Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Pat Kirwan's take on Ward

(July 30, 2005) -- Make no mistake about it, when it comes to a complete football player, Hines Ward fits the bill. He can catch the ball, he's a willing blocker, he's a leader, he's a worker and he's tough.

What a team like the Steelers should pay for his services is an interesting subject. Does the team react to the intangibles and the production and make him a one of the top-paid receivers of all time? Do they drill down into the production and arrive at the point where they believe he's worthy of the money the fifth-best receiver in the NFL deserves, or do they low ball him and put the ceiling at the 10th-highest-paid receiver?

link to rest of article (good read).....http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8690263
Old 07-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Pat Kirwan's take on Ward

Its a good article... I was listening to the Huddle on espn radio this afternoon, and clayton seems to feel it'll get done, but not till after alittle bit of a holdout. The problem is as previously mentioned, do the Steelers stand pat on their belief in how to work the cap and how to pay players like they've done in the past. Dont break the bank on anyone, and pay what you believe they are worth in our system and factor in the market value as well....or is it time that we move ahead and pay more to players based on soley the market value for that player.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Nice article. I agree I think it will get done, but when is the question that bugs me. I'm curious as to if Ward takes the offer or the Steelers offer another one. I think Ward will end up accepting their offer.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I hate to say it, but the Steelers could find another receiver with good hands to catch 80 to 100 balls a year and have a low average per catch, and a low TD output like Ward....However, they would not be able to find another player with the character and leadership abilities of Hines. Not to mention his blocking, and ability to go over the middle.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Thats the whole thing too that the Steelers have to consider.. He's the best blocking WR in the league bar none, but as far as the NFL goes, most don't put him in the top 5. Top 10 yes, but not Top 5. Personally I put him in the top 3 behind Moss and TO only because they have better break away speed; but thats the only reason.. Even so, You'd see me taking Ward over either one of those two egotistical, self centered blow hards. And the Steelers are most likely weighing that heavily into their thought process for negoiations.

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 07-30-2005 at 10:55 PM.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

The problem I am having with this whole thing is the fact the last year we passed about 35% of the time. We are a team that prides themselves in running the ball, and yes, this year we are supposed to open up the offense a little...but I don't see us straying from our running game like in 2003 when we passed 52% of the time...we all know what happened there (6-10)! They have offered Ward what seems to be quite fair to me considering the role recievers have had on our team. I agree he was extremely underpaid these past few years considering his production, but I believe the Steelers have taken into consideration all this when coming up with the deal they offered him. I would say though I would rather have Ward than Moss or TO, and I really hope to see him back in the black and gold soon, however, if not we will survive w/o him if we have to!

Last edited by bigbensgirl7; 07-31-2005 at 10:06 AM.
bigbensgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

BRC, I think that Marvin Harrison would have something to say about Ward being #3.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote