Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #51
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: Did the Eagles game expose a flaw in our defense?

A good read. Some will disagree some will agree. Think this a is good article to talk about the defense.

Why The Steelers Defense Is Broken And How To Fix It
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08...nse-broken-fix Found via
Found via Team Stream by Bleacher Report.

I thought about this after the eagles...not so in depth that the article does (and I do disagree with certain points) but

I think the defense needs to play in the base 3-4 instead of playing in the nickel so much. The first thing we must do is stop the run and you do that by plying with 3 down lineman instead of 2. And along with playing the 3-4 defense we need to shrink that cushion our cbs give.....which I realize dick doesn't like to do....but we need to IMO

And I think keisel playing for Thomas will help.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
Cyphon (08-24-2014), harrison'samonster (08-24-2014), steelfury02 (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #52
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,386 Posts
My Mood: Fine

fantastic article
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #53
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

That is a good article. I agree most strongly with the part about starting McCullers. Can't be rocket science playing NT? The kid is big and strong and can be that anchor the defense so badly needs. I had high hopes for McClendon, but maybe he's just a depth guy, not starting material.

And I also agree with playing more press coverage and letting Polo and Mitchell play more traditional safety style. Prolly not gonna happen though.

And, ftr, I think it some serious bullshit, if Miller really did get banned from this thread for expressing his feelings about the Steelers, simply because someone doesn't like/agree with his sentiments. Thought that's what the board was for. Some of us may actually agree with some of things he expressed. Personally, I didn't see anywhere where he provoked, antagonized, baited or otherwise expounded any views that would call for a ban. Not playing forum lawyer, but that just my two cents.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockonsteel For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (08-24-2014), Bayz101 (08-24-2014), FrancoLambert (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #54
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,125 Times in 4,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockonsteel View Post
That is a good article. I agree most strongly with the part about starting McCullers. Can't be rocket science playing NT? The kid is big and strong and can be that anchor the defense so badly needs. I had high hopes for McClendon, but maybe he's just a depth guy, not starting material.

And I also agree with playing more press coverage and letting Polo and Mitchell play more traditional safety style. Prolly not gonna happen though.

And, ftr, I think it some serious bullshit, if Miller really did get banned from this thread for expressing his feelings about the Steelers, simply because someone doesn't like/agree with his sentiments. Thought that's what the board was for. Some of us may actually agree with some of things he expressed. Personally, I didn't see anywhere where he provoked, antagonized, baited or otherwise expounded any views that would call for a ban. Not playing forum lawyer, but that just my two cents.

Rockon
He was banned just from this thread, not from the board. Nobody really wants to hear another one of his flaming tiresome anti-tomlin rants. That's not what this thread is about.

keep in mind the majority of Steeler fans come to a Steelers bored because they love their team and want to engage in a good Steelers football discussion, not listen to haters constantly bash players, coaches, and every board member who supports and roots for them. If you support Mr. Millers stance feel free to do it via private message, be cause he will not be able to read it in this thread.

What is bullshit is his post, and him always whining when he is told as much.

As for McCullers, it is also not rocket science to play center and guard and doesn't take much to easilly push him out of the way at this point.

The coaches are experienced and smart enough to know at this point he is a liability not an upgrade.

That can change though. Its up to him.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #55
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,816 Times in 4,820 Posts

Playing NT isn't rocket science, but it isn't as easy as "pushing forward", either. That oversimplification is a little dangerous and takes away from some of the best NTs in the league, such as Dontari Poe.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #56
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Playing NT isn't rocket science, but it isn't as easy as "pushing forward", either. That oversimplification is a little dangerous and takes away from some of the best NTs in the league, such as Dontari Poe.
I agree, I just read it though as "if we're going to be an imperfect scheme, then let's find something that each guy can do well" and just go balls to the wall making disruption where it can be had

steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #57
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

McCullers is the answer, but he isn't the answer right now. We need him to be the answer, so he sits. If he plays now, he won't last long and Mclendon is no longer expendable.

As much as I like Big Dan, he just isn't ready. He's still on the second-team Defense, though. So he'll stick around and as the year go on, he'll get some spare playing time.

It's probably going to be a season before this Run D issue is truly fixed.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #58
lasteel
Starter

Member Number: 25292

It's easy to get exposed when you have no pass rush, poor Interior line play and a bad secondary. You can't play the Buffalo Bills and EJ Manual every week.
lasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #59
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Relax guys. It's just yet another season getting off to a slow unprepared start under Mike tomlin. Don't worry though, we'll bounce back in the second half of the year and just miss the playoffs and have that to grow on for next year. And if tomlin Is still the head coach in 2015, we all can expect the same again, but the tomlin homers will deny it until they are blue in the face and bring up the success he had years and years ago with a team full of pro Bowl veterans coached up and disciplined by a real head coach.
Sorry to disagree with many of you, but I will.

This post did not warrant a ban on this thread IMO.
Although MTS can go overboard at times with his criticisms of Tomlin, he expressed his well-known opinion about the head coach again and "zap," off he goes.
It wasn't full of profanities and didn't include a personal diatribe against another poster.

To say we weren't ready at the start of last season after an 0-4 preseason is stating something obvious IMO. Can't fault him for that opinion.

I hope we're not getting to the point where criticism of the players/coaches is grounds for "punishment."

I like hearing both sides of a story.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #60
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,290 Times in 633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteel View Post
It's easy to get exposed when you have no pass rush, poor Interior line play and a bad secondary. You can't play the Buffalo Bills and EJ Manual every week.
I couldnt stand Ike Taylors little Podcast Rant in the offseason where he made excuses for last years D based around the fact that if only they didnt have tp play "this" QB or that "Offense" that the Defense last year would have been Top 5 and "Elite"

Guess what Ike.....who dafuq do you think your going to be playing in the playoffs??? It certainly isnt going to be some sorry ass offense/QB like the Bills or Chad Henne and the Jags

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote