Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-01-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Bill Cowher Transcript

Bill Cowher Transcript
By SteelCitySports.com
Date: Aug 1, 2005

Steelers head coach Bill Cowher addressed the Hines Ward issue for the first time following Monday's run test. Here's what he had to say.

Bill Cowher: First of all, Hines Ward, I love him as a player. He?s a great kid and very much respected on this football team, not just by the players, but by the entire organization. It?s unfortunate that it has come to this. Hopefully, it will get taken care of sometime in the near future, but we?re going to move on with or without him. And like I said, hopefully this thing will rectify itself. In the meantime, we?re going to move on and proceed forward with the players that are here. I?m not going to answer any questions about it on a daily basis. But I wanted to make a statement about it.

Kevin (Colbert) said it was up to you whether you were going to fine him?
BC: All those things are dealt with on an in-house basis. That will be something that will be deal with in-house.

Coach, what?s your gut feeling on this?
BC: I have no way (of knowing). I?ve been in this business a long time and like I said, it?s unfortunate that it?s gotten to this point, but I?m very hopeful that he?ll be joining us as we prepare for a big year.

Does it make it more sticky given how highly regarded that he is?
BC: No. All we can do is deal with the circumstances as this football team has done. It happens, that?s why you have 53 guys. This is an unfortunate circumstance, but hopefully, the team is ready to move on and we will.

Who will you use in that spot?
BC: We will go with Cedrick (Wilson) at Z and (Antwaan Randle) El will be at X.

Have you had any discussions with him recently?
BC: No. I take all phone calls. I have an open door policy.

As long as he calls you?
BC: There?s been communication. That doesn?t change. There have been discussions between his representatives and our people. There has not been a lack of communication at all.

Anyone surprise you with their performance in the run test?
BC: You know, considering the heat and weather, I was really pleased with everybody. We held some guys out. Charlie (Batch) was held out with his knee. Jeff Hartings, we?ve held him out the past couple of years. The running backs, given their circumstances with Duce (Staley), Jerome (Bettis) and Verron (Haynes), we held them out as a medical decision. I thought everybody else who participated did a great job. You look at the two guys coming back, Casey (Hampton) and Kendall (Simmons), they were very, very impressive. This is as light as Casey?s been since his rookie year. Kendall, you saw how he finished that last one. That?s a very focused player right now. It?s good to see. Those are two big players that we didn?t have for most of the year last year and they are two intergral players on both sides of our line.

Rest of article: http://steelers.scout.com/2/417854.html
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote