Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Finally a power ranking leaving us where we ended

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9637850

Is the Super jinx on? Did those Seattle Seahawks fans, who felt the officials cheated their team out of a Super Bowl victory, put some kind of voodoo hex on the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Just three months ago quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered a devastating motorcycle accident, only to fortunately recover enough to take part in the first training camp practice. Now we get word that Big Ben had an emergency appendectomy Sunday, a surgery that will likely keep him out two games.

Questions surrounding Bill Cowher's future might overshadow the Steelers' quest to repeat. (Getty Images)
Add on top of that the chatter of Joey Porter wanting a new contract, the uncertainty about Bill Cowher possibly coaching his final season, and it hasn't been a good offseason for the Steelers.

Now, having said all that, they are still the top-ranked team in the CBS SportsLine.com Power Rankings -- but it doesn't mean they will end the season there.

Hold on, Pittsburgh. Don't spit your IC Light out or choke on that Primanti Brothers sandwich just yet -- although after tasting one last year, I could understand if you did.

The Steelers have earned the right to be at the top for now. But that means nothing come December and January. Topping the preseason Power Rankings is about as meaningful as a Paris Hilton celibacy vow. Yes, she made one.

Even though the Steelers have virtually the entire team back, and can expect Roethlisberger to play at an even higher level in his third season when he does return, they won't be my pick to win the Super Bowl, not even to win the AFC.

Our picks come out Thursday, so I can't reveal the choice to win it all, but it won't be the Steelers. That's why this batch of Power Rankings might be a bit confusing at the end of this week.

It's not right if you don't start the Steelers at the top in any rankings. They have earned it, but it doesn't mean a free pass all the way through. Repeating in the NFL is about as tough as getting a photo op with the Cruise baby (get one and it could be worth more than Roethlisberger).

Starting at the top does mean they will have a chance at the end. The Steelers are a deep, talented team coached by one of the best in football.

But, hey, they didn't even win their division last season.

In compiling this first set of rankings, one thing became quite clear. There are a lot of teams that have a chance to be playoff teams and beyond.

Scratch off all the teams that have little chance to make the playoffs, and you're still left with the majority of the league. Even the St. Louis Rams at No. 22 on our list have legitimate playoff chances.

That means we have 10 teams that don't have a shot.

Is that Pete's Parity, named for the late Pete Rozelle? Or Goodell's Garbage, named for the new commissioner?

Time will tell.

Hidden in the bottom 10 could be a last-to-first team. It happens, which is why doing opening-week rankings can be so tough.

So go easy on me. Don't send off the nasty e-mails just yet. We haven't even played a game that matters, so save the venomous comments for later in the season.

I know they're coming. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Think about it. All the other sites have power rankings, but do any have rankings put together by one man? That takes big cajones with you lunatic (I love you guys) fans.

Just be nice. No more death threats for my cats.

But as I put together this batch of rankings, I did so with an eye on whose fans would be the angriest. My top choices are the fans of the Dolphins, Redskins and Chiefs.

I have the Dolphins ranked No. 12 at a time when some are picking them to win the Super Bowl. I have the Redskins at No. 19 when many are making them a favorite to win the tough NFC East. And the Chiefs are at No. 20, which surely won't make the army in Red too happy.

There will be others who aren't happy, either.

Let's just hope placing the Steelers at the top will appease that bunch for a while -- at least until Thursday when my Super Bowl picks are made official.

Here are the Power Rankings before Week 1:

POWER RANKINGS
Current Team Previous
1 Steelers ? Trends -
They haven't lost much from a team that won it all last year. That's why they start in this spot. As long as their quarterback can stay off the motorcycle, and out of the hospital, they'll be close to the top at the end.
2 Panthers ? Trends -
This is a deep, talented team that made major improvements in the offseason. They are the class of the NFC. They will be a fight every week.
3 Colts ? Trends -
In Vegas, they are still the favorites. That has to mean something. Maybe the tough playoff loss, and the sting of it, will help get this team to the Super Bowl.
4 Patriots ? Trends -
Don't let all the losses the past few years fool you. This is still one of the best teams. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are the two reasons why.
5 Broncos ? Trends -
They've added deep speed in Javon Walker, which will help the offense, and Mike Bell looks like another in the line of runners who can get it done for the Broncos. Now it's time for Mike Shanahan to get to the Super Bowl without John Elway.
6 Jaguars ? Trends -
Looking for a rising team? This is it. There is plenty of good young talent and a suffocating defense. If the offense makes a move forward, this could be a Super team.
7 Cowboys ? Trends -
The T.O. issues have hung over this team all summer, but they still have a ton of talent. If Terrell Owens can put out on the field, none of that other stuff will matter.
8 Seahawks ? Trends -
Super losers usually have Super hangovers. Can they avoid it? We'll see. Something says they slide down just a bit.
9 Giants ? Trends -
This is the year Eli Manning breaks out. The Giants face a brutal schedule that will make it tough to repeat last year's record.
10 Eagles ? Trends -
Andy Reid will have this team bouncing back. As long as Donovan McNabb can stay healthy, they should be in the mix to win the tough NFC East.
11 Bengals ? Trends -
Carson Palmer looked great in his return to the field last week, so don't worry about the offense as long he's there. The defense also looks improved, which is a must. But something tells me they won't be as good as in 2005.
12 Dolphins ? Trends -
There are a lot of questions for this trendy team. Getting Daunte Culpepper was a great move, but the line is so-so, the defensive front has age and the secondary is inexperienced.
13 Cardinals ? Trends -
Their offensive line will decide if they can make a playoff run. They have the skill people and the defense is loaded with good players.
14 Falcons ? Trends -
They will be a much better team on defense than a year ago. John Abraham will make that happen. It's now on Michael Vick and the passing game for this to be a Super contender.
15 Buccaneers ? Trends -
This team that will go as far as the offensive line takes it. They have all the parts, but the five guys up front have to play better to make this a division winner.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Finally a power ranking leaving us where we ended

I'll be damned.....

1st one I've seen......
Old 09-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9637850

11 Bengals ? Trends -
Carson Palmer looked great in his return to the field last week, so don't worry about the offense as long he's there. The defense also looks improved, which is a must. But something tells me they won't be as good as in 2005.
While I appreciate the Steelers being put at #1 on this list forever how short a time, I would have liked to have heard some reasoning for this placement beyond "something tells me".

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
While I appreciate the Steelers being put at #1 on this list forever how short a time, I would have liked to have heard some reasoning for this placement beyond "something tells me".

Maybe it's the fact, that all of us that post on SF already know, that the media truly don't know their buttocks from a hole in the ground. I guess it's the same as going hunting with the Vice President...you never know what someone else is thinking!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Hold on, Pittsburgh. Don't spit your IC Light out or choke on that Primanti Brothers sandwich just yet -- although after tasting one last year, I could understand if you did.
Too bad this idiot didn't choke on his. He sounds like a sardine and seltzer kind of guy to me. Primantis' sammiches ROCK!

POWER RANKINGS
Current Team Previous

1 Steelers ? Trends -
They haven't lost much from a team that won it all last year. That's why they start in this spot. As long as their quarterback can stay off the motorcycle, and out of the hospital, they'll be close to the top at the end. Agreed.

2 Panthers ? Trends -
This is a deep, talented team that made major improvements in the offseason. They are the class of the NFC. They will be a fight every week. Agreed.

3 Colts ? Trends -
In Vegas, they are still the favorites. That has to mean something. Maybe the tough playoff loss, and the sting of it, will help get this team to the Super Bowl. Disagree. They were the favorites in Vegas last year and what did that get them? The Dolts (and Peytoon) choke in the playoffs every season. And THAT has to mean something.

4 Patriots ? Trends -
Don't let all the losses the past few years fool you. This is still one of the best teams. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are the two reasons why. Tom Brady I can agree with - Belichick, no. Bedhopping Bill has lost one of his "genius" stripes since the departure of Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis and it is as obvious as the divet in Tom Brady's chin.

5 Broncos ? Trends -
They've added deep speed in Javon Walker, which will help the offense, and Mike Bell looks like another in the line of runners who can get it done for the Broncos. Now it's time for Mike Shanahan to get to the Super Bowl without John Elway. Shanahan plays musical RBs a little too much, imho, and Plummer is as inconsistent as they come. When he's on his game, he's brutal but when he's not, he just plain stinks out the stadium. The Broncos fans should be directing their annoying "In-com-plete" chant at their own. Consistency Mike!!!!

6 Jaguars ? Trends -
Looking for a rising team? This is it. There is plenty of good young talent and a suffocating defense. If the offense makes a move forward, this could be a Super team. I definitely agree here.

7 Cowboys ? Trends -
The T.O. issues have hung over this team all summer, but they still have a ton of talent. If Terrell Owens can put out on the field, none of that other stuff will matter. If TO can remain off the knuckles of Drew Bledsoe, it is possible, but I don't see the Cowgirls going too far this season.

8 Seahawks ? Trends -
Super losers usually have Super hangovers. Can they avoid it? We'll see. Something says they slide down just a bit. Agreed.

9 Giants ? Trends -
This is the year Eli Manning breaks out. The Giants face a brutal schedule that will make it tough to repeat last year's record. Breaks out of what? His Pampers? I think the key here is Tiki Barber, not Eli.

10 Eagles ? Trends -
Andy Reid will have this team bouncing back. As long as Donovan McNabb can stay healthy, they should be in the mix to win the tough NFC East. Agreed. The Eagles snaring Donte Stallworth is a big plus - he is the perfect fit for McNabb, imho.

11 Bengals ? Trends -
Carson Palmer looked great in his return to the field last week, so don't worry about the offense as long he's there. The defense also looks improved, which is a must. But something tells me they won't be as good as in 2005. Disagree. IF Palmer stays healthy and their D plays consistently, they're going to be a force to be reckoned with. This is a team I would never take too lightly.

12 Dolphins ? Trends -
There are a lot of questions for this trendy team. Getting Daunte Culpepper was a great move, but the line is so-so, the defensive front has age and the secondary is inexperienced. The biggest question mark here is whether Culpepper can return to his form pre-Moss' departure or whether he will continue on his downward spiral since Moss left on the Al Davis Express. I guess we'll see on Thursday night which Dante Culpepper is the real deal.

13 Cardinals ? Trends -
Their offensive line will decide if they can make a playoff run. They have the skill people and the defense is loaded with good players. Wholeheartedly agree.

14 Falcons ? Trends -
They will be a much better team on defense than a year ago. John Abraham will make that happen. It's now on Michael Vick and the passing game for this to be a Super contender. Agreed but with the stipulation that Vick has to become a QB and forget that he thinks he is a RB.

15 Buccaneers ? Trends -
This team that will go as far as the offensive line takes it. They have all the parts, but the five guys up front have to play better to make this a division winner. Agreed.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
ibleedburgundy
Water Boy

Member Number: 1177

mwahahaha! The Redskins seemed to have really fooled people with this preseason garbage. I hope opposing players buy into that as if the Redskins really are the 20th best team in the NFL. I don't mind predictions that don't favor the Redskins but I thought power rankings were supposed to reflect current trends a little better than this. Skins went 10-6 and won a playoff game, return all the key starters and then some, only to drop off a minimum of 12 spots. I prefer being the underdog anyway but have to say, the Skins will most definitely finish 2007 better than #20 on this list.

Steelers are right where they should be. They won it all and deserve the respect although Bettis leaves some big shoes to fill.
ibleedburgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i dont like the spot of the cardinals......this might sound crazy but i think they are the second best team in the nfc with the panthers in front of them. they have the most powerful offensive weapons mostly on the recieving part of the ball, no james will open up the deep ball even more than last year. they have the best duo of recievers and kurt warner is a great qb when not injured where steelers fans have no where to talk cause in 3 seasons ben has never played a whole season.srry if it sounded like i was a cardinals fan but the cardinals have greatly improved and once leinart starts they will be in the superbowl losing to pitt and maybe winning one in the future.think about it.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedburgundy View Post
mwahahaha! The Redskins seemed to have really fooled people with this preseason garbage. I hope opposing players buy into that as if the Redskins really are the 20th best team in the NFL. I don't mind predictions that don't favor the Redskins but I thought power rankings were supposed to reflect current trends a little better than this. Skins went 10-6 and won a playoff game, return all the key starters and then some, only to drop off a minimum of 12 spots. I prefer being the underdog anyway but have to say, the Skins will most definitely finish 2007 better than #20 on this list.

Steelers are right where they should be. They won it all and deserve the respect although Bettis leaves some big shoes to fill.
What's your take on Brandon Loyd? Is he going to pan out for you guys?
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I`d rather played the Rodney Dangerfield Card, and Get No Respect. Besides its always a good vibe when you know its not just you as a fan that likes your chances. But these power rankings are all just office pools.