interesting mix of styles to pair with Bell this season.

“You can tell Le’Veon’s got a year under his belt,” said offensive coordinator Todd Haley. “You can see him coaching LeGarrette, coaching the young guys, so he’s in a different place already, which is exciting to see. LeGarrette is a football dude, which I know is going to help us. And Dri Archer makes a play or two every day that gets you excited.”
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,473 Times in 2,751 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

is it september yet?

i have a feeling if he didn't play for a small school he would have been drafted higher.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
teegre (08-13-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
is it september yet?

i have a feeling if he didn't play for a small school he would have been drafted higher.
We've struck gold with Kent State twice before heh. Excited about this kid.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMU Steeler For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (08-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-06-2014), JeromeBetties63 (08-06-2014), steelfury02 (08-11-2014), Steelstoned1972 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

Run, Dri, Run!
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,018 Times in 4,670 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

On the Steelers: Rookie Archer offers very early highlight

August 11, 2014
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The sample is so minute in these first preseason NFL games that it is nearly impossible to determine the DNA of the first teams on either side.

But let's try.

They came to greater New York not to run the no-huddle offense and not to run the zone blocking scheme.

"We came out to establish the run and the big guys going up front and blocking on the edge," Steelers receiver Antonio Brown said.

They did that to an extent in the only series Ben Roethlisberger played. Le'Veon Bell ran the first two snaps for gains of 9 and 8 yards, one of them behind the only zone blocking scheme they used with tackle Marcus Gilbert throwing a nice cut block on the play.

Roethlisberger threw a short screen on the third play and Dri Archer turned it into a fascinating 46-yard pickup to the New York 14.

Two LeGarrette Blount runs for 7 yards and a fade pass that missed its mark to Lance Moore in the end zone may have been all too reminiscent of red-zone problems the Steelers had for much of 2013. But it was a decent start, especially for Bell, Archer and the offensive line, and those all are big deals for a team that has not blocked or run very well the past few seasons.

"I felt like I got into a rhythm early," said Bell, who stuck around for a second series and caught a screen pass for 6 yards on third-and-8. "I knew I wasn't going to play long, so I wanted to really try to get rolling early. Our offensive line was opening up holes and I was running through them. I had a screen catch I wasn't really happy with it I didn't get the first down."

Archer, a 5-foot-8, 173-pound do-it-all rookie, touched the ball four times on offense -- two catches for 50 yards, two runs for 9. He returned punts and kickoffs with little effect. That 46-yard catch and run, though, was enough and something the Steelers hope he can provide on occasion this year.

"I showed that I can play in the NFL," Archer proclaimed.

"I was on the field when he made that run," Bell said. "When we broke the huddle, I said, 'All right, Dri, I'll see you in the end zone.' "

Not quite, but a good start for the little man.

"I'm happy for him," Bell said. "I was most excited to watch the play to see how comfortable he was playing and how he adjusted to playing. He had a real good game."

Sticking with the plan

So why not more outside zone blocking? Because new line coach Mike Munchak prefers to go with what works and not necessarily force-feed a particular scheme. They have not committed totally to the zone blocking, like Denver did years ago. They remain an equal-opportunity blocking line.

"The gap blocking was going well," guard David DeCastro said. "The coaches are going to tell us what's best. If we're running the gap scheme well and it's working, if it's not broke, don't fix it. It's just another tool in our tool bag. We'll match whatever their defense is, what we game-plan for."

Bell said he is "pretty comfortable" with the outside zone blocking whenever they plan to use it.

"As time goes on and our offensive line gets better and better with it, obviously I'll get more comfortable with it the more I run it. It's definitely a good complement to our downhill running style and our downhill running schemes," Bell said.

"I'm definitely excited for our blocking schemes and how much better the offensive line and running backs can get better at it. The running game is going to get better as time goes on."

What happened was ...

Defensive end Cam Heyward was not happy about his play on the 73-yard touchdown run up the middle by New York's Rashad Jennings. Others could add their own failings on that run, such as inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons and free safety Mike Mitchell, whose speed was supposed to help eliminate those kinds of big gains this season.

"We beat ourselves," Heyward said. "I am fully responsible for one of the plays breaking up the middle; I went to the flat ... I didn't get it done, just put it that way. I put a lot of pressure on myself and I messed up the first time. I have to learn from this and it won't happen again."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz3A6SqqagU
Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #26
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
We've struck gold with Kent State twice before heh. Excited about this kid.
just so long as you don't get struck while at Kent State

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #27
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
just so long as you don't get struck while at Kent State
wrong bro
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #28
lasteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25292

I like his game, but rarely do they last at thier SIZE once they start getting hit and gunshy. Countless examples, see Trindon Holiday. I wouldn't use him on special teams, but as WR, RB slot guy instead. He likely won't last.
lasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #29
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

I was really disappointed that we only saw one series from our first string. Goes to show Tomlin didn't care about coming away with a W. I think we should have seen more from them, one series is not enough unless they really think they've got it down that well which if they did we would have scored a TD on that drive. Archer is super fast! We have to be careful though he's such a little guy we have to play smart with him.