Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #411
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,394 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: U.S. Patent Office cancels multiple Redskins trademarks

Washington Politically Correct Skins.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeckerWood For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-01-2014), JonM229 (08-20-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #412
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,684 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default Re: U.S. Patent Office cancels multiple Redskins trademarks

ESPN announced Saturday that it would give its on-air broadcasters, analysts, and personalities the option to avoid saying the name of Washington’s professional football team, a day after the Washington Post editorial board joined the list of publications that will no longer print the name and ESPN’s Keith Olbermann used his show to call on the network to institute such a policy.

“Our consistent company policy will continue: using official names and marks as presented by the teams, leagues and conferences we cover,” ESPN said in a statement. “We do, however, recognize the debate over the use of ‘Washington Redskins’ and have afforded individuals the opportunity to decide how they will use those words when reporting on the team.”

The timing of ESPN’s tweak to its policy is interesting. In a statement earlier this week, it had said only, “We use the marks and nicknames as utilized by the teams, leagues and conferences we cover.” But ESPN NFL analyst Tom Jackson said Friday that he may not say the name on air this season, following in the footsteps of CBS’ Phil Simms and Greg Gumbel and NBC’s Tony Dungy, all of whom plan to avoid using the name this season (Gumbel hasn’t said it in three years, he said).

And during the Friday night episode of his ESPN2 show, Olbermann used those examples and others to call on the network to ban the word’s use altogether or to at least give its announcers, analysts, and personalities the option to avoid it.

“Not to be totally self-referential and like it or not, ESPN is the conduit of sports in this country,” Olbermann said. “It is also loath to be the news. On the other hand, the number of words I and all of my colleagues cannot say on the air is justifiably long. And frankly, many of them are way less offensive than is the name of the Washington team.”

“It is my opinion, and like my friend Greg Gumbel said I’m just one person with one thought about it, but I think it is time for us here, officially, or just like Gumbel and Simms and Dungy, to stop using the name,” Olbermann concluded.

ESPN has had internal discussions about whether to keep using the name in the past, according to a 2013 column from the network’s ombudsman, Robert Lipsyte. And while it hadn’t changed its policy until Saturday, it has given columnists like Dan Graziano and personalities like Olbermann and Bill Simmons plenty of leeway to criticize it and say it should be changed.

The network’s decision means that all four major NFL broadcast partners (ESPN, CBS, Fox, and NBC) could have on-air broadcasters and analysts who avoid the name, after CBS and Fox gave their announcers the option to stop saying it and Dungy’s decision not to use it on NBC. ESPN radio and television personality Tony Kornheiser, who opined against the name as early as 1992 when he worked for the Washington Post, highlighted how influential ESPN and those networks could be on the name during an episode of Pardon The Interruption last year.

“I don’t think writers and bloggers and websites can make this happen,” Kornheiser said. “I do think television networks can make this happen. … To pick two: If ESPN and Fox said ‘We’re not going to use Redskins anymore’ and the NFL tacitly went along with that and didn’t say anything, that would put pressure on CBS and NBC. I think it has to come from the larger institutions.”

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014...ying-redskins/

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #413
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,684 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default FCC considers banning Washington name from broadcast TV

FCC considers banning Washington name from broadcast TV

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-broadcast-tv/

With the blackout rule now scuttled, the FCC can turn its attention to another NFL-related item of business: Preventing broadcast networks from using the name of the Washington NFL franchise.

On Tuesday, FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said that the league will be considering a petition filed earlier this month alleging that the term is indecent.

“We will be dealing with that issue on the merits, and we will be responding accordingly,” Wheeler said, via the National Journal.

George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf argued in the petition that the term constitutes a “racist, racially derogatory word.” A decision that the term is indecent would block over-the-air networks (CBS, FOX, CBS, and ABC) from using the term. The word could still be used in cable broadcasts.

But it wouldn’t matter. A ruling from the FCC that the term is indecent would force the NFL to change the name.

To be clear, acknowledgment that the issue will be addressed doesn’t mean that the FCC will decide to characterize the term as indecent. But it may, and that would be far more significant than today’s ruling that the little-used blackout rule no longer can be enforced by the NFL against the networks.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-01-2014), kornbread (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #414
kornbread
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24869
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: FCC considers banning Washington name from broadcast TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
FCC considers banning Washington name from broadcast TV

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-broadcast-tv/

With the blackout rule now scuttled, the FCC can turn its attention to another NFL-related item of business: Preventing broadcast networks from using the name of the Washington NFL franchise.

On Tuesday, FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said that the league will be considering a petition filed earlier this month alleging that the term is indecent.

“We will be dealing with that issue on the merits, and we will be responding accordingly,” Wheeler said, via the National Journal.

George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf argued in the petition that the term constitutes a “racist, racially derogatory word.” A decision that the term is indecent would block over-the-air networks (CBS, FOX, CBS, and ABC) from using the term. The word could still be used in cable broadcasts.

But it wouldn’t matter. A ruling from the FCC that the term is indecent would force the NFL to change the name.

To be clear, acknowledgment that the issue will be addressed doesn’t mean that the FCC will decide to characterize the term as indecent. But it may, and that would be far more significant than today’s ruling that the little-used blackout rule no longer can be enforced by the NFL against the networks.
You beat me to the punch on this one. How flipping absurd! We live in a day and time where we hear all the four letter words on TV that we were taught not to say to mild nudity and now the word "Redskins" is becoming Taboo? If this keeps up I will not be able to call the Ravens "Shit Birds" or Galax Steeler a "Forum Nazi". WIll the madness ever stop? I'm slap out of middle fingers today.
Born2Steel (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #415
Born2Steel
Starter

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
You beat me to the punch on this one. How flipping absurd! We live in a day and time where we hear all the four letter words on TV that we were taught not to say to mild nudity and now the word "Redskins" is becoming Taboo? If this keeps up I will not be able to call the Ravens "Shit Birds" or Galax Steeler a "Forum Nazi". WIll the madness ever stop? I'm slap out of middle fingers today.
If I read the article correctly, and that is always in doubt, looks to me that it just says the broadcasters can choose for themselves if they believe 'Redskins' to be offensive, and to use the word or not. The issue with your tv analogy is thatyou have the right to turn the channel, watch it, or turn the thing off. You make the choice. Personally, I don't have a problem with the analysts saying it or not. I do believe the word 'Redskins' is a racially targeted disparaging term. You will always be allowed to refer to the Ravens as "shitbirds". That is a God given right.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #416
kornbread
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
If I read the article correctly, and that is always in doubt, looks to me that it just says the broadcasters can choose for themselves if they believe 'Redskins' to be offensive, and to use the word or not. The issue with your tv analogy is thatyou have the right to turn the channel, watch it, or turn the thing off. You make the choice. Personally, I don't have a problem with the analysts saying it or not. I do believe the word 'Redskins' is a racially targeted disparaging term. You will always be allowed to refer to the Ravens as "shitbirds". That is a God given right.
Your analogy of my analogy does not constitute a new analogy. blah blah blah...
It was not ment to be an issue....just an analogy. Your the one who made it an issue. And yes...the FCC is still considering petition to ban the nickname according to other news sources.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-from-airwaves

Perhaps you don't need to watch any Redskins games if it offends you?
Born2Steel (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #417
Born2Steel
Starter

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sneaky

Quote:
Your analogy of my analogy does not constitute a new analogy. blah blah blah...
It was not ment to be an issue....just an analogy. Your the one who made it an issue. And yes...the FCC is still considering petition to ban the nickname according to other news sources.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-from-airwaves

Perhaps you don't need to watch any Redskins games if it offends you?
I do watch the games, because it's football. A game is a game. Doesn't make the name any more or less offensive. When you look at the team logo, and read the team nickname, what image does it inspire? I already know the answer. If those people find it offensive, it's offensive. Whatever you or I may think about it. To me it's not even a question.
I don't recall making any analogy of your analogy, merely explaining that your analogy doesn't hold up.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #418
kornbread
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
I do watch the games, because it's football. A game is a game. Doesn't make the name any more or less offensive. When you look at the team logo, and read the team nickname, what image does it inspire? I already know the answer. If those people find it offensive, it's offensive. Whatever you or I may think about it. To me it's not even a question.
I don't recall making any analogy of your analogy, merely explaining that your analogy doesn't hold up.
Born2Steel (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #419
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,519 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Are you calling me a Forum Nazi you asshole

I have to agree I don't see what is wrong with the team name, Redskins in no way should be offensive to someone. It is a team name and nothing more, I guess the Cowboys will be next to have to change there name because people can't handle reality.