Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #21
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Ben and Troy questionable for Monday

Both will play....Cowher will keep the Jags guessing on the QB situation until game time...but Del Rio isnt dumb...he's prepping for Ben....as he should....
Old 09-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #22
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
I don't want to see either one of them rush themselves back. This is going to be a very physical game. Week #3 if FAR more important than week #2. Besides, I believe that we can beat the Jags without both Ben and Troy. I really do prefer that they take the week off so they'll be near 100% for the Bengals game.
You got it. Jags are always one of the most, if not the most physical games of the season. Even Hines says so. So, I don't see the problem with using Batch - a reliable backup - against them, especially when you consider that it took Tommy's epic choke-of-the-century for them to beat us last year.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Big Ben feels fine, frets about ex-coach
Thursday, September 14, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Yes, Ben Roethlisberger practiced yesterday, perhaps with a heavy heart, and that has nothing to do with another emergency medical procedure performed on him.

Roethlisberger came through his Sept. 3 appendectomy fine, as he did his June 12 motorcycle accident, and is likely to start at quarterback Monday night in Jacksonville for the Steelers.

He can only hope his former coach at Miami University, Terry Hoeppner, comes through in equally fine fashion. Hoeppner, with whom Roethlisberger remains close, underwent brain surgery yesterday in a Bloomington, Ind., hospital for the second time in less than nine months after a scan showed evidence of a possible recurrent tumor.

Hoeppner, now at Indiana, came through the surgery well and was resting comfortably, Hoosiers athletic director Rick Greenspan said.

Roethlisberger and Hoeppner talked Tuesday morning.

"He wanted to inform me of everything that was going on before I heard about it from all of you guys," Roethlisberger said. "We talked. He's like a father to me, I love him to death. I know he'll be OK because he's a fighter and he's a competitor. The way he made it out to me, it's not as serious as everyone's making it out to be."

Neither were many of the things about Roethlisberger that led off the 5, 6 and 11 p.m. news shows. He was the big story again yesterday when he returned to practice, 10 days after his laparoscopic appendectomy at UPMC Presbyterian. He has been cleared medically, and there's no reason for him not to play unless he is so uncomfortable that it could affect his performance in Jacksonville.

"It feels normal," Roethlisberger said. "Everything feels like there's nothing wrong.

"Obviously the first priority is discomfort -- what's going to be comfortable? I wear rib pads anyway so we'll see how that feels putting those on."

Wide receiver Hines Ward watched practice in sweats as coach Bill Cowher gave him the day off to allow his sore hamstring more recovery time. He was in good position to assess Roethlisberger's latest comeback attempt, and he gave him two thumbs up.

"He did pretty well," Ward said. "He threw the ball well, he went through it. From what I saw, he felt fine.

"He practiced, so that's the encouraging thing. He went out there and threw the ball around, got in with the first group and did a great job. He threw some great balls and receivers made plays. He's taking steps in the right direction."

He took all those steps in training camp, showing that he had overcome the broken jaw, broken nose, broken orbital bone and broken teeth that occurred when his helmetless head was smacked in the motorcycle accident. On the morning he was to begin practice for the opener against Miami, he reported a stomach ache to Cowher.

"He told me to suck it up," Roethlisberger said. "And then, it's just one of those things, you think it's a stomach ache, and it turns out a lot worse than you think."

Defensive end Brett Keisel, who said last week that Roethlisberger is cursed, tried to remove that curse yesterday by giving Roethlisberger a bottle of "lucky" water. The quarterback called it half full, rather than half empty.

There is that little matter of his first two seasons in the league, in which he has led his team to a Super Bowl victory and an overall 27-4 record with him as their starting quarterback. Dan Marino would take a curse such as that.

"I've got that black cloud over my head," Roethlisberger said.

He has overcome November knee surgery to win a Super Bowl, a near-fatal motorcycle accident to participate in training camp and an appendectomy to likely play in the second game of the season.

"I've been through a little bit in the past couple of months," Roethlisberger said, "but it's just another thing, obviously for a reason. I'm taking that approach, and that's why I'm going to get back as soon as I can."

Ward is confident Roethlisberger will start in Jacksonville Monday night.

"Ben surprises everyone. He has a high tolerance for pain. He's going to fight through whatever."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06257/721682-66.stm
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Players predict quick return for QB

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 14, 2006

Steelers coach Bill Cowher is mindful that his quarterback has "been through a lot" the past couple of months, while defensive end Brett Keisel maintains Ben Roethlisberger is "cursed."
Roethlisberger is more philosophical when assessing his travails, which include seven hours of facial reconstructive surgery June 12 and an emergency appendectomy Sept. 3.

"Well, I've been through a little bit in the last couple of months, but things happen for a reason," Roethlisberger said Wednesday.

He's keeping a "half-drank bottle of water from Keisel" in his locker as a good-luck charm, just in case.

"I'm going to get back as soon as I can," Roethlisberger said.

That would be Monday night at Jacksonville.

Guard Alan Faneca said he'd be "shocked" if Roethlisberger didn't play.

Wide receiver Hines Ward estimated Roethlisberger's chances of playing at "about 80 percent."

Cowher, who is making no such calculations, has said Roethlisberger will be evaluated as the week progresses and that more than the recovery from his most recent surgery will be considered.

Roethlisberger isn't into probabilities, either, but he's making progress.

"Getting better every day," he said prior to practice yesterday. "My stomach feels pretty good. Obviously, if you push on a wound or someone cuts into your body, it's going to hurt a little bit, but, for the most part, it all feels real good.

"I've thrown the last two days, nothing too outrageous. It feels pretty good, just a little bit (of soreness), not too bad."

Roethlisberger didn't speak to the media following yesterday afternoon's workout, his third consecutive day of throwing.

"He didn't seem to lose anything from having a couple weeks off. That's encouraging," fullback Dan Kreider said. "He made some nice throws, and I would think that if you're in pain, you wouldn't throw those balls.

"I would think if he can go through practice that he'd want to play this game. I would think that if he feels good enough, he's a competitor, so I think we'll see him out there, but time will tell."

Added Keisel: "I don't think he's 100 percent, but it's amazing that he's out there right now, how many days after surgery? We appreciate that from him. He wants to come in and work and show that he's the leader of this team, and we're all behind him."

Cowher has said a decision on Roethlisberger isn't likely until "Friday or Saturday."

Roethlisberger said he began eating "normal foods" a day after his surgery, took no stitches and lost no weight because of the procedure.

Keisel, remorseful over his "cursed" comment upon learning of Roethlisberger's appendectomy, improvised a good luck charm to make amends.

"He was like 'What the hell, man, you said I was cursed?' " Keisel said. "I said, 'I was just saying, what's the deal, dude? We kind of need you over here.' I was trying to think of something I could do to make him laugh, I guess.

"I was drinking a bottle of water. I drank about half of it. I put a little backwash in the rest and said, 'Put this in your locker and leave it up the rest of the year.' I closed it, locked up all the medicine inside, he's good for the rest of the year."

The water bottle has no track record as a miracle elixir, but Keisel is keeping the faith.

"I know it's going to work," he said. "He's going to work. He'll be fine."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470388.html
Old 09-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #25
davidgrenier
Water Boy

Member Number: 2985

I think Cowher needs to keep the long-view of winning another Superbowl in mind. He's not there to appease players' egos. I'd rather have them miss one game now than several games later.

Last edited by davidgrenier; 09-14-2006 at 10:19 AM. Reason: fixing poor grammar
davidgrenier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #26
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgrenier View Post
I think Cowher needs to keep the long-view of winning another Superbowl in mind. He's not there to appease players' egos. I'd rather have them miss one game now than several games later.
I couldn't agree with you more. If Ben and his docs feel that he has completely healed on the inside (where it really matters), that's great, but if he doesn't feel 100%, there is no sense in playing and risking a setback. Ben's been through a lot in a 3 month span of time. I would prefer it if he just sat back this game, continued his practice and be 100% healthy and back to normal for the Bungles game. Batch, to my pleasant surprise, did fine in the Miami game and I know the Jax game is a little different as we are playing a tough defense on the road, but I would rather Ben not throw caution to the wind. We're going to need him from the Bungles game and after the bye.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #27
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Personally, I don't see Cowher letting Ben play if he's not 100%. I believe Cowher has made that very clear in the past (accident recovery) when dealing with Ben. If Ben states he's ready to go, then Cowher should let him play. If Ben states he doesn't feel good, then don't play him. It's not all that complicated really.

At the same time, Cowher is not able to read minds. It's up to Ben to tell Cowher how he is really feeling.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #28
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Troy and Ben will both play and kick ass.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote