Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #21
Steelknife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2923
Default Re: STEELERS FUTURE IN JEOPARDY?

Yes, Bill Cowher definitely knows talent. Exactly why Morey is still on the roster.

Oh, and Duce Staley couldn't do anything against the same lesser talent that Kuhn tore up.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #22
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelknife View Post
Yes, Bill Cowher definitely knows talent. Exactly why Morey is still on the roster.

Oh, and Duce Staley couldn't do anything against the same lesser talent that Kuhn tore up.
please...someone..ANYONE...define "tore up"....
Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Wedo - I don't think that is what Tony is saying at all. I think history shows that your statement is not accurate. The Steelers can't base their judgments on "what ifs". They obviously had good reasons for not wanting to keep both Kuhn and Jacobs on the 53 man roster, reasons we aren't privy to. They watched these guys in camp and in the preseason contests and there are criteria they develop and look for in every player. Considering the great job they've done in keeping players they feel will give them the best shot at winning games (and championships) in the past, I'm going to sit down, shut up and have confidence in their decisions. They haven't let us down in the past too often.

I don't agree with keeping only 2 QBs (both of whom are also prone to injury) on the roster, but again, I am confident in Cowher and his coaches' decisions because I have faith in them knowing what is best for the team. Omar really doesn't have "experience" running our offense - he played in the preseason games using a generic offensive game plan. I believe one of the QBs cut will end up on the PS and will be available to step up behind Ben or Batch should one of them face injury this season.

Relax hon! We're in good hands with Cowher!
Exactly. Cowher and Co. kept who they feel are the best 53 players on the roster, and their opinions are the only ones that count. But you have fans who look for that panic button at what they think is the first sign of trouble, when the only thing that should matter during training camp and preseason other than talent evaluation is to get through it with no major injuries to your starters/stars. I have no problem with their decisions, especially the movement toward youth and speed at the WR position. Some fans are just going to have to accept that no matter how good certain guys looked in camp and preseason games, they simply aren't good enough to make the roster in the eyes of the people who matter - Cowher and his coaches.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #24
Steelknife
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post
please...someone..ANYONE...define "tore up"....

Did you watch any of the preseason games? Kuhn ran hard. He RARELY got stopped for no gain. He bowled people over. Pads were popping. He ran over people, out ran people, leaped over people. Kuhn was by far better than Duce.

Staley found a fat o-lineman to hide behind and jogged behind him until he got tackled by his shoe string.

Kuhn looked stronger, Kuhn looked faster, and Kuhn had more drive.

Whether that would translate to the regular season? Who knows. But Kuhn was the better RB this preseason - there is no arguing that. If both Duce and Kuhn were rookies coming in competing for a spot, Duce would not be here. He's here because of his name only.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #25
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:

OK, if they would have cut Morey and kept Morgan...how exactly does that help the Steelers? Morgan would have been a 5th or 6th WR making a 3rd or 4th WR's salary, and would have primarily played on ST - pretty much what Morey is, except he's making less money. Do you think Morgan should have played ahead of Holmes or Washington...or Reid for that matter? It makes no sense for the Steelers to keep a guy like that around at the expense of a younger guy with an upside. Besides, Morey would only see game action on offense if at least 2 of the other WRs get hurt, so I don't see why it would be such a problem.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #26
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Did you watch any of the preseason games? Kuhn ran hard. He RARELY got stopped for no gain. He bowled people over. Pads were popping. He ran over people, out ran people, leaped over people. Kuhn was by far better than Duce.

Staley found a fat o-lineman to hide behind and jogged behind him until he got tackled by his shoe string.

Kuhn looked stronger, Kuhn looked faster, and Kuhn had more drive.

Whether that would translate to the regular season? Who knows. But Kuhn was the better RB this preseason - there is no arguing that. If both Duce and Kuhn were rookies coming in competing for a spot, Duce would not be here. He's here because of his name only.
i believe the coaching staff saw it differently...based on seeing these guys every day..as compared to a handful of carries in pre season games....

I'll defer to cowher and his staff in that arguement...
Old 09-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #27
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Plus, didn't Kuhn lose a couple of fumbles during the preseason, including Thursday night? I'm sure that factored into their decision as well. When you are competing for a job, you absolutely cannot put the ball on the ground, especially in a situation like Thursday when they were driving for a score.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #28
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSteel View Post
I'll say it again, the coaching staff saw these guys a hell of a lot more than you did. If you think you could do a better job than them, why don't you quit your job and go to work for an NFL team.

We just won a Super Bowl for crying out loud! We won that Super Bowl with a bunch of guys who the FO found late in the draft. They know what they're talking about. Some people on this board are just armchair idiots who want something to bitch about.
*applause*

THANK YOU
Old 09-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #29
Steelknife
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Plus, didn't Kuhn lose a couple of fumbles during the preseason, including Thursday night?

He lost one on a perfect hit which may have been overturned if it was challenged. He was also injured on that play as well.

Like I said, Duce was outperformed by Kuhn in every facet of the game. The only reason Duce is here instead of Kuhn? Duce is a veteran. If they were both rooks, Duce is gone, Kuhn stays.

It had nothing to do with performance. Its the same reason we cut Morgan instead of Morey. Morey is one of Cowher's lovers, just as Kordell was for awhile. He finally got over his Lee Mays crush, as well.

Quote:
I'll say it again, the coaching staff saw these guys a hell of a lot more than you did. If you think you could do a better job than them, why don't you quit your job and go to work for an NFL team.

We just won a Super Bowl for crying out loud! We won that Super Bowl with a bunch of guys who the FO found late in the draft. They know what they're talking about. Some people on this board are just armchair idiots who want something to bitch about.

Did I ever say I knew more than them? Did I say I could do a better job?

How about this: If you can find me somewhere where I said I know more than the FO, I will leave these boards forever. If you can't, you leave. No go?

Don't put words in my mouth.

It is a FACT that in the preseason games, Kuhn outperformed Staley vs the same level of competition. That is a FACT. As for training camp and whatnot? Who knows. But I also believe Kuhn was injured on that hit Thursday night (he didn't play anymore snaps and he was slow getting up) and he got cut before any injury was revealed.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #30
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

And that is why nobody picked him up on waivers and he is now resting comfortably on our practice squad. End of story.