Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Difference between Ben and Carson Palmer

Ben's comments....

"That was my goal -- to get out there and show everybody I was ready to get out and play," Roethlisberger said.

Palmer's comments Sunday night at the Bungles game...

?It just takes me a while to get my confidence back in my knee it?s strong it?s healthy I?ve been cleared but until I have that confidence that it's going to be able to withstand some hits and be able to hold up when I?m out there running around I need to be able to get to that point. People falling in front of me guys trying to tackling me low so until I get in that situation I take a couple hits low to the legs then I?ll have that confidence that I can do it. ?

Carson Palmer and VERY

Ben and collected.
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: Difference between Ben and Carson Palmer

Well done...
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I have to disagree for two reasons.

Physically: The knee injury Palmer sustained was absolutey horrible. This wasn't a tweaked hammie. This kid's whole knee was blown out. That takes time and I don't care who you are, yes even Ben. Ben's injuries were to his face. For the most part, those can be protected. Your leg (unlike your face) is out in the open for everybody to hit while having minimal protection.

More importantly.......

Mentally: Ben's accident was exactly that, an accident. It did not occur while playing the game. There is a huge difference between the two in my opinion. Palmer's mind is currently playing tricks on him. Being able to feel comfortable in the pocket is key and at this point in time, he is not comfortable. You could tell in his face during the interview he gave on Sunday night that his confidence is nonexistent. If I were the Bungal organization I would give this kid all the time he needs to heal physically and mentally.

I don't feel the differences lie in their personalities, but in their current situations.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-15-2006 at 04:20 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I'll second you on that 83. I hate to see any athlete injured like Palmer. well... almost any athlete. Can't say I'd mind seeing T.O. get whalloped.

anyway... Palmer is a huge talent and unfortunately his psyche is fragile until he does regain confidence that his knee will hold up to the rigors of game play.

Give him an entire season to work on it. If he can stay healthy, then the confidence will come back.

Besides.... I hate beating the Bengals when thye've got such an easy excuse to fall back on. :oP
Old 08-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I think the truth behind the comparison is that Ben has a more gutsy and fearless attitude where Carson is more timid and cautious.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I have to disagree for two reasons.

Physically: The knee injury Palmer sustained was absolutey horrible. This wasn't a tweaked hammie. This kid's whole knee was blown out. That takes time and I don't care who you are, yes even Ben. Ben's injuries were to his face. For the most part, those can be protected. Your leg (unlike your face) is out in the open for everybody to hit while having minimal protection.

More importantly.......

Mentally: Ben's accident was exactly that, an accident. It did not occur while playing the game. There is a huge difference between the two in my opinion. Palmer's mind is currently playing tricks on him. Being able to feel comfortable in the pocket is key and at this point in time he is not comfortable. You could tell in his face during the interview he gave on Sunday night that his confidence is nonexistent. If I were the Bungal organization I would give this kid all the time he needs to heal physically and mentally.

Just my two cents.
I agree with you about the injuries, 83-Steelers-43. I hope he does get the time that he needs to heal, for sure. I don't usually like to lump people with generalities....but does everyone associated with the Bengals HAVE to sound so whiny????

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

No doubt Ben's more of a risk taker...but I'm somewhat glad to see Carson easing into things and being more cautious. There's no good in rushing back and putting at risk his entire career. Carson's injury requires more recovery time. Ben just had to "getted patched up" and go through a few weeks of rehab. Also, Carson's injury actually occurred on the field...the hesitancy Carson is showing to get back on the field is the same that Ben would have getting back on a motorcycle. It takes a while to regain that confidence.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I have to disagree.

Physically: The knee injury Palmer sustained was absolutey horrible. This wasn't a tweaked hammie. This kid's whole knee was blown out. That takes time and I don't care who you are. Ben's injuries were to his face. For the most part, those can be protected. Your leg is out in the open for everybody to hit with minimal padding.

More importantly.......

Mentally: Ben's accident was exactly that, an accident. It did not occur while playing the game. Palmer's mind is currently playing tricks on him. Being able to feel comfortable in the pocket is key and at this point in time he is not comfortable. You could tell in his face during the interview on Sunday night that his confidence is not there at this point in time.

Just my two cents.
I totally agree. Their comments have a different tone because their injuries are totally different. Ben, thank goodness, primarily had injuries to bone and skin. And the bone isn't in a weight bearing limb.

Palmer had a massive injury to avascular tissue. Because they lack a blood supply they healing process is much longer. And a decade or so earlier that injury would likely have ended his career. Chances are that his knee will never be 100% and will always be less stable.

I would imagine that before face masks, NFL players regularly sustained facial fractures. But it seems pretty rare that anyone sustains orthopedic facial trauma in the course of a game. Ben can be assured that his face is protected. Carson can wear a brace, but his knee will always be exposed.

And I think 83-Steelers-43 makes an extremely cogent point about the difference of having a serious off field injury (that was exacerbated by a controllable choice to not wear a helmet) versus being injured during the course of a game as a result of something that neither he or Kimo could prevent even though neither wanted it to happen.

Ben has healed. Carson is still in the middle of recovery and could be back at square one or worse if he pushes himself too quickly. So I see the difference in their comments as a normal consequence of those facts.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,652 Times in 4,009 Posts

theres something interresting with the 2 accidental hits and these 2 quarterbacks. while bens accident and injuries were pretty insignificant to him being able to play this year, his life was on the line and a few more feet or inches his life couldve ended.

in the case of carsons injury he was never close to death or in critical condition yet his career has been so much more affected to this point.

not to say ones better than the other just pointing out that a potential life threatenning injury can be healed so quickly but but a ripped up knee can take so long.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
theres something interresting with the 2 accidental hits and these 2 quarterbacks. while bens accident and injuries were pretty insignificant to him being able to play this year, his life was on the line and a few more feet or inches his life couldve ended.

in the case of carsons injury he was never close to death or in critical condition yet his career has been so much more affected to this point.

not to say ones better than the other just pointing out that a potential life threatenning injury can be healed so quickly but but a ripped up knee can take so long.
There is some irony in that. I suppose its important to point out that without our modern EMS system and its adavances in field managment of blood loss and shock, Ben would probably had his career as a viable human being ended if his accident occured a few decades back.

However, while I am cogitating on the subject....One other difference I see is that, if Ben was being haunted by his accident, focusing on football would only serve to distract him from the event. Carson's arduous recovery process focuses on ultimately putting him right back in the position that he was injured in.