Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Q&A: Mike Logan

Q&A: Logan's run

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 17, 2006

Strong safety Troy Polamalu opened last week listed as questionable (shoulder) on the Steelers' injury report, which meant Mike Logan had to prepare as if he might be starting. Logan would have taken that philosophy regardless of the injury situation. That's part of the approach that's helped the West Mifflin native and McKeesport High School graduate play on into his 10th NFL season.

Q: Are you ready if needed?

A: I prepare myself like I will be every day. That's one of the things about being a veteran guy who understands his role and can accept being a backup in this league, you never know. You're just one play away, and sometimes it's not even a play. Look at what happened to Ben (Roethlisberger, who underwent an emergency appendectomy), and Charlie (Batch) was able to fill in (during the Steelers' 28-17, season-opening win over Miami).

Over the years I've gotten mentally tougher, and I know how to handle these situations. If called upon, I'll be able to come in and fulfill the duty.

Q: How do you prepare yourself to spot-start if needed?

A: I try to do extra work during the week. You don't really get that same feeling when you're out there emulating the (opponent's) defense on the show team. Of course, you can work your techniques, but sometimes we have to do different things specific to what (the opponent's) defense calls for. I try to get my work in there. I take advantage of every rep when the second-team defense comes on the field. I prepare myself every day like I'm going to play, and I'll continue to do that.

Q: Troy Polamalu plays a physical, punishing game and yet hasn't missed a start in two-plus seasons. How do you account for his durability?

A: Troy and I developed a special relationship after he came here his rookie year, and I was able to mentor him a little bit. Now, I'm learning a lot of things from him. The way he prepares himself, the way he takes care of his body, his training regimen is so different than what you would expect from a professional athlete, but he believes in it. I think that's half the battle right there. Obviously, something's working, because the guy's been over the water a few times, and he's probably one of the most dominant safeties in our league.

Really, I think it's a mental thing that makes him overcome all of the adversities that he faces. I think when you believe in something so strongly, it's mind over body, mind over matter. I think he believes that.

We go out to practice every day and guys are tired and you don't feel like doing that. He's never going to say, 'I don't feel like doing that.' He's always going to make himself believe that he can do more, give a little more effort. It's an honor playing with a guy like that and just being around him.

I would love for my kids to emulate Troy Polamalu. It's a respect-thing, so I wouldn't worry about Troy being out there on Monday night, but I'll prepare myself as if I have to play, any way.

Q: Do you know when Polamalu was hurt in the Miami game and how bad it was?

A: I don't know when it happened. He probably wouldn't tell you any way, because he doesn't make excuses for himself. He won't blame the way he played on any injury or anything that's going on.

Sometimes, it's hard for outside people to get into Troy. The guys in this locker room, we feel like a family and he shares stuff with us, but he wouldn't even tell you if he was hurt or when he got hurt. You would probably have to drag him out of the game if something really major happened to him.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_470581.html

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-16-2006 at 11:21 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default Re: Q&A: Mike Logan

[QUOTE][and he's probably one of the most dominant safeties in our league.
/QUOTE]

and the understatement of the year award goes to....MIKE LOGAN!

IM GLAD PLAYERS LIKE HIM, JEROME and willie williams got rings. they deserve them as much as anyone else.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

I really respect the way he chats up Troy.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Simply put,....... Troy is a Samurai. His sense of Duty and Honor along with his ability are to be admired. Does he not embody everything this organization is suppossed to stand for ? Logan has alway's conducted himself with strength and class as well. As Toney stated,......he definetly deserved a ring. I believe that players like these are what seperates us from the rest of the League.

"Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
SteelersFreak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2842

Mike Logan is awesome.
SteelersFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
melroseplace
Team Captain

Member Number: 520

Mike deserves much more credit than he gets. not only is he a dedicated player who is out there practicing like a starter every day but he's also a great guy who does a lot of events with the fans. when I worked at Men's Fantasy camp I worked at Mike's drill and he was a really fun guy, totally down to earth and joked around a lot. he was really nice to me as well, asking where I go to school and how I like my job. great guy, I agree that he deserves his Super Bowl ring