Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-16-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default St. Pierre on call

St. Pierre on call

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 17, 2006

Brian St. Pierre wasn't thinking about long-term security when he refused to sign with the Steelers last November.
He was thinking about the best way to realize his dream of becoming a starting NFL quarterback, and who can blame him?

Whether you or I believe St. Pierre could win a starting job anywhere on this particular planet isn't relevant. Neither is the fact he hasn't taken a meaningful snap since the 2002 Motor City Bowl against Toledo.

What's relevant is that St. Pierre has a one-track mind, centered on a belief he shares with every other backup at every level of sports, from Pee-Wees on up:

I'm good enough to start.

That is why, against what some might call good logic, St. Pierre stayed on Baltimore's practice squad instead of returning to the Steelers, who'd drafted him in the fifth round out of Boston College two years earlier.

He could have been the backup while Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch recovered from injuries and Tommy Maddox imploded. He might have been the No. 3 quarterback all the way to the Super Bowl.

Or, he could have been released -- turned into St. Elsewhere for the second time in two years.

"I figured I might be here for three weeks, and they'd let me go, and I might be passing up an opportunity down the road with Baltimore," St. Pierre said. "I think it was the right decision. Who was to know they were going to win the Super Bowl? I didn't know how it would work out in Baltimore. I had to take that chance. I thought in the offseason it was going to be Kyle Boller and I, which would have been a lot better situation than what I would have come to here."

OK, so St. Pierre's position-analysis skills are bit off, in that he might have been the only one who thought the Ravens would stand pat at quarterback. They wound up acquiring Steve McNair over the summer and cutting St. Pierre on Sept. 1.

Three days later, he was back in Pittsburgh, where he has become the clear-cut No. 3 quarterback. The team cut rookie fifth-round pick Omar Jacobs on Tuesday.

I think it's admirable St. Pierre took his shot in Baltimore. It was a blatant act of self-confidence -- a trait that could serve a third-string quarterback in an emergency, which is likely the only kind of a situation he'll face.

Sure, St. Pierre missed out on all that playoff money ($146,000), but he spent enough time on Baltimore's active roster to be credited with a year of service. Thus, as a fourth-year veteran, his minimum NFL salary this season would be $585,000.

If he's placed on the practice squad, he'll make $4,700 per week.

It's a crazy business. St. Pierre was a split-second away from quarterbacking the Super Bowl champions in their opener 10 days ago. Remember Batch's first-quarter scramble, the one ended in a big collision with Miami linebacker Zach Thomas?

That could have ended poorly for Batch, who started only because Roethlisberger had an appendicitis attack five days before the game.

The brutality of the business mandates that St. Pierre be ready. He still plans to win a starting job on merit someday.

"There are so many stories documented of guys who just had to find their way and get a chance," St. Pierre said. "I feel I can play. I know I can play."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470573.html
Old 09-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: St. Pierre on call

st. pierre is a bad qb, the rookie josh betts with the colts is as good as him(i used josh betts because he went to my high school) but pierre isnt a great qb, he isnt a tom brady or kurt warner or matt hasselbeck. no.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305
Default Re: St. Pierre on call

is any 3rd string QB great ? lol alot of QB's get there chance somewhere ... he could of had his last year... i wonder though, how he felt after watching Super Bowl celebration and the parade and all the players showing their rings ect ect ...would suck but you do have to go where you think you are going to have a chance to play.... i dont think St Pierre is a bad QB.... he never has gotten a shot and the two teams he has played for have QB's that nobody is going to replace as far as being a starter.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote