Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Y-townFinFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 2944
Default Dolphins scouting report

Thought Steelers Fans would provide a scouting report on your team, Here are some notes on the Fins!!! This preseason has shown some strengths and weaknesses about the Fins, and a big weakness is the O-line, especially run blocking. With Pitts strong defense look for the Fins to come out passing. Some interesting notes: In 3 games that the starting defense was on the field, they yeilded only two field goals, while confusing starting QBs frow Jax, Tampa and Carolina, three playoff contenders. Culpepper completed 22-30 (73.3%) of his passes with no interceptions or turnovers . No Fin QB threw a int this preseason. Statistacally, the Fins dominated in the last three games, with over 34 minutes time of possession (avg) for the entire preseason. Strengths: Passing game, run defense. Weaknesses: Run blocking, secondary. While the seconday is noted as a weakness, the starters have played very well when on the field, but with everyone being new, there will be mistakes made. Run blocking has been pathetic at best and I don't see it improving vs the Steelers. Interesting matchup would be between Malarky and LeBeau, who worked together for the steelers in the past. This game of chess should prove to be the key to the game.

The Vegas odds have dipped with the injury situation. The earliest line (Sheridan) was Pitt -6.5 back in April. While most Books have dropped the game as of this morning, a couple of books have the Steelers -3 to -2.5. While these aren't a predictor by any means, it is just one more way of seeing a defensive struggle with few points scored.

The biggest advantage will be the 13th Man. Steeler Fans will be SO LOUD it might produce some penalties and mistakes early for the Fins. If the Fins can score early and take the Fans out, they have a solid chance for success.

Hope this provides some input on your opponent this week, I haven't followed the Steelers during this preseason, so any input anyone could provide would be welcome.

Good Luck this season defending the Championship, and hope everyone gets healthy and back on the field.

Y-TownFinFan
Y-townFinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: Dolphins scouting report

i didnt worry about reading all of that nonsense. as long as willie can run and dante doesnt have a 400yd game then i think we will beat them. not destroy but beat.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I think its good of a Dolphin fan to come in here and give his honest appraisal of his teams strengths/ weaknesses.

I presume Ronnie Brown wont be getting much yardage at all then?

I ws expecting a breakout year from that guy.

Between a poor Miami O-Line and a dominant Pittsburgh run D it doesnt look too hopeful.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I think its good of a Dolphin fan to come in here and give his honest appraisal of his teams strengths/ weaknesses.

I presume Ronnie Brown wont be getting much yardage at all then?

I ws expecting a breakout year from that guy.

Between a poor Miami O-Line and a dominant Pittsburgh run D it doesnt look too hopeful.

NM

I think Brown will be ready to go,.....please believe we're not "sleeping" on him at all. We can handle Dante with pressure,.....we just have to stay away from giving up the big play. I've got a serious feeling they're going to go after Clark. (Assuming they've watched any film LOL)

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Relying on the pass against the Steelers isn't something that works particularly well anymore. Polamalu & the brutal linebackers make that a difficult endeavor. I'm with LITP, think the Steelers defense will keep the score waaay down so that a diminished offense (and/or defensive + special teams) will put up enough points for the W.

The home crowd will be electric that night. Hard place for Miami to come in & win, with or without Roethlisberger.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz View Post
Relying on the pass against the Steelers isn't something that works particularly well anymore. Polamalu & the brutal linebackers make that a difficult endeavor. I'm with LITP, think the Steelers defense will keep the score waaay down so that a diminished offense (and/or defensive + special teams) will put up enough points for the W.

The home crowd will be electric that night. Hard place for Miami to come in & win, with or without Roethlisberger.

I don't know WWII,.....Booker, Chamber's and Mc'michael are capable of causing some serious headaches if Culpepper has time to make the throws he wants. Getting to him up front is going to be the Key,...in my opinion.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail The Black and Gold"
Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Steelknife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2923

One reason Daunte has looked dominant is the lack of blitzing, scheming, and gameplanning by teams.

Thats not the case in Week 1. I think this will be particularly rough on Culpepper because he comes back after a season ending injury, gets playing time against vanilla defenses, and has his first real game against the most complex defense in the NFL.

Strengths, Weaknesses:

Our run defense is still an unknown. Can Keisel hold the point of attack like KVOH? Remains to be seen. Its typically a strength, though.

Our pass defense is a mixed bag. Ryan Clark absolutely sucks. He sucked with Washington, he sucked in the preseason. He's slow physically and hes slow to react.

Troy Polamalu is a great wild card player, but hes been very poor in pass coverage and is severely overrated in that respect. If I had one major concern going into this season, it is that Polamalu will be exposed in the passing game. He also has a penchant for missing tackles. He doesn't wrap and tries to shoulder tackle.

That being said, when hes playing hes playing. Hes all over the field. And while he may get beat in man coverage against the bigger TEs/WRs, you better throw a perfect pass or he'll make a play. Don't forget his blitzing.

Our corners are great. One of the deepest CB classes in the league and one of the deepest ever in Pittsburgh. Taylor was a top 5 CB last year in his first year starting and Townsend is a solid vet who won't give up many big plays. McFadden is going to be an even better player than Taylor, but is a nickle back for now. Colclough has been beat, but he's getting better and better and won't be nearly as easy as he has been previously.

Our running game will be dominant as usual. However, a good run defense stops a good run offense.

Our passing game with Ben is explosive. I'd put behind Indy, Cincy, New England, and Carolina. With Batch, our passing game is adequate. You're not going to beat us by simply forcing us to pass and make mistakes. However, its less of a concern with Batch at the helm.

Miami running game vs Steelers run D - Big advantage Steelers
Miami pass offense vs Steelers pass defense - Slight advantage Steelers
Miami run defense vs Steelers run offense - Slight advantage Steelers
Miami pass defense vs Benless Steelers pass offense - Advantage Miami

Some wild cards:

Taylor vs Chambers - Can he lock him down? He shut down Marvin Harrison in both games (outside of that first play from scrimmage in the regular season, Harrison was non existant), he shut down Chad Johnson 3 times (no touchdowns in 3 games vs the Steelers).

Polamalu vs Daunte - Daunte has never faced Troy P. He's also going to be a bit slower with his reads. Will Polamalu sack Daunte/apply pressure? Confuse him and force him into mistakes?

Steelers blitz vs Miami O-line - If the Steelers get pressure, you're going to lose. Look at our playoff run.

My prediction:

Charlie Batch 13/22 176 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Willie Parker 24 carries 102 yards 1 TD
Verron Haynes 9 carries 28 yards 1 TD

Daunte Culpepper 15/26 203 yards 2 TD 2 INT
Ronnie Brown 18 carries 44 yards

Final score: Steelers 24 Dolphins 17
Steelknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelknife View Post
One reason Daunte has looked dominant is the lack of blitzing, scheming, and gameplanning by teams.

Thats not the case in Week 1. I think this will be particularly rough on Culpepper because he comes back after a season ending injury, gets playing time against vanilla defenses, and has his first real game against the most complex defense in the NFL.

Strengths, Weaknesses:

Our run defense is still an unknown. Can Keisel hold the point of attack like KVOH? Remains to be seen. Its typically a strength, though.

Our pass defense is a mixed bag. Ryan Clark absolutely sucks. He sucked with Washington, he sucked in the preseason. He's slow physically and hes slow to react.

Troy Polamalu is a great wild card player, but hes been very poor in pass coverage and is severely overrated in that respect. If I had one major concern going into this season, it is that Polamalu will be exposed in the passing game. He also has a penchant for missing tackles. He doesn't wrap and tries to shoulder tackle.

That being said, when hes playing hes playing. Hes all over the field. And while he may get beat in man coverage against the bigger TEs/WRs, you better throw a perfect pass or he'll make a play. Don't forget his blitzing.

Our corners are great. One of the deepest CB classes in the league and one of the deepest ever in Pittsburgh. Taylor was a top 5 CB last year in his first year starting and Townsend is a solid vet who won't give up many big plays. McFadden is going to be an even better player than Taylor, but is a nickle back for now. Colclough has been beat, but he's getting better and better and won't be nearly as easy as he has been previously.

Our running game will be dominant as usual. However, a good run defense stops a good run offense.

Our passing game with Ben is explosive. I'd put behind Indy, Cincy, New England, and Carolina. With Batch, our passing game is adequate. You're not going to beat us by simply forcing us to pass and make mistakes. However, its less of a concern with Batch at the helm.

Miami running game vs Steelers run D - Big advantage Steelers
Miami pass offense vs Steelers pass defense - Slight advantage Steelers
Miami run defense vs Steelers run offense - Slight advantage Steelers
Miami pass defense vs Benless Steelers pass offense - Advantage Miami

Some wild cards:

Taylor vs Chambers - Can he lock him down? He shut down Marvin Harrison in both games (outside of that first play from scrimmage in the regular season, Harrison was non existant), he shut down Chad Johnson 3 times (no touchdowns in 3 games vs the Steelers).

Polamalu vs Daunte - Daunte has never faced Troy P. He's also going to be a bit slower with his reads. Will Polamalu sack Daunte/apply pressure? Confuse him and force him into mistakes?

Steelers blitz vs Miami O-line - If the Steelers get pressure, you're going to lose. Look at our playoff run.

My prediction:

Charlie Batch 13/22 176 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Willie Parker 24 carries 102 yards 1 TD
Verron Haynes 9 carries 28 yards 1 TD

Daunte Culpepper 15/26 203 yards 2 TD 2 INT
Ronnie Brown 18 carries 44 yards

Final score: Steelers 24 Dolphins 17

I'm with you Knife,......with the exception of two points. The First being Troy's ability in coverage. I think he's pretty solid if you take into consideration the number of things he expected to do in our system.
The Second point being,...."Our Great Corners". ****locker,...um,... i mean Colclough, is an absolute liabilty in coverage and could not start anywhere in the league. Dshea is a cagey vet,..but athleticly limited,....and like Ike will give up big plays downfield against top tier receivers.
Ike has potential,... but i want to see him play like he truely believes he's an elite Conerback. You'd be suprised how many in the league were suprised (not that we won the Superbowl),....but that we won with these cat's in the secondary.
Outside of Ike,...Bryant McFadden is the only Corner we have that wouldn't be considered a "project" or marginal player by almost every other team in the League.
Bottom line,.....if Coach Lebeau wasn't here,.....you'd think "Chard" Scott, "Da Lame" Washington and "Burnt" Alexander were still starting.

"Hail Caesar,.......Hail the Black and Gold"

Last edited by SteelCzar76; 09-04-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #9
Steelknife
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2923

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
I'm with you Knife,......with the exception of two points. The First being Troy's abilty in coverage. I think he's pretty solid if you take into consideration the number of things he expected to do in our system.
The Second point being,...."Our Great Corners". ****locker,...um,... i mean Colclough, is an absolute liabilty in coverage and could not start anywhere in the league. Dshea is a cagey vet,..but athleticly limited,....and like Ike will give up big plays downfield against top tier receivers.
Ike has potential,... but i want to see him play like he truely believes he's an elite Conerback. You'd be suprised how many in the league were suprised (not that we won the Superbowl),....but that we won with these cat's in the secondary.
Outside of Ike,...Bryant McFadden is the only Corner we have that wouldn't be considered a "project" or marginal player by almost every other team in the League.
Bottom line,.....if Coach Lebeau wasn't here,.....you'd think "Chard" Scott, "Da Lame" Washington and "Burnt" Alexander were still starting.

"Hail Caesar,.......Hail the Black and Gold"

What are you talking about?

In 3 games against the Steelers, Chad Johnson (shadowed by Ike Taylor) had 13 catches 207 yards and 0 TDs.

In 2 games, Marvin Harrison had 7 catches 180 yards and 1 TD. Outside of the first play from scrimmage that Ike gave up deep, he had 3 catches 48 yards in the first game and 3 catches 52 yards in the 2nd.

He was pretty much matched up man to man vs every teams best WR. He shut them down.

He also led the LEAGUE in pass defenses and had 10 dropped INTs. If he had better hands, he'd have had 13 INTs for all last season and the most passes defensed.

He's a great CB and he's only going to improve.

Townsend isn't athletically great, but hes solid, and he rarely gives up the big play.

Where you get McFadden not being a project when he can't beat out Deshea is beyond me.

Colclough is nothing special, but hes also not a starter. He's very adequate for a 4th CB.

Back up what you say. Outside of the 1st play from scrimmage against the best WR in the league on a play action pass thrown by the best play action QB in the league, when did he give up big plays?

McFadden, Ike, and Polamalu will be the best Steelers secondary since the Rod Woodson era.
Steelknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelknife View Post
What are you talking about?

In 3 games against the Steelers, Chad Johnson (shadowed by Ike Taylor) had 13 catches 207 yards and 0 TDs.

In 2 games, Marvin Harrison had 7 catches 180 yards and 1 TD. Outside of the first play from scrimmage that Ike gave up deep, he had 3 catches 48 yards in the first game and 3 catches 52 yards in the 2nd.

He was pretty much matched up man to man vs every teams best WR. He shut them down.

He also led the LEAGUE in pass defenses and had 10 dropped INTs. If he had better hands, he'd have had 13 INTs for all last season and the most passes defensed.

He's a great CB and he's only going to improve.

Townsend isn't athletically great, but hes solid, and he rarely gives up the big play.

Where you get McFadden not being a project when he can't beat out Deshea is beyond me.

Colclough is nothing special, but hes also not a starter. He's very adequate for a 4th CB.

Back up what you say. Outside of the 1st play from scrimmage against the best WR in the league on a play action pass thrown by the best play action QB in the league, when did he give up big plays?

McFadden, Ike, and Polamalu will be the best Steelers secondary since the Rod Woodson era.

(Christopher Walken voice) "Calm down SteelKnife,.....your going to drop your sherbert ice cream cone,...and tear the feet out of your pajama's". LOL
We ranked 16th in the league against the pass last year. (And that's with Coach lebeau protecting the corners with scheming). And while you may call this "Greatness",......i think a "celebration of mediocrity" is a more fitting term. Troy is the only elite defensive back that we have. Is Ike on the verge ? Perhaps,... but to annoint him the second coming of Rod Woodson would be a little premature,.....ya think ? I know you'll say "I didn't say that"
but,.... just in case that's what your implying.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"