Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Victim's Father Wants O.J.'s Publicity Rights

I believe Fred Goldman is very justified in his cause to obtain whatever monies he can from O.J. the Slasher, who has avoided paying the $33 million + judgment that was awarded almost 10 years ago. No amount of compensation is ever going to bring Ron Goldman or Nicole Simpson back, but it's bad enough that O.J. skated on the murder charges - now he has a free pass on not paying a Court-ordered judgment? I hope Fred Goldman is successful in his quest and causes O.J. to have to feel just a smidgen of the suffering the Goldman and Brown families have felt since their loved ones were so brutally taken away from them.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

Fred Goldman Wants O.J. Simpson's Publicity Rights
Asks Court for Right to Simpson's Name and Image to Help Pay Civil Judgement

By ROBERT JABLON, AP

LOS ANGELES (Sept. 6) - The father of murder victim Ron Goldman asked a court Tuesday to give him the publicity rights to the name, image and likeness of O.J. Simpson, who has failed to pay a $33.5 million judgment in a 1997 wrongful death lawsuit.

"He personally has never paid a dime on the judgment to anyone," Fred Goldman said. "He has made it very clear over the years that he has no intention of doing so."

The petition, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, asks that Simpson's "right of publicity" be transferred to help pay off the Goldman family's portion of the award, estimated at about $20 million, plus interest.

A hearing on the petition was scheduled for Oct. 17.

Simpson, who lives in Florida, was acquitted after a criminal trial of the June 12, 1994, slayings of his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ron Goldman , outside her Brentwood home. No one else has been arrested.

The Goldman and Brown families later sued Simpson. A civil court jury, using a lesser standard of proof than is required at a criminal trial, found him liable for the killings in 1997.

Goldman continues to believe Simpson killed his son and said it would be "poetic justice" to take away the fame Goldman believes helped the football star prevail in the criminal case.

Simpson has avoided paying the civil judgment because his National Football League pension and his Florida home cannot legally be seized. However, Goldman's petition contends Simpson has continued to earn money through appearances and autograph signings.

Goldman said he wants to take from Simpson "what we perceive is probably the most important thing to him, and that's his ego, and that's the opportunity to use his name and likeness to earn money."

Yale Galanter, Simpson's attorney, said he would review the petition but had not found any legal precedent that gives a court the authority to take publicity rights.

He also denied that Simpson had avoided paying the lawsuit award.

"It's not a question of intentionally trying to avoid anything," he said. "O.J.'s life is very simply an open book. There is no money."

He estimated that Simpson makes only a few thousand dollars from autograph-signing sessions.

Goldman said he did not know how much Simpson's publicity rights might be worth or what he would do with them if he obtained them.

While publicity rights have been sold or transferred, the petition to forcibly take them to satisfy a lawsuit award is an untried legal maneuver, said Karl Manders, owner of Continental Enterprises, an Indianapolis-based company that designs and implements intellectual property protection programs. Manders said he suggested the idea to Goldman.

09-06-06 03:24 EDT

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Victim's Father Wants O.J.'s Publicity Rights

Not much money there to be had i think....

No one will touch OJ with a ten foot pole.....
Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post
Not much money there to be had i think....

No one will touch OJ with a ten foot pole.....
I don't know...what kind of house does he own...car...etc? Seems like I see him jetsetting around in the papers and on tv. You'd hope that something could be done.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

OJ would simply quit the autograph sessions to avoid paying that probably.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
OJ would simply quit the autograph sessions to avoid paying that probably.
I think that may be the bigger victory for the family. I bet they could care less about the $. They want to do everything they can to decrease OJ's quality of life. I imagine the thought of OJ ego tripping at paid autograph signings ranckles the victims' families and this migh tput a stop to that part of his life....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
I think that may be the bigger victory for the family. I bet they could care less about the $. They want to do everything they can to decrease OJ's quality of life. I imagine the thought of OJ ego tripping at paid autograph signings ranckles the victims' families and this migh tput a stop to that part of his life....
Good point...
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Everytime I see Fred Goldman's name in print I get the chills, through the 10-degrees-of-separation-factor. Fred Goldman was a sales-rep for my father's company back in the day. I spent part of a summer working indirectly for him. This was in the late 80's, ugh. Every time I think about the whole situation it feels like someone walked on my grave.

I hope he gets every cent he can from the the juice.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote