Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
The Steel City Captain
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25721
Default My Steelers Blog

Hello all. First off, I am a diehard Steelers fan and I am kind of new to this forum, though I have posted here a little bit over the past 6 months or so. I started writing a blog last November that I called "Opening the Steel Curtain," which consisted of me mainly writing about the Steelers as well as other sports topics. The blog is mainly for me to write about the Steelers, but I have also written a few non-Steeler posts during the uneventful months of the offseason. Below is a link to my last Steelers-related blog post, I wrote last month titled "Predicting the 2014 AFC North." Feel free to read it and leave a message if you'd like.

http://thesteelcitycaptain.blogspot....afc-north.html

Emmanuel Sanders' comments about Roethlisberger's leadership as well as the thread of Roethlisberger's greatness also got me thinking about a post I wrote last December about Big Ben after the Steelers beat the Packers. While it might be slightly outdated, it still accurately reflects how I feel and how much of Steeler Nation feels about how good Big Ben is and has been throughout his career. Here is the link to my blog post of Big Ben below, titled "The Greatness of Ben Roethlisberger."

http://thesteelcitycaptain.blogspot....lisberger.html

Feel free to read them and let me know what you think! Here We Go!!
The Steel City Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Steel City Captain For This Useful Post:
Cyphon (08-14-2014), harrison'samonster (08-14-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-14-2014), pczach (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Hi5Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16852
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: My Steelers Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Steel City Captain View Post
Hello all. First off, I am a diehard Steelers fan and I am kind of new to this forum, though I have posted here a little bit over the past 6 months or so. I started writing a blog last November that I called "Opening the Steel Curtain," which consisted of me mainly writing about the Steelers as well as other sports topics. The blog is mainly for me to write about the Steelers, but I have also written a few non-Steeler posts during the uneventful months of the offseason. Below is a link to my last Steelers-related blog post, I wrote last month titled "Predicting the 2014 AFC North." Feel free to read it and leave a message if you'd like.

http://thesteelcitycaptain.blogspot....afc-north.html

Emmanuel Sanders' comments about Roethlisberger's leadership as well as the thread of Roethlisberger's greatness also got me thinking about a post I wrote last December about Big Ben after the Steelers beat the Packers. While it might be slightly outdated, it still accurately reflects how I feel and how much of Steeler Nation feels about how good Big Ben is and has been throughout his career. Here is the link to my blog post of Big Ben below, titled "The Greatness of Ben Roethlisberger."

http://thesteelcitycaptain.blogspot....lisberger.html

Feel free to read them and let me know what you think! Here We Go!!
Well Im not sure about the name of your blog.....Our Steel Curtain opened more than enough times last year for long gains and again this preseason....

Ill grant its a bit better than calling it "Opening the Kimono' ........but thats as far as ill go....
Old 08-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,084 Posts

Should've named it "Opening the Butt-Cheeks"... those kinds of sites always do well

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,719 Times in 891 Posts

I think you have fallen into the trap a lot of media and fans have surrounding our team and that is that younger and faster equals better. What I see when I read that is lack of leadership and experience. That isn't to say it won't work out, but let's keep it real here. Most specifically you talked about our LB corps having the potential to be the best in the league. Key word is potential.

At this point we have a rookie (who history shows don't perform all that well on our D), Jarvis Jones who showed very little last year and Jason Worilds who had a great half season and nothing more in his career. The only truly known commodity is Timmons. That being said, I believe Jones improves and Worilds is the real deal, but I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Let's wait and see a little more first. For example, our first preseason game gave us another 70+ yard TD run.

I think you captured the offensive picture pretty well though I don't understand your focus on Bryant as a key draft pick and the person there to help replace our departures. Right now Archer and Brown are more significant as draft picks and receiver replacements respectively. I think you also could have talked about the line which I think is the biggest key to our success this year.

Lastly I will just say that I think our record is a bit optimistic as well. It is certainly a soft schedule but when we have been playing down to competition for the past few years that isn't exactly a heartening notion.

Yes I disagree with a lot but it was an enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more from you.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
The Steel City Captain (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
The Steel City Captain
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
I think you have fallen into the trap a lot of media and fans have surrounding our team and that is that younger and faster equals better. What I see when I read that is lack of leadership and experience. That isn't to say it won't work out, but let's keep it real here. Most specifically you talked about our LB corps having the potential to be the best in the league. Key word is potential.

At this point we have a rookie (who history shows don't perform all that well on our D), Jarvis Jones who showed very little last year and Jason Worilds who had a great half season and nothing more in his career. The only truly known commodity is Timmons. That being said, I believe Jones improves and Worilds is the real deal, but I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Let's wait and see a little more first. For example, our first preseason game gave us another 70+ yard TD run.

I think you captured the offensive picture pretty well though I don't understand your focus on Bryant as a key draft pick and the person there to help replace our departures. Right now Archer and Brown are more significant as draft picks and receiver replacements respectively. I think you also could have talked about the line which I think is the biggest key to our success this year.

Lastly I will just say that I think our record is a bit optimistic as well. It is certainly a soft schedule but when we have been playing down to competition for the past few years that isn't exactly a heartening notion.

Yes I disagree with a lot but it was an enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more from you.
In terms of looking at the linebacking corps, or any corps for that matter, there is always going to be two ways of looking at it. Yes, the younger players on our team show a lack of experience, leadership, and proven commodities. However, I look at what has worked for other teams around the league currently, as well as Steelers teams of the past. The fact that Pittsburgh has been so poor taking the ball away from opposing offenses and getting to the quarterback leads to me believe that they are slow and have been slow. I think getting younger, faster, talented guys will eventually turn this defense into what it used to be 7-8 years ago. I agree that Jones, Worilds, and Shazier are ultimately unproven. But I also remember a time when you could say the same exact thing about Lawrence Timmons and James Harrison. I think bringing Joey Porter in as a defensive assistant was a GREAT move by Pittsburgh. I think he could be the best thing that could have ever happened to Jones, Worilds, and Shazier. They still have to prove it obviously, but I'm optimistic about them this year. Particularly Jarvis Jones. I think he outproduces Worilds on the outside this year.

I was high on Bryant and low on Archer because those were my initial thoughts after the draft. I like to write down what I think of each draft pick and predict how each will fair out to see how smart are dumb I am when the season plays out. I thought the Steelers could have gone a different direction than Archer in the 3rd. I thought we had just spent a third round pick on a punt returner and a rb/wr hybrid who would be used maybe 5 times a game purely for predictable screen plays. I didn't like it, Bell is just as good in the screen game as he is in the running game. I wanted a tight end or a player in the secondary as our third pick. Bryant, on the other hand, I loved. Big wide receiver, talented, chip on his shoulder playing in Watkins' shadow at Clemson. Beautiful. Although its only one preseason game, Archer already looks like a player who could be very useful for our offense and Bryant had his struggles. I usually give receivers about a 2-3 year window before I make my judgement, so we'll see how Bryant plays out. As for the offensive line, I noted that hiring Mike Munchak was potentially the best move that Pittsburgh made in the offseason. I really think he can stabilize the line and I am really excited to see how DeCastro plays this year.

As for my prediction that Pittsburgh finishes 11-5, that's purely based on gut feeling. Its really a crap shoot if you're truly trying to predict a teams record. You can look at stats, strength of schedule, momentum all you want but its nearly impossible to know how the year is going to play out. Stats mean almost nothing, strength of schedule before the year and after the year is usually completely different, and momentum is virtually nonexistent between seasons. I'm predicting 11-5 assuming everyone stays mostly healthy and they beat the teams they are supposed to. Like you said, we always somehow end up losing to a team like the Vikings or Raiders. Pittsburgh has never surprised me. Ever. I can see us beating every team we play; I can also see us losing to every team we play. This is a playoff team that is better than the 8-8 showing they gave us last year. They just have to prove it.
The Steel City Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,667 Times in 2,544 Posts
My Mood: Amused

At least you're not pretending to be a talking dog who makes shitty football game picks, so kudos to you on that.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (08-15-2014), pczach (08-15-2014), SteelerJT (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 AM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,140 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
At least you're not pretending to be a talking dog who makes shitty football game picks, so kudos to you on that.

Tico really does talk...just in his own language.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (08-16-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,812 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post

I love Tico!
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (08-16-2014)