Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #91
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer - Threatens to sit out entire season

I want Hines to come in, but the bottom line is its his talent and therefore his to do with what he wants.

I personally don?t get it, how much dough do you need, but?..

I?m not walking around in his shoes. I?ve been waiting on the guys for many years now, and its going to be nearly impossible for them to put together another grat one without their two starting wideouts.
redst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #92
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292
Default Re: WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer - Threatens to sit out entire season

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-corbett_x.htm

Quote:
Ward's stand: A man processing his e-ticket recently at an Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport kiosk looked familiar.

A low-slung sun hat, sunglasses and brown T-shirt emblazoned with Good Times, the 1970s sitcom featuring Jimmy Walker, couldn't camouflage one of the elite receivers.

"That's me," Hines Ward says of the T-shirt. "Good Times. I'm always positive."

But his smile couldn't hide wounded pride when it came to discussing the deal he says was promised but has yet been proffered by the Steelers. Without one, he vows the Steelers will be playing this season without arguably their most valuable and versatile offensive weapon.

Even as he prepared to hold out, Ward headed to Pittsburgh in case his agent called to say a new deal had been struck.

But Ward later turned down an offer including nearly $9 million guaranteed, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Ward is seeking guaranteed money similar to the $17 million guaranteed Marvin Harrison on last year's seven-year, $66 million extension.

"I want $16-$18 million guaranteed over the next three years," says Ward. "I was told in a meeting at the end of the year by (coach) Bill Cowher and (director of football operations) Kevin Colbert that I would receive the highest signing bonus ever (by a receiver)."

"I love football and I don't want to miss practices with my teammates. But the Steelers don't value receivers. And I'm (ticked) off."

Here's what's wrong with this picture: The Steelers could afford to let Plaxico Burress go since he didn't play or block with Ward's fearless tenacity.

The Giants gave Burress $8 million in guaranteed money, only slightly less than the Steelers offered Ward, 30.

The Steelers need to step up or else they risk taking a big step back in the
Old 08-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #93
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

"But Ward later turned down an offer including nearly $9 million guaranteed, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Ward is seeking guaranteed money similar to the $17 million guaranteed Marvin Harrison on last year's seven-year, $66 million extension."

I don't know about that. He said he didn't want Harrison money. Who knows I guess.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #94
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

I don't think anyone knows except him, his agents, and the FO
Old 08-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #95
BengalBrian
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 428

Ward does deserve more.. But a contract is a contract and I think sittin out makes him an asshat...

Before you jump all over me.. Its not me bashing.. Pollack is an asshat too

**** the Steelers!
BengalBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:23 AM   #96
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I too think, if you're in a contract, then you play it out. You can complain and gripe that you want an extension and raise. But you still signed on the dotted line, so play out and then look for the big payday.

If ward sticks to this wanting Harrison money, we'll never do it. I'd almost bet money the rooneys arent giving anyone that kind of contract. If they do, Ward would be the one to get it for sure, but the way we negoiate and handle the finances I just dont see that kinda thing happening.

Although, you gotta start out high, to come down to the number you really want. So we'll see.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote