Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Y-townFinFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 2944
Default Another note from Y-townFinFan

Haven't seen many Dolphin fans post here over the last few days, and I'm suprised not much from the Steelers fans on the Fin sites Anyway, after reading through the many posts and comments, I would like to say a few things. In every fan site there is the RAH-RAH types, and then there are the true football fans who like to talk honest football. I'm not a RAH-RAH fan, I'm an honest football fan who just happens to be a hard core FINFAN. I think the Dolphins will beat the Steelers with ease. I also think the exact opposite could happen and the Steelers will win.

I am really bummed that Ben is out, I wanted Pitts best on the field. I want Hines to be 100%. I want Porter to be the fans "self proclaimed" Bad A$$ that he is supposed to be.

How else can any team fan judge their favorite team, and how they will do this season, if they can't measure the performance against the World Champs?

I don't make projections or talk much trash, because, it's pointless! Fun, yes. to come here and aggravate all of you, not going to get much reasonable football talk by doing that. So, I'm going to rate each area of each team and give my opinion on who's better, all you have to do is agree or disagree!!

Here goes!

QB C-Pep vs Batch : C-Pep wins by virtue of his pure talent and size. Batch is a backup for a reason.

RB Brown vs Parker : Parker exploded last year for 5- 100 yard games (TEN, HOU, CINCY, CLEVE, and Det) while averaging 80.1 yards a game. Explosive and very fast.
Brown, gets the load in his second year, but can get the homerun. This vote goes to Parker due to the O=line and scheme, plus he's darn fast!

O-line MIA vs PITT : Pitt by a longshot, Mia is a work in progress at run blocking, but can protect the QB in pass plays

TE's : I'll call this a push, because both starters should be pro bowl bound this year!

WR's : Ward is a beast, Chambers has hands of glue! The Fins get more opportunities and the Steelers make good use of theirs. I'll give a slight edge to Miami because of Booker, who made the pro bowl a few years ago, but the edge is really slight.

D-Line : Pitt has been awsome, but the Fins don't give much. This one goes to Pitt based on past performance, not on projections.

LB's : Porter vs Zach - Porter is younger, faster and stronger, but that is what Zach has overcome his whole carrer, Miami is younger overall so this goes to Pitt.

Secondary: This is the Steelers weak point sans Polamula (sp?) I'll take the preseason starter numbers here , the Fins scheme overcomes all. Fins by a nose.

SPT : Both play well on coverage, Wes Welker vs a Randle El less team, I'll take the Fins due to the Steelers loss, not their ability.

Overall, this game could come down to the last minute. I just hope all our players finish healthy to play the next week. MAY the BETTER TEAM WIN

Y-Town
Y-townFinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Another note from Y-townFinFan

Y-town, welcome and good points.

One thing that is common amongst football annalyst, is that the game is won in trenches, who controls the line of scrimmage. And per your annalysis, we win on both sides, advantage us.

We also have home field advantage, not to mention the first game in the Burgh after the Super bowl victory. adv. US.

I think we have the better coaching now, i believe that the dolphins coaches are really good and getting better.

I really think we win by a TD, knowing Cowher we`ll get up by, and he`ll get consevative which will bring the game closer.

Nothing against the fins, they are up and coming, just to many intangibles for this week.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Y-townFinFan
Water Boy

It was hard to judge the O-lines from both teams, because neither played well this preseason. The D-line has changed for the Fins (much bigger) and it's hard to tell whats going to happen due to the 3-4, 4-3 changes made all the time. I based my opinion on Pitts past performance, which has been very good on both sides. However, I don't think either team will win by more than 3. If one team wins by 7 or more, it's a good gauge for the years first half.

Y-Town
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-townFinFan View Post
Haven't seen many Dolphin fans post here over the last few days, and I'm suprised not much from the Steelers fans on the Fin sites Anyway, after reading through the many posts and comments, I would like to say a few things. In every fan site there is the RAH-RAH types, and then there are the true football fans who like to talk honest football. I'm not a RAH-RAH fan, I'm an honest football fan who just happens to be a hard core FINFAN. I think the Dolphins will beat the Steelers with ease. I also think the exact opposite could happen and the Steelers will win.

I am really bummed that Ben is out, I wanted Pitts best on the field. I want Hines to be 100%. I want Porter to be the fans "self proclaimed" Bad A$$ that he is supposed to be.

How else can any team fan judge their favorite team, and how they will do this season, if they can't measure the performance against the World Champs?

I don't make projections or talk much trash, because, it's pointless! Fun, yes. to come here and aggravate all of you, not going to get much reasonable football talk by doing that. So, I'm going to rate each area of each team and give my opinion on who's better, all you have to do is agree or disagree!!

Here goes!

QB C-Pep vs Batch : C-Pep wins by virtue of his pure talent and size. Batch is a backup for a reason.

RB Brown vs Parker : Parker exploded last year for 5- 100 yard games (TEN, HOU, CINCY, CLEVE, and Det) while averaging 80.1 yards a game. Explosive and very fast.
Brown, gets the load in his second year, but can get the homerun. This vote goes to Parker due to the O=line and scheme, plus he's darn fast!

O-line MIA vs PITT : Pitt by a longshot, Mia is a work in progress at run blocking, but can protect the QB in pass plays

TE's : I'll call this a push, because both starters should be pro bowl bound this year!

WR's : Ward is a beast, Chambers has hands of glue! The Fins get more opportunities and the Steelers make good use of theirs. I'll give a slight edge to Miami because of Booker, who made the pro bowl a few years ago, but the edge is really slight.

D-Line : Pitt has been awsome, but the Fins don't give much. This one goes to Pitt based on past performance, not on projections.

LB's : Porter vs Zach - Porter is younger, faster and stronger, but that is what Zach has overcome his whole carrer, Miami is younger overall so this goes to Pitt.

Secondary: This is the Steelers weak point sans Polamula (sp?) I'll take the preseason starter numbers here , the Fins scheme overcomes all. Fins by a nose.

SPT : Both play well on coverage, Wes Welker vs a Randle El less team, I'll take the Fins due to the Steelers loss, not their ability.

Overall, this game could come down to the last minute. I just hope all our players finish healthy to play the next week. MAY the BETTER TEAM WIN

Y-Town
I agree with you on most of the things, although I don't know why you are preaching to the steelers (maybe you are a closet steeler fan, I don't know) ... But I do have to disagree with you on a few things:

#1: The Steelers secondary is extremely underrated, esp. these past two years with the emergence of Ike and Troy, people are still caught up in the early 2000's with the likes of dwayne washington, etc. ... Fins secondary was completely depleted and the only guy i really liked in there (Poole) was released due to injury

#2: Ronnie Brown is going to be a beast this year (atleast I hope so considering I spent my first pick in my fantasy league on him) ... however, there are still questions surrounding both backs which is pretty much the same for both: Can they carry the full load?? I for one, am not a willie parker fan at all and would trade ten willie parkers for a quarter of the potential of a ronnie brown ... parker racked up all his yards last year in 5 games ... against teams that are notorious for not being able to stop the run ... I mean honestly ... houston, cincy, DETRIOT!?!?! ... TENNESSEE!!??!?! ... brown gets the edge by a long shot ... oh and another thing that I want to get off my chest ... willie parker holds a record for the longest run in the superbowl because he happened to be really fast and went through a whole that you could drive a dump truck through and then beat an OUT OF POSITION BACK-UP SAFETY ... the starter was hurt earlier in the game

#3: I don't understand what was so impressive with the fins late season run last year ... Their only victim that had a winning record was the Chargers and LT had cracked ribs for the last 6 weeks of the regular season (this I know because his piss-poor play caused me my fantasy league championship last year) ... I hate to break it to ya but as scary as teams like Oakland, Buffalo, NYJ, Cleveland, Tennessee, and a Tom Brady-less patriots (which I'm pretty sure could then be compared to a JV High School team) ... well ... Ill just stop there

lastly ... I'm all for your love and support for the greater good and health of football in general ... but I hope that we absolutley crush the dolphins
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
It was hard to judge the O-lines from both teams, because neither played well this preseason. The D-line has changed for the Fins (much bigger) and it's hard to tell whats going to happen due to the 3-4, 4-3 changes made all the time. I based my opinion on Pitts past performance, which has been very good on both sides. However, I don't think either team will win by more than 3. If one team wins by 7 or more, it's a good gauge for the years first half.

Y-Town
Until we get our starting QB back, we won`t be able to guage as well as the fins. I am definitley not taking the fins lightly!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Good post Y-town..

one serious omission in my humble....

You compare the LB's as Porter vs Thomas...

Farrior, Foote and Haggens against.....???

You may neutralize Peasy..but if you do...the other 3 are gonna go wild...HUGE advantage Steelers...an advantage that has won us a ton of games, and may likely win us this one as well...
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
jaysta
Starter

Member Number: 1495
Talking Re: Another note from Y-townFinFan

I do agree that this game will be closer than many Steelers fans think. Ronnie Brown is a tank on wheels that we can slow down, but if he gets near the end zone it'll be tough to keep him out. In the end though Pittsburgh will have just enough of an edge to win. I stand by the Steelers winning 24-21.
jaysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Y-townFinFan
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post
I agree with you on most of the things, although I don't know why you are preaching to the steelers (maybe you are a closet steeler fan, I don't know) ... But I do have to disagree with you on a few things:

#1: The Steelers secondary is extremely underrated, esp. these past two years with the emergence of Ike and Troy, people are still caught up in the early 2000's with the likes of dwayne washington, etc. ... Fins secondary was completely depleted and the only guy i really liked in there (Poole) was released due to injury

#2: Ronnie Brown is going to be a beast this year (atleast I hope so considering I spent my first pick in my fantasy league on him) ... however, there are still questions surrounding both backs which is pretty much the same for both: Can they carry the full load?? I for one, am not a willie parker fan at all and would trade ten willie parkers for a quarter of the potential of a ronnie brown ... parker racked up all his yards last year in 5 games ... against teams that are notorious for not being able to stop the run ... I mean honestly ... houston, cincy, DETRIOT!?!?! ... TENNESSEE!!??!?! ... brown gets the edge by a long shot ... oh and another thing that I want to get off my chest ... willie parker holds a record for the longest run in the superbowl because he happened to be really fast and went through a whole that you could drive a dump truck through and then beat an OUT OF POSITION BACK-UP SAFETY ... the starter was hurt earlier in the game

#3: I don't understand what was so impressive with the fins late season run last year ... Their only victim that had a winning record was the Chargers and LT had cracked ribs for the last 6 weeks of the regular season (this I know because his piss-poor play caused me my fantasy league championship last year) ... I hate to break it to ya but as scary as teams like Oakland, Buffalo, NYJ, Cleveland, Tennessee, and a Tom Brady-less patriots (which I'm pretty sure could then be compared to a JV High School team) ... well ... Ill just stop there

lastly ... I'm all for your love and support for the greater good and health of football in general ... but I hope that we absolutley crush the dolphins
Just a quick reply: #1- Never said the Steelers secondary was bad or good, just a week point , which I based on past play. It's not a knock, just an observation. Troy is a beast, but where was he in the bowl? The Hawks took him out of the game, not that it mattered.

# 2 Hope your RIGHT about Ronnie, but the O-line has to play better. I'm glad you caught the big games for Parker I put in!!!

# 3 I never mentioned last years run, at all.?.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Y-townFinFan
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post
Good post Y-town..

one serious omission in my humble....

You compare the LB's as Porter vs Thomas...

Farrior, Foote and Haggens against.....???

You may neutralize Peasy..but if you do...the other 3 are gonna go wild...HUGE advantage Steelers...an advantage that has won us a ton of games, and may likely win us this one as well...
While I didn't mention your other vet LB's, They are why I rated them better.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #10
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Just a quick reply: #1- Never said the Steelers secondary was bad or good, just a week point , which I based on past play. It's not a knock, just an observation. Troy is a beast, but where was he in the bowl? The Hawks took him out of the game, not that it mattered.

# 2 Hope your RIGHT about Ronnie, but the O-line has to play better. I'm glad you caught the big games for Parker I put in!!!

# 3 I never mentioned last years run, at all.?.
your right ... what I should have had at number three was ... I don't feel that you should even be comparing a team of the steelers calibur to the dolphins given their ... well ... NOT so impressive run at the end of the season ... haha jk ...

... but no really
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote