Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Who is Shane Boyd?

I'm clueless. Lukin's report raises my eyebrow. A somewhat average (or even a little less than average) field general is a little more enticing than a gunslinger who may be in over his head.

Like I said I'm clueless when it comes to Jacobs and Boyd...among other things.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Who is Shane Boyd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
I'm clueless. Lukin's report raises my eyebrow. A somewhat average (or even a little less than average) field general is a little more enticing than a gunslinger who may be in over his head.

Like I said I'm clueless when it comes to Jacobs and Boyd...among other things.
Shane Boyd
QB from Kentucky
Ht/6'1 Wt/ 235
40 Time: 4.58
Undrafted freeagent with the Titans...dropped and picked up by the Steelers on 17 Feb 2006..played in Cologne, in NFL Europe

BIO: Moved into the fulltime starting role as a senior and posted 52.5 percent/1,328/7/9 passing, also leading the team on the ground with 102/297/5. Saw extensive time behind center as a junior and saw action at wide receiver, running back and helped out on punt coverage units. First player in school history to record a touchdown rushing, receiving and passing in the same game.

excellent size/speed numbers. Athletic with a good arm and passes immediately get to the intended target. Displays adequate timing and gets outside to make the throw on the move. Sees the field carrying the ball, displays the speed to run around the corner as well as the strength to bounce off defenders for extra yardage. Adequate hands at receiver and uses his large frame to shield away opponents.

Not decisive in the pocket, stares down primary targets and forces the pass into coverage. Marginal accuracy.

A developmental prospect that needs a lot of work yet a player that may offer big rewards for a team patient with him.

Omar Jacobs
Ht/6'4 Wt/222
40 yard Dash: 4.72

BIO:Redshirting his first season, Jacobs only saw spot duty as he backed up Josh Harris his freshman season. After Harris graduated, Jacobs inherited the starting spot and turned in an incredible first season as starter. He led the nation in TD passes and set a new MAC record with 41. He was also second in the country in yards and third in passing efficiency. His TD to INT ratio was the best in NCAA D1 history.

There aren't a lot of NFL QBs who have a similar style to Jacobs, but the 49rs Alex Smith is a close call. Both are taller QBs with good mobility and both played in a spread offense in college. Like Smith, Jacobs is a heady QB who makes good decisions and few mistakes.
Jacobs has proven to be an efficient QB. He has a good feel for the game and has not made dumb mistakes. He has excellent size, he is tall and athletically built. Playing in a spread system, Jacobs has operated primarily out of a shotgun. He will have to adjust to being up under center in the pros. He shows good ability to make reads and find open receivers. He is an accurate passer over the middle of the field and his passes in the short-intermediate range have good velocity behind them. As a deep passer, he shows good touch on the ball, but his deep ball accuracy varies. His passes downfield tend to hang up a bit high. Mechanically, Jacobs has some kinks to iron out. His footwork is inconsistent. He sometimes throws off balance and doesn't set his feet. He throws well on the run, but he sometimes will throw needlessly off balance from the pocket. He holds the ball nice and high (chest level) on his drop back, but throws with a sidearm motion that will have to be changed in the NFL. The shotgun formations keep his passes from being batted down, but on quick drops at the NFL level, the ball must come out higher. Jacobs is a good athlete and while not outstandingly elusive, is quick and speedy enough to make plays outside of the pocket

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 08-11-2006 at 04:37 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

From what I gathered off of Sports Beat last night, neither QB looks very good in this camp. Gerry Dulac stated that Omar's accuracy and arm strength looks good but the basics and understanding of the offense he is struggling with. As I stated in another thread, last Saturday at Latrobe I thought Omar looked pretty solid.

Boyd doesn't impress me at all. The guy did not exactly play all that well in Europe. In my opinion, the only thing he has going for him over Jacobs is that he has played at the Euro level.

There is no doubt in my mind Jacobs will make this team. He still has four preseason games to prove himself. Many in the media are making a big deal over the fact that the he's struggling in camp........what did they expect exactly? Him to come in and give Ben a fight for the starting job? Once again, he's a rookie and he's trying out for the third spot on the QB squad. I feel he's capable.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
From what I gathered off of Sports Beat last night, neither QB looks very good in this camp. Gerry Dulac stated that Omar's accuracy and arm strength looks good but the basics and understanding of the offense he is struggling with. As I stated in another thread, last Saturday at Latrobe I thought Omar looked pretty solid.

Boyd doesn't impress me at all. The guy did not exactly play all that well in Europe. In my opinion, the only thing he has going for him over Jacobs is that he has played at the Euro level.

There is no doubt in my mind Jacobs will make this team. He still has four preseason games to prove himself. Many in the media are making a big deal over the fact that the he's struggling in camp........what did they expect exactly? Him to come in and give Ben a fight for the starting job? Once again, he's a rookie and he's trying out for the third spot on the QB squad. I feel he's capable.
I agree..Omar will be a fine backup..with time. He has size, armstrength and accuracy on Boyd...though I have heard that Boyd as been more accurate lately than he has in the past, so maybe his stint in Cologne helped him out
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Boyd is not going to make the squad, He is trying to show his stuff to other teams. Omar is a ROOKIE, big word and he still got plenty of time to make his presence known.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

glad you asked this question, Haiku. I haven't had the time to look up opinions comparing Jacobs and Boyd so now I have an idea of what to expect. thanks!
melroseplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Hopefully we'll have an injury free season from BR which would allow Jacobs to carry a clipboard this season so he can learn the offense. His best value could be in trade in a couple of seasons.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by melroseplace
glad you asked this question, Haiku. I haven't had the time to look up opinions comparing Jacobs and Boyd so now I have an idea of what to expect. thanks!
Yeah. One thing to read a scouting report but another to actually see. Youth vs. experience. The rookie stays.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote