Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Peter King: Anybody's Game

Anybody's game
With champs facing adversity, contenders step up
Posted: Monday September 4, 2006 10:13AM; Updated: Monday September 4, 2006 10:20PM

So now, as if the NFL's Opening Day storyline wasn't compelling enough, we've got a neat little us-against-the-world twist ... and it's the home team, the Super Bowl champs, who are certain to use it. With a Sunday night appendectomy continuing Ben Roethlisberger's preseason from hell, his stunning subtraction from Thursday night's season-opener against Miami has made the leadup to this game pretty interesting. The new angle: Can Charlie Batch step into this white-hot spotlight and win a football game he has no business playing in?

If Jerome Bettis knows Bill Cowher -- and we all know that he does -- this is what he thinks the Steelers' boss man will say when he gathers his team to tell them all is not lost because Roethlisberger won't play against Miami: "Men, we've been down this road before. We've won games when Ben was out and we can do it again. It's going to take everyone's best effort, but it's not anything you haven't done before. We can do it."

Cowher will say the Steelers are 4-2 with a benched Ben in the two years since he was drafted -- with the only two losses coming in overtime donnybrooks. He'll tell them, perhaps, that Batch defeated Brett Favre in Green Bay last year and beat the Browns at home before breaking a finger late in that game. Cowher won't turn this into any tremendous uphill battle, because he won't believe it is.

The same goes for Bettis, who will get about 17 ovations Thursday night when he enters Heinz Field -- this time as an NBC broadcaster, not as a locker-room leader who helped the Steelers win the Super Bowl last year. "If there's one benefit to this happening now, it's that it's the best time of year for Charlie to play,'' Bettis said from his home Sunday night. "In Weeks Four, Five, Six, Charlie's snaps with the first offense would have dwindled down to zero. But he's been playing a lot with the starters. So there won't be a time he's more ready than now.''

Bettis went on: "I know Charlie well. My locker was next to him the last couple of years. And what I know is he won't be afraid. He's very confident in who he is. He'll love playing in this game.''

Miami was going to be a formidable foe anyway. The Dolphins finished last year on a six-game winning streak, and they added an in-his-prime Daunte Culpepper, who appeared to be in better shape than advertised in the preseason after suffering a major knee injury last year. Part of me thinks Nick Saban will be thrilled to have Roethlisberger out of the game. But another part of me thinks the installation of Batch under center means a great unknown will settle over Dolphins camp today. When I talked to Phil Simms on Sunday night to get his take, he thought the Miami approach to the game would change significantly with Roethlisberger out.

"For sure it'll change the way Miami approaches the game,'' Simms said. "Now they'll be facing a quarterback who's noticeably different than Roethlisberger. I think they might think, Let's see what Pittsburgh can do first before we push the issue. The Miami coaches are going to have to figure, What will we do to Batch that we didn't want to do to Roethlisberger?

"I can see it doing a couple of things to Pittsburgh. The positive for Bill Cowher is it'll be a rallying cry. You know, let's show the world what we can do without our big quarterback. Teams love to let you know there's more to their team than one guy. The other thing is, [and] you saw it in the Bengals playoff game, the trick plays. You saw it at Denver in the playoffs, all the different ways they handled the Broncos' blitzes. Cute screens. And you saw [Antwaan] Randle El throw the touchdown pass in the Super Bowl. I call 'em coaches' plays. The Steelers, throughout history, have been the best at coaches' plays, the plays you don't see coming. That is a big, big plus. They've got 9,000 of those plays, and just because Randle El's gone and you don't know if Hines Ward's playing, it doesn't mean they won't do that stuff. You'll see them. Miami's got to be sitting there thinking, What are the Steelers going to pull out for this game now?''

Great observation. This is a chess game. Roethlisberger was never afraid to leave the pocket, having run 115 times in the last two years, playoffs included. Batch is stapled to the pocket; he has run the ball 12 times in seven Steelers appearances under center. So Saban's thinking: Well, a couple of days ago I knew what the Steelers would do if I rushed Jason Taylor on a stunt up the middle. But now I'm not so sure I know how they'll try to block that, though I'm pretty sure Batch isn't going anywhere back there.

Who's going to have a trick play in his satchel Thursday? Nate Washington? Cedrick Wilson? Santonio Holmes?"

The 87th NFL season was going to be fun enough. But with the Steelers' three offensive leaders from the Super Bowl gone (Bettis), out for the game (Roethlisberger) and questionable out for the game (Ward, with a bad hamstring that forced him to miss every preseason game), the playing field is now even. Very even. This is going to be a heck of a football game Thursday night.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mqb/index.html