Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495
Cool STEELERS FUTURE IN JEOPARDY?

Let me see if I understand. I woke up this morning still thinking that the Steelers could repeat and continue to build for the future. Only to see that a major part of that future, Kuhn and Jacobs, were packing their bags as we were still sound a sleep dreaming of another handful of Super Bowl rings. Forget the fact that Jacobs threw the ball 462 times for 4,002 yards with only 4 interceptions and a passer rating that would blow your mind in only his sophomore year of college, this guy is big, strong, quick, and smart...and now he may be headed to someone else's team. In my opinion he could have easily been drafted around the same time as the top QB's this year.

As for Kuhn, what are the Steelers thinking? Help me to understand....we have an aging RB with bad knees (who I think was worth keeping only as a coach and mentor for the young guys) in the #3 spot, an unproven rookie from New England in the #4 spot, and Kuhn getting waived. Unless you slept through the pre-season games, this guy had great upside. Forget the fumble. Slap a little more pine tar on his forearms and make him carry a Crisco ball. That stuff can be fixed. He has young knees, incredible power, and speed pretty unmatched for his size. You say have faith in our Front Office for the Steelers future...with two of our best draft pickups gone, it's hard to have faith looking down the road. Someone please pinch me and wake me up now...for I hope this was just a bad dream.

Peace!
Old 09-02-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: STEELERS FUTURE IN JEOPARDY?

Don't you think you are overreacting a bit, jaysta? Both the players you listed might or might not still have futures with the Steelers or other NFL teams. Still, even if the Steelers had kept both players, I don't see either of them being stars for the team. The Steelers are pretty set at first team RB and QB for the near future.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
dhosmer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2604

i'd have to say that the steelers are hoping that both clear waivers and can play on the practice squad for a year. they both may be part of our future, but i didn't see either as a major contributor this year anyway so why use the roster spots? hopefully they clear waivers.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Steelknife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2923

I love it. Take a valid point - 2 QBs is risky and Duce sucks - and belittle it by exaggeration.

Good idea!

Can you imagine if we cut Willie Parker when he was just a bench warming UDRFA tearing up the scrubs in order to give a guy a spot on the roster simply because he has a big name?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,063 Posts

theres a reason we didnt cut willie parker. maybe its just that o. jacobs and j. kuhn = tee martin and noah herron. does anyone miss those guys and think keeping them off the 53 man squad has hampered the steelers future?

the steelers draft and bring in players to help contribute to the team. not to groom them for other teams and hope for trade value. should we have just released c. batch cause of what a great prospect o. jacobs was? wasnt ryan leaf a great prospect?

ben is the qb and batch is the back-up. no 5th round draft pick is gonna change that. the team can either win championships or groom billy voleks and matt schaubs.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:39 AM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

So Tony... what your saying is.. is dont keep young players around and let them hone their skills? I guess the Titans should have never given McNair his time like they did or the Bungals shouldnt have given Palmer that one year to learn and hold the clip board right?
Kuhn or Jacobs should be picked up by someone because they are both worth the gamble in my opinion... and the way that Staley looked all preseason that Kuhn would have been a better fit right now.. and I'm afraid they will be sorry for not keeping a 3rd QB on the roster also that has experience in our offense.
God Bless Ya'll
Elvis
Old 09-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

As badly as i wanted to delete this entire thread...I didnt....
Old 09-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Please tell me this thread is complete sarcasm. Please? I'm not even going to bother getting into detail on why this thread is completely ludacris. It's just not worth it.

So the release of Jacobs and Kuhn is the end of our future?

If that's the case.......

Old 09-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Hey man; I was GREAT in high school! Man, I really knocked those nose tackles on their butts! We went to the WPIAL title game! We scored at will, we shut out half our opponents!

It was a real loss for Pitt that they didn't offer me a scholarship, and that I only lasted half a day at walkons! Man, I was GREAT in high school!

Tom
Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
So Tony... what your saying is.. is dont keep young players around and let them hone their skills? I guess the Titans should have never given McNair his time like they did or the Bungals shouldnt have given Palmer that one year to learn and hold the clip board right?
Kuhn or Jacobs should be picked up by someone because they are both worth the gamble in my opinion... and the way that Staley looked all preseason that Kuhn would have been a better fit right now.. and I'm afraid they will be sorry for not keeping a 3rd QB on the roster also that has experience in our offense.
God Bless Ya'll
Elvis
Wedo - I don't think that is what Tony is saying at all. I think history shows that your statement is not accurate. The Steelers can't base their judgments on "what ifs". They obviously had good reasons for not wanting to keep both Kuhn and Jacobs on the 53 man roster, reasons we aren't privy to. They watched these guys in camp and in the preseason contests and there are criteria they develop and look for in every player. Considering the great job they've done in keeping players they feel will give them the best shot at winning games (and championships) in the past, I'm going to sit down, shut up and have confidence in their decisions. They haven't let us down in the past too often.

I don't agree with keeping only 2 QBs (both of whom are also prone to injury) on the roster, but again, I am confident in Cowher and his coaches' decisions because I have faith in them knowing what is best for the team. Omar really doesn't have "experience" running our offense - he played in the preseason games using a generic offensive game plan. I believe one of the QBs cut will end up on the PS and will be available to step up behind Ben or Batch should one of them face injury this season.

Relax hon! We're in good hands with Cowher!

The Anti-Wahoo
Closed Thread