Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-14-2006, 05:55 AM   #251
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689
Default Re: Steelers vs Cardinals Game Day Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Well, now that it's morning and I can actually sit back and digest this game fully.......a few thoughts and opinions. Keep in mind, my expressed opinions do not mean that I feel the team is doomed and that I'm ready to take the Clemente bridge after one preseason game; just a few observations.....

I thought Jacobs had great touch on the ball. Seems to have some innate sense in the pass game. Not so for Boyd, who seems to have a lot of Kordell in him. Contrary to what i'd read, he does have a strong arm but no array of passes at all. Zips it, but that's it. Charged with 1 INT, threw another (H1: Shazor, when Reid had him beat) and spit the ball up once too. You cannot win with that.

I'm not on the Anthony Smith bandwagon, not yet. He does play with great anticipation, which is good. One example when he blew up a receiver on a little screen, or hitch (forgot which). Another, the 2nd INT but at the same time, reading John Navarre is like reading the big E on the eyechart. There may not be a worse QB in football. On the downside, Smith got dragged 5 yards on one run, looked awful on Shipp's play too: arriving completely out of control, got juked and didn't even strip the blockers. Good football sense, questionable speed and poor tackling. I have no doubt he will learn over time though.

Holmes belongs, Reid will compete. Colon was outclassed in the first half. Harris was outclassed in the second half; gave no effort v. the run and consistently was the last man off the snap. Marvin Phillips has great feet, can turn a guy and, mainly, does manage to keep in front of him but man he's small, as NFL OC go; constantly looked like he was about to slip off his block, but rarely did. Humes was smaller than i thought, slow feet too. Vickers hustles, but he's high cut, struggled to anchor v. the run, rarely did; i don't think he's a DE. Smolko made a veteram move getting his feet down on the TD. So so blocking tho; still, moves ahead of Davis and Dekker in my book. Davis blew chunks blocking, showed alertness recovering Boyd's fumble.

Nete Washington was not good. Aside from his failure to locate Batch's ball in the EZ, looked to me that he was intimidated, gave shitty effort blocking a couple times. Hopefully he looks better in the next three games.

On the plus side, no one got hurt and it's only preseason. Just my two cents.
Wow, that sounds almost exactly like Bob Pompeani, Edmund Nelson, and Coach Cowher's post-game analysis that I listened to/watched after the game. Used some of the exact same words, too. It's truly amazing.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #252
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Anthony Smith looked good, but lets give our vets the rest of the preseason to prove that they are the front runners. I am Not sayin' if Smith plays better all preseason still Dont start him. Who ever plays the best against the best then that is who should start.
I am very proud to see Holmes and Reid look good in their first actions as well.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #253
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerzGirl
Wow, that sounds almost exactly like Bob Pompeani, Edmund Nelson, and Coach Cowher's post-game analysis that I listened to/watched after the game. Used some of the exact same words, too. It's truly amazing.
Well, Cowher (and all NFL coaches) tend to state the obvious during post-game PC's. Normally enjoy the player interviews for the most part.

Bob Pompeani? Ugh.

If I was going with Pompeani's assessments I would have to say;

"Every part of this game was perfect for the Steelers. Hell! The Steelers have already won the Super Bowl for the 2007 season. I love Bill Cowher, like....man-love type of love."

*Goes on a Ben Roethlisberger love-rant for a solid hour*

"Did I tell you how much I love Bill Cowher?. Caller, your wrong, I'm right. Ben Roethlisberger is actually a Greek God in disguise as a Steeler QB. I'm Bob Pompeani damnit!! You will respect my KDKA AUTHORITAAA!!"

And that is why I mute the tv for away games and listen to the game (pre and post) on the radio minus Bob Pompeani. You should give it a try.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-14-2006 at 08:11 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #254
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

I think we was .500 in preseason last year and things turned out ok.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote