Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
wadester47
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2745
Default Hocus-Pocus.........

In all Honesty,
What are the chances we see the real Steelers tonight. I believe the chances are not very good. The Steelers are not going to show the rest of the NFL what we have. I really don't think 'Ken' and 'Dick'are going to show plays to win a preseason - nothing game. Knowing the Steelers and Being a Lifelong fan, I honestly see what the Franchise is doing.
I am also greatful to see that a coaching staff and a head coach that do not put the components of a Super Bowl calliber team in jeopardy with injuries.

Once again nothing up the sleeve, get our starters out, good luck to the Steeler hopefuls and hang on to your towel.
wadester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Hocus-Pocus.........

Well, it's already been pretty much known/hinted that Parker and Ben will not play. So it won't be the "real" Steelers at all. Here you go..............

Steelers' stars unlikely to play vs. Carolina
Most will be held out of preseason finale

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

After two years of playing his starters more extensively in the final preseason game, Bill Cowher will go the other direction when the Steelers play the Carolina Panthers tomorrow night at Heinz Field.

In other words, anyone who wants to see quarterback Ben Roethlisberger or running back Willie Parker play at home will have to wait until the Sept. 7 NFL regular-season opener against the Miami Dolphins.

Cowher did not come right out and say it, but he strongly hinted yesterday several of his starters will not play in the preseason finale against the Panthers because the Steelers have only one week to prepare for the opener. The others will play only on a limited basis.

That likely means Roethlisberger, who has taken 36 snaps in the preseason, and Parker, who has carried only seven times, will not play tomorrow night, despite already having limited workloads in the other exhibitions. Likely joining them on the bench will be wide receiver Cedrick Wilson, who has caught both touchdown passes in the preseason.

"The scheduling will play a factor," Cowher said. "I think in the past, when we played this [final preseason] game, we have had close to 10 days of rest. This will leave us with basically seven days, and that will play a major factor in some of the decisions we make."

Asked if that means less playing time for the starters, Cowher said, "It will play a big factor in the decisions that we make in regards to who is playing and how much, and if they play."

When asked if Roethlisberger will start, Cowher replied, rather cryptically, "The fact that we are playing seven days later will play a major part in some of the decision that we make in regards to this game."

Roethlisberger has played four series in three games, but he played two series and took 21 snaps in the loss in Philadelphia last week -- completing 9 of 15 passes for 51 yards and one interception.

But, after being under heavy pressure from the Eagles and with the start of the regular season looming just seven days away, Roethlisberger's only appearance on the Heinz Field surface tomorrow likely will be in pregame warmups. Charlie Batch, the No. 2 quarterback, is expected to start against Carolina.

Roethlisberger would not confirm if he will play against the Panthers -- "I have no idea, it's up to the coach," he said -- but he said he is "comfortable" the way he is playing and glad the regular season is around the corner.

"It's a long preseason," Roethlisberger said. "Thank goodness, it's winding down and we can start the real thing. The coach felt comfortable, I felt comfortable, not only in the short time I've been in games, but practice."

Roethlisberger has played the equivalent of one half in the preseason, likely not a whole lot less than he would have under normal circumstances if he had not sustained head and facial injuries in a June 12 motorcycle accident. Or, as it is, if the Steelers didn't have such a short turnaround from the preseason finale to the regular-season opener.

Because the accident caused him to miss some off-season training, Roethlisberger's conditioning has been a concern in training camp. But the third-year quarterback said "I feel good I'll be able to make it through a whole game" when the season begins.

"In the fourth quarter, I'll be OK," Roethlisberger added.

To point up the concern Cowher has for having his team healthy and ready for the start of the regular season, the Steelers devoted the entire practice Monday to work on the Dolphins. And, instead of the usual walk-through practice the team typically holds the day before a game, the Steelers will have something approximating a full practice today.

The Steelers (0-3) have never had a winless preseason since Cowher became coach in 1992. In fact, they have had only four losing preseasons (1-3 in 2003, 1999, 1995, 1994) during his tenure. Cowher does not care if the Steelers have their first winless preseason since 1987.

"I'm not worried about this team from a confidence standpoint if we go through the preseason 0-4," Cowher said. "If you're coming off a losing season, or a couple losing seasons, the culture you're trying to establish or change may play a factor. But I'm not really concerned with that with this football team, at this point.

"We're gearing ourselves up for that first game, recognizing we have a tough schedule ahead of us. We do have a veteran football team that understands what the long haul entails and understands what the purpose of a preseason, the purpose of a training camp, really is."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06242/717431-66.stm
Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Why should he start them? Of course, I think he should leave them in there until the first team O scores a TD and the first team D goes 3 and out. But that's just me and that's why I'm sitting at my desk now and not in a coaches office!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Why should he start them? Of course, I think he should leave them in there until the first team O scores a TD and the first team D goes 3 and out. But that's just me and that's why I'm sitting at my desk now and not in a coaches office!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i want to see ben throw a touchdown and then get out, he just needs to clean the last spot of rust on his arm(that last int was pretty weak)
Old 08-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

While I think it's smart to let Willie have the night off, I would like to see Ben out there for a drive or two even though it won't happen.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-31-2006 at 05:24 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default BEN TO SIT?

REPORTS SAY THAT BEN IS GOING TO SIT OUT THE PANTHERS GAME TO KEEP HIM FRESH FOR THE REGULAR SEASON.....I THINK HE WILL BE IN FOR AT LEAST A SERIES. I READ THIS ON MY FANTASY FOOTBALL PAGE ON NFL.COM