Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 AM   #211
SteelPride1207
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16128
Default Re: Analyzing Steelers decision to pass on cornerback until Day 3

Steelers weakest position heading in this last draft was at CB.

Darqueze Dennard, Thorpe Award winner, was STILL available when the Steelers pick.

Steelers select..... Ryan Shazier.... brilliant!

Now we can watch Shazier, Spence and Williams vying for the lone ILB spot next to Timmons.

I would dare say that Spence and Willams are more capable of bringing success to the ILB than the current garbage we have in the secondary (excluding Troy of course) raising their performance this year.

The FO outsmarted themselves (again) as they did last year with Jones, because they fell in love with #'s when it came to their first round pick.

As a poster said... the Shazier vs Dennard pick will play itself out on the field... but given the quality of our secondary and the quality of our ILB depth... I still think it was a dumb move to skip over a potentially great CB.
SteelPride1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteelPride1207 For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (08-15-2014), El-Gonzo Jackson (08-15-2014), FrancoLambert (08-15-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #212
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,425 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPride1207 View Post
Steelers weakest position heading in this last draft was at CB.

Darqueze Dennard, Thorpe Award winner, was STILL available when the Steelers pick.

Steelers select..... Ryan Shazier.... brilliant!

Now we can watch Shazier, Spence and Williams vying for the lone ILB spot next to Timmons.

I would dare say that Spence and Willams are more capable of bringing success to the ILB than the current garbage we have in the secondary (excluding Troy of course) raising their performance this year.

The FO outsmarted themselves (again) as they did last year with Jones, because they fell in love with #'s when it came to their first round pick.

As a poster said... the Shazier vs Dennard pick will play itself out on the field... but given the quality of our secondary and the quality of our ILB depth... I still think it was a dumb move to skip over a potentially great CB.
I was a huge fan of Dennard coming out of the draft but come on lets be serious the guy wouldn't be starting for us this year(meaning he doesn't help us at all).

Going into the drafted the Steelers could not risk on passing on a ILB with Spence being a unknown, Williams who's just a 2 down LB & Timmons who's getting older.

Just because Spence is showing to be healthy, dont make Shazier a bad pick. It was smart. And TBH I dont mind a stacked LB group
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-15-2014), teegre (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #213
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,469 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
I was a huge fan of Dennard coming out of the draft but come on lets be serious the guy wouldn't be starting for us this year(meaning he doesn't help us at all).

Going into the drafted the Steelers could not risk on passing on a ILB with Spence being a unknown, Williams who's just a 2 down LB & Timmons who's getting older.

Just because Spence is showing to be healthy, dont make Shazier a bad pick. It was smart. And TBH I dont mind a stacked LB group
Exactly.

And, for anyone reading his post, he WANTED Darqueze Dennard more than anyone else on this forum.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (08-15-2014), SteelerJT (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #214
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:

But who's to say he wouldn't have started this year. If he can cover AND catch, he already has a leg up on the CB's on this team. We got 2 rookies starting this year on defense already, why not Denard? Don't get me wrong, I understand the Ryan pick, but our CB situation is far worst than our LB.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #215
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
But who's to say he wouldn't have started this year. If he can cover AND catch, he already has a leg up on the CB's on this team. We got 2 rookies starting this year on defense already, why not Denard? Don't get me wrong, I understand the Ryan pick, but our CB situation is far worst than our LB.
You really think he had a chance of starting over Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen? And with the way Williams Gay played IDK if he would have started over him at the nickle.

Another reason why Dennard wouldn't start is because of the scheme. DL is not going to change up his scheme to let him(a rookie) do what he does best, which is man to man/press coverage(a zone scheme isn't his strength)

If the front 7 does it's job the secondary will be fine, will it be great? unlikely. But how long has it been since we have had a pro bowl corner? Ike Taylor has been a very good sometimes great for us but he wasn't a pro bowler. We've won super bowls with a great front 7 and if you haven't noticed the front 7 hasn't been a "elite" for a few years.

And I'm not trying to compare defenses but the 49ers dont have a great secondary but their front 7 is GREAT and that defense has basically carried them to a super bowl and almost 2 other times as well
The Following User Says Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #216
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:

I think if Dennard was picked, he would be vying for the #3 or better position at CB. Considering Ike Taylor is likely in his final season, Cortez Allen hasn't been extended and Will Gay is really a #3 CB in this league.....I personally would rather have added to CB depth than have a glut of guys at ILB.

Shazier might turn out to be a special player in this defense, Dick LeBeau is a buckeye and has lots of ties to that program and inside information, which I don't have. I trust the Steelers took who they thought would be the bigger impact player.

All us fans get in line with the guy because he was picked #1, but we will all be bitching about the secondary if it sucks this year and next. Kind of like when the Steelers went BPA with Mendenhall in 2008, when OT Duane Brown or CB Brandon Flowers was on the board.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #217
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,081 Posts

One of our biggest issues last year was giving up big run plays. Now you got a guy like Shazier who's fast enough to make a lot of tackles in the backfield and bust up plays before they even happen. Also with the influx with super athletic tight ends in the league, Shazier's athleticism can help counter that really well. Remember the Steelers D is built on linebackers play. With two really athletic ILBs, Lebeau can also bring out exotic blitz schemes.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #218
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think if Dennard was picked, he would be vying for the #3 or better position at CB. Considering Ike Taylor is likely in his final season, Cortez Allen hasn't been extended and Will Gay is really a #3 CB in this league.....I personally would rather have added to CB depth than have a glut of guys at ILB.

Shazier might turn out to be a special player in this defense, Dick LeBeau is a buckeye and has lots of ties to that program and inside information, which I don't have. I trust the Steelers took who they thought would be the bigger impact player.

All us fans get in line with the guy because he was picked #1, but we will all be bitching about the secondary if it sucks this year and next. Kind of like when the Steelers went BPA with Mendenhall in 2008, when OT Duane Brown or CB Brandon Flowers was on the board.
I understand but the Steelers couldn't go in the draft being 100% sure Spence would be fine. Cause if he wasn't fans would still be bitching and we would still have a bad LB group, Troy will be back at ILB and the corners would still be getting burnt. Fans will bitch no matter what happens.

Cortez will get signed sometime if not before the season(haven't heard anything) it'll happen before free agency after this season. If he steps up we're fine tbh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-15-2014), teegre (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #219
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
One of our biggest issues last year was giving up big run plays. Now you got a guy like Shazier who's fast enough to make a lot of tackles in the backfield and bust up plays before they even happen. Also with the influx with super athletic tight ends in the league, Shazier's athleticism can help counter that really well. Remember the Steelers D is built on linebackers play. With two really athletic ILBs, Lebeau can also bring out exotic blitz schemes.
A lot of fans will get excited about the possibility of Timmons, Shaizer and Spence on the field together at the same time. LeBeau has probably had a lot of sleepless nights just thinking of new blitz schemes
The Following User Says Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #220
SteelPride1207
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16128

For me the bottom line is... we have better depth talent and starting talent at ILB than we do at CB... which should have made CB the #1 priority in the draft.

Shazier may turn into a solid or better starter... but that doesn't take away from the increased value we may have gained if Dennard turned into a solid or better starter considering the weakness of our secondary.

Btw... I'm not in favor of the whole "Ohio connection" argument... because the impact of that connection could work either way.
SteelPride1207 is offline   Reply With Quote