Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935
Default Shamarko Thomas

I can't seem to find any new information on how this kid is doing in camp. Has anyone heard any recent news? Is he ready to start? Thanks!
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: Shamarko Thomas

Who would he start for? Polamalu and Mitchell are the starting safeties. He'll get work in the sub packages no doubt.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Joelbushbaum
Starter

Member Number: 25082
My Mood: Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
I can't seem to find any new information on how this kid is doing in camp. Has anyone heard any recent news? Is he ready to start? Thanks!
Thomas can hit but has not made any plays in coverage in camp.

In college he made few plays on the ball (passes defended or interceptions). I think his short stature and perhaps lack of ball skills make him somewhat of a liability vs the pass.

I expect him to be a good special teams player and in the box run defender.
Joelbushbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelbushbaum View Post
Thomas can hit but has not made any plays in coverage in camp.

In college he made few plays on the ball (passes defended or interceptions). I think his short stature and perhaps lack of ball skills make him somewhat of a liability vs the pass.

I expect him to be a good special teams player and in the box run defender.
Honestly Troy isn't that tall, and quite frankly Larry Fitzgerald torched him in the SB, now I love Troy and what he has done for the Steelers, but if the Steelers would have thrown the towel in on Troy going into his second year where would the defense be now? I say let the Shark prove himself before relegating him to ST's and a "box run" defender!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Steel Knight
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Honestly Troy isn't that tall, and quite frankly Larry Fitzgerald torched him in the SB, now I love Troy and what he has done for the Steelers, but if the Steelers would have thrown the towel in on Troy going into his second year where would the defense be now? I say let the Shark prove himself before relegating him to ST's and a "box run" defender!
Shark isn't even the same galaxy as Troy. Troy played great his 2nd year and made the pro-bowl. I don't see anyone calling for Shark to be cut or to throw in the towel on him. Shark is a hitter but not a ball hawk. They knew this when they drafted him. The problem is that Shark is the exact opposite of what the defense needs right now. They need someone who can get the ball. Shark is a younger Ryan Clark.
Steel Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Knight View Post
Shark isn't even the same galaxy as Troy. Troy played great his 2nd year and made the pro-bowl. I don't see anyone calling for Shark to be cut or to throw in the towel on him. Shark is a hitter but not a ball hawk. They knew this when they drafted him. The problem is that Shark is the exact opposite of what the defense needs right now. They need someone who can get the ball. Shark is a younger Ryan Clark.
Oh, I believe he is in the same universe and galaxy, wasn't he invited and didn't he workout with Troy this past off-season? Troy must see something in the kid, maybe a little or a lot of himself?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Steel Knight
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Oh, I believe he is in the same universe and galaxy, wasn't he invited and didn't he workout with Troy this past off-season? Troy must see something in the kid, maybe a little or a lot of himself?
Lots of players work out together. Troy is coming close to the end of his career and was wanting to mentor Shark. But that still doesn't put Shark (a guy that has never done anything in the NFL) in the same galaxy with an 8 time pro-bowler, 5 time all-pro, 1 AFC DPOY, and Pittsburgh ROY in Troy.
Steel Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel Knight For This Useful Post:
casteeler (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Knight View Post
Lots of players work out together. Troy is coming close to the end of his career and was wanting to mentor Shark. But that still doesn't put Shark (a guy that has never done anything in the NFL) in the same galaxy with an 8 time pro-bowler, 5 time all-pro, 1 AFC DPOY, and Pittsburgh ROY in Troy.
Oh yeah, Ben invited Landry Jones this summer when he worked out privately with the WR's, you know AB, Moye, Wheaton, and Brown. Not "lots" of players work out together and no Shark isn't where Troy is, Troy was drafted #1 out of USC in 2003, he has had 12 years to reach the accolades that he has earned. But don't forget one thing, Troy came to an organization that had veteran defensive talent in front of him, he also wasn't as highly regarded going in to his second year just as Shark isn't, as a matter of fact a lot of Steelers faithful though Cowher shit the bed, because Troy was a hitter at USC and wasn't a ball-hawk just like Shark, but we all see how that turned out!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
67 calsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21936

He may not be a ball hawk but the guy can hit. While he may not get any interceptions those hit can lead to fumble and incompletions which can lead to stopping the other teams drive.
67 calsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,822 Times in 2,612 Posts

Just because Troy was a ball hawk, doesn't mean that's typical for the SS position. That's supposed to be the hitter. The FS is supposed to be the playmaker, and Mitchell is a playmaker. The two will pair well together.
Goldsteel86 (08-15-2014), harrison'samonster (08-15-2014)