Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #11
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: The fact of the matter is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
So you don't think that Jax DL going through our O-line every other play had anything to do with it? How about Ben not playing for almost 7 months? I personally think that all the doom and gloom is completely un-necessary. It is the second game of the season there is plenty of time to make the needed adjustments. One last thing. Even if Batch was put in there last night, it still doesn't change the fact that there were lots of dropped balls, and some bad routes ran as well.

Concur. I for one did not underestimate the Jaguars and neither did Cowher.

Santonio Holmes had better start to show that the risk of putting the ball in his hands (when he does run the correct route) is worth it. He looks clearly apathetic with his return duties. If anyone thinks he is showing any glimpse of progress I be interested in hearing about it because I am more and more baffled with his presence. Yes I know he is a rookie and it is the second game. But trying to figure out the NFL w/ "on the field" training is going to start to yield diminishing returns.

Also baffling is why Willie Reid is not getting the opportunity to return kicks. His preseason work showed creativity and speed. I guess the coaching staff has their reasons.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
There is no gloom and doom -- but I think the concerns about Parker are valid -- he has got to run smarter -- the Steelers entire offensive philosophy rests on him being successful...it was not all on the Oline last night -- I do have confidence that the proper adjustments will be made and the Steelers will crush Cincy -- but I am not sold on Parker as a smart every down back that makes good decisions....
He's got to run smarter through what - a brick wall? Jax's DL plugged up every conceivable hole that the OL tried to open up and when he started trying to run east/west instead of head-on, he was again met by the corners of that brick wall. Mike Smith and Jack Del Rio obviously did their homework and did it well and their D executed their defensive game plan beautifully - I have to give credit where credit is due.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #13
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

There is no need to panic. When Ben gets the rust oof and the defense keeps playing like they played last night, the Steelers will be hard to stop.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,965 Times in 3,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
Concur. I for one did not underestimate the Jaguars and neither did Cowher.

Santonio Holmes had better start to show that the risk of putting the ball in his hands (when he does run the correct route) is worth it. He looks clearly apathetic with his return duties. If anyone thinks he is showing any glimpse of progress I be interested in hearing about it because I am more and more baffled with his presence. Yes I know he is a rookie and it is the second game. But trying to figure out the NFL w/ "on the field" training is going to start to yield diminishing returns.

Also baffling is why Willie Reid is not getting the opportunity to return kicks. His preseason work showed creativity and speed. I guess the coaching staff has their reasons.
I agree it is time to see what Reid can do. After botching another punt I assume Coclough will not be handling another kick (and IMHO will be gone after this season unless McFadden really falters).

Steelers drafted WRS with a #1 and #3 pick - having elected that draft strategy it is puzzling why you would sit a #3, especially since I assume Reid was drafted, at least in part, to address the still unresolved hole in the return game caused by ARE's departure to the Redskins.

Holmes is a rookie and the NFL is a lot harder to figure out than college, but Holmes reminds me of Plax not only for packing a lot of attitude but in having the same difficulties in picking up the playbook and generally dim plays (can't someone explain to Holmes you do not catch/return certain punts and kick-offs depending where you are on the field?!) that Burress had his rookie season.

The Steelers effectively stretched pre-season into the first 2 games of the regular season (a Miami win that in retrospect looks less impressive and a dud game against Jax) due to Ben's latest problems. Starting on Sunday it is time to start taking care of business.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote