Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
FAB802
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2895
Default Re: Would Tommy be too drastic?

Anyone who thinks Mad Ducks should ever suit up for us again is either a closet Bungle troll or stupid. Odds are both. No need to panic just yet.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Well I'm certainly not a Bungle troll, and I'm definitely not stupid, and I think Maddox would have been a viable option. The games last season, which didn't end up hurting us in the grand scheme of things or his not showing up at the White House or ring ceremonies - as if he's the first player in sports history to skip out on those things - are dead horse issues. His knowledge of the offense would have been valuable and worth at least some consideration of bringing him back. But as has been said, the whole thing is now moot anyway - St. Pierre has been signed, which more than likely means Jacobs becomes the backup on Thursday.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Oh boo frickity hoo, Dan. He didn't show up at the White House ceremony - so what? He wasn't a member of the team any longer and none of us really know the real reasons why he didn't show, so why speculate on it?

While there is no comparison between Maddox and Ben - not even remotely close - Ben was the QB last season for 3 of our losses and again, Batch had his behind saved by Polamalu in the Green Bay game which we very well could have lost due to his poor play. I don't want to get into the Maddox thing all over again - he isn't a Steeler any longer and we all need to move on and thank our lucky stars that we have an outstanding young QB in Ben. I remember the positives in all former Steelers, not the negatives. No use in continuing to beat the dead horse, Dan.
You are the one who made the observation "I'm a little confused here, SCM. What exactly did Maddox do to us last year?" so do not get astonished when some of us attempt to walk you through what he did to so endear himself to Steelers Nation.

Let's review:

1. Ed.B. of the Post-Gazette has repeatedly reported how Maddox was always in a snit about Ben being drafted to replace him and (unlike Charlie B.) provided no mentoring or other significant assistance to Ben.

2. His performance almost single handedly loses the Jax game

3. After the Jax game Maddox throws other players under the bus for the loss, blames an injury he did not disclose to the coaches for his own screwups, and then acts all hurt that he gets booed.

3. His agent then makes up a story later that week about Maddox's kids getting hassled on the school bus and trash getting tossed on his yard that Maddox's wife has to retract but which Maddox never has the guts to admit was a lie

4. For Act II, he comes back and cannot throw against a Ravens defense stacked againt the run in the loss to Baltimore.

5. As for the post-season, I do not give a d**n whether Maddox went to the White House or rings ceremony and frankly was glad he did not show since it confirmed my opinion he is a self-centered jerk. My point is that why would the Steelers want to bring back a team cancer who so clearly wants nothing to do with Pittsburch except on his own narcissistic terms.

In closing, you are right - the Steelers won the Super Bowl last year. However, seeing as you and I at least did no harm, we contributed more to that vicory than Maddox did. Proposing that the Steelers bring back a hack who will not get into what passes for football shape for him until Ben has recovered is nuts.

Boo frickety hoo indeed
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Well I'm certainly not a Bungle troll, and I'm definitely not stupid, and I think Maddox would have been a viable option. The games last season, which didn't end up hurting us in the grand scheme of things or his not showing up at the White House or ring ceremonies - as if he's the first player in sports history to skip out on those things - are dead horse issues. His knowledge of the offense would have been valuable and worth at least some consideration of bringing him back. But as has been said, the whole thing is now moot anyway - St. Pierre has been signed, which more than likely means Jacobs becomes the backup on Thursday.

Well said X. It's one thing for someone not to approve of Tommy playing for us,.....but letting personal ill will toward the man (for whatever reason) cloud your judgement,... is uncalled for. Hey,...i have no Love for Kordell or Neil,....but i'll still ride with SteelerFam that does. Coaches and Player's come and go,....The franchise is Immortal.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
Doc
Water Boy

Member Number: 2399

I think no matter what happens, while Ben is out, we really, really dont need Charlie to get hurt.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #16
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruestBlackGoldFan View Post
Would getting Tommy back be too much, I think Omar is o.k but BSP is a big no no (Make me eat my words BSP) Tommy always beat out BSP and we know how bad he was.

Let's not get this twisted I never want to see Tommy in a Steeler uniform but we need a better back-up for the next im guessing 2 weeks. Remember the Browns game last year when ben was out and Charlie started but broke his hand? Yea, it can happen. We need a Prove...er...experienced back up.

Click Me http://www.orderpcs4free.com/?r=2865 Click Me

i'd rather sign that old dude the raiders signed and released lol
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #17
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,004 Times in 527 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think no matter what happens, while Ben is out, we really, really dont need Charlie to get hurt.

AMEN to that!! (Shh! Murphy is listening)

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #18
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
AMEN to that!! (Shh! Murphy is listening)

And he (Murphy) could give a F$ck what our best laid plans are. LOL

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #19
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You are the one who made the observation "I'm a little confused here, SCM. What exactly did Maddox do to us last year?" so do not get astonished when some of us attempt to walk you through what he did to so endear himself to Steelers Nation.

Let's review:

1. Ed.B. of the Post-Gazette has repeatedly reported how Maddox was always in a snit about Ben being drafted to replace him and (unlike Charlie B.) provided no mentoring or other significant assistance to Ben.

2. His performance almost single handedly loses the Jax game

3. After the Jax game Maddox throws other players under the bus for the loss, blames an injury he did not disclose to the coaches for his own screwups, and then acts all hurt that he gets booed.

3. His agent then makes up a story later that week about Maddox's kids getting hassled on the school bus and trash getting tossed on his yard that Maddox's wife has to retract but which Maddox never has the guts to admit was a lie

4. For Act II, he comes back and cannot throw against a Ravens defense stacked againt the run in the loss to Baltimore.

5. As for the post-season, I do not give a d**n whether Maddox went to the White House or rings ceremony and frankly was glad he did not show since it confirmed my opinion he is a self-centered jerk. My point is that why would the Steelers want to bring back a team cancer who so clearly wants nothing to do with Pittsburch except on his own narcissistic terms.

In closing, you are right - the Steelers won the Super Bowl last year. However, seeing as you and I at least did no harm, we contributed more to that vicory than Maddox did. Proposing that the Steelers bring back a hack who will not get into what passes for football shape for him until Ben has recovered is nuts.

Boo frickety hoo indeed
1. Yes, we've heard that he wasn't happy about Ben being drafted to replace him. However, Ben has gone out of his way on more than one occasion to compliment Maddox, said they were friends and that he had in fact helped him quite a bit. So where was this refusal to offer assistance or mentor Ben that you speak of? Because if that truly was the case, then Ben was lying.

2. Not one person disputes that.

3. I'm not even going to get into the issue with his post-game comments, because it's impossible to argue with people who see or read what they want to see and read. He said more than once in that post-game interview that he didn't get the job done, but everyone still believes he never accepted any blame for his play. So I'm not wasting any more of my time on that.

4. In a recent interview, Maddox admitted that the whole situation with that story was overblown, and that there were only a few pieces of trash thrown in his yard. I would call that an admission that the story was a lie.

5. That game showed me that he doesn't have it anymore, and that his confidence was totally shot. That happens after you have a spinal injury, an arm injury and have to deal with fans who get off on booing as soon as the first incompletion hits the ground. The latter is the biggest reason why Terry Bradshaw held a grudge against the fans for as long as he did.

6. MY point is that plenty of other athletes who had moved on to other teams or retired after being part of a championship team didn't show up for ring ceremonies or go to the White House, but no one ever said a word. But because it's Maddox in this instance, and he's a pariah in this town, he gets bashed for it and called "a self-centered jerk." Sorry, but I'm not going to, not when he wasn't the first, won't be the last and don't know the true reasons for him not doing so.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 09-04-2006 at 04:33 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i would take maddox, only for third spot. it is not like jacobs will do better, i like him but he needs to learn how to hold on to the ball.maybe if jacobs was the 2004 version of him.
he threw like 45tds and only 4or so int.