Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default whiz and the offense

just picture this, cowher retires after repeated sb win. whiz gets head coach job and video game to learn. a defensive backround coach is what the steelers have underwent for the last 38 years, whiz... a offensive cooridinator. will our offense become a bigger part of the franchise?good question? have to throw this out there, dick lebeau is like 263 yrs old and i wonder when Mr. Dick "Zoneblitz" Lebeau will retire.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
The_Professor
Water Boy

Member Number: 2794
Default Re: whiz and the offense

My main concern if Cowher should retire would be his player-evaluation talent and its result on the strength of our drafts. Whiz could run the offense as well as coach, Russ Grimm is a great coach as well, and LeBeau is obviously wholly capable as D-coordinator. While I realize Colbert has a lot to do with the Steelers' success in drafting, Cowher seems to be an integral part of that decision-making team. LeBeau basically controls the defense now, so that would not be my main concern should Cowher leave.
The_Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,848 Times in 4,489 Posts

unless someone prematurely hires lebeau like the jets did mangina. darren perry is the perfect candidate to replace lebeau as d coord. i think he will prove to be head coach worthy in the next 5 years though. he has played in and coached under 2 of the undisputed best defensive coaches in the game today.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

lebeau wont be a coach for too much longer,in 5 yrs he will be like 75. i do think whiz can handle the head coaching job and the offense but i wonder if the offense will be a bigger part of the game.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

I have to agree with Perry possibly taking over the D.C role. I mean he has been learning from one of the best in the business. The only problem i have is that he is the one coaching the defensive backs and that is where our weak spot is... so not positive if has to do with him or the playes themselves. But is something to think about
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I think if the whiz becomes head coach the offense will open up big time...Until we get a big back like the Bus...which how many of them are there?????We are going to have to open up the offense anyway.....
Whiz would love it....and it would look it was all his doing when infact....The offense is ready now..
Old 08-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Frankly I think LeBeau will leave this world coaching football. Firstly why would he want to go anywhere else when you have perhaps the best safety in the NFL. It gives him the leverage to dream up the schemes we see.

If he ever had plans to retire then I'd think he be done. Grooming his successor is probably ongoing with Perry. Over the next few years he may give Darren a greater role until LeBeau eventually is renamed a "Consultant." But I'm thinking he'll die coaching one way or another.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

LeBeau leaving/retiring has always been my biggest fear. When he left the Steelers the first time the defense was never really the same until he came back. I had forgot about Perry being the DB coach, but Midnight makes a great point,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07
The only problem i have is that he is the one coaching the defensive backs and that is where our weak spot is... so not positive if has to do with him or the playes themselves.
IMHO I think the issue has been with the players themselves. The Steelers have had some great corners, but unfortunately they weren't all on the team at the same time plus an individual can only cover one side of the field at a time. If you look at the corners from most recently you can see Perry has taken these late draft picks and really turned them into great corners, with Ike probably moving into the elite catecory assuming he continues to improve on last year and catches a few more of those dropped balls.

Perry would be a great fit for DC assuming he has been taking everything in and learning from LeBeau.

As for the offense and the Whiz taking over as HC, I can't picture him taking away from the Steelers what has been their trademark for years, the running game! In 03 the Steelers tried to go pass and what did they finish 6-10 or something? When it comes down to it, you need to have a offensive time consuming game plan to keep your defense fresh and off the field. Championships are won from ball control and stopping defenses, and yes of course you need an offense that can get the ball in the endzone.

I'm not sure what the Steelers were last year for the pass/run ratio, but with Whiz as HC we could see the number of pass plays go up, but once the lead is established I think he'll take a page from Cowhers playbook and bring out the running game to consume the clock.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I said months ago Darren Perry would be the next Steelers DC. He would be a great choice. He has played and coached under the system. For Whiz as the next head coach. I would love it. I love Steelers football you know running the football and playing great defense. But I'm so interested in seeing an offensive mind as our head coach. I think it would be great.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote