Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Michigan State/Notre Dame History

Spartan fans under the age of 50 probably don’t remember the 1966 game between #1 Notre Dame and #2 Michigan State, and might not know why it’s a big deal around East Lansing as the Fighting Irish come to town on Saturday.

The “Game of the Century” opened with the Spartans rolling out to a 10-0 lead, before Notre Dame rallied to tie it. Late in the contest, Notre Dame head coach Ara Parseghian had the ball at his own 30-yard line but elected to run the clock out and force a tie, since the Irish still had one more game (against Southern California) on their schedule. Parseghian and Notre Dame won that matchup 51-0, claiming a national championship in the process.
The matchup between #1 and #2, the tie, and the controversy behind Parseghian’s strategy all contributed to make that game the classic of classics. I sat there after the game along with many, many fans ND as well as MSU and we all felt like someone died.
The game between No. 1-ranked Notre Dame and No. 2 MSU on Nov. 19, 1966 may not have been the greatest game ever played, and yet its claim to the title, the “Game of the Century,” has gone largely unchallenged.
This game opened up the modern era of NCAA football. It was prophetic, in a sense, because it showed what was eventually going to come about, and the fighting spirit of that game helped accelerate it.
In 1966 Notre Dame, a Catholic institution had only one black player, and Michigan State was just the opposite, the state school with so many black athletes. At the same time, the schools in the South were still segregated.
Notre Dame emerged from its season-ending domination of Southern California as the national champion so-named by the two major polls, but MSU still lays claim to a national title based on the decision of four other recognized selectors.

Consider the emotion of this game. In MSU's eyes if we beat noone, we beat ND. A lot like the Browns If we beat noone we beat the Steelers!~ LOL MSU leads the series but typically ND beats us on our turf and we beat them on their turf. Again I said "typically" who knows what will happen Saturday night?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530
Default Re: Michigan State/Notre Dame History

Thanks for the write-up! I've been reading a lot about that game lately. Notre Dame beating USC 51-0 sounds more like a parallel universe than fourty years ago to me!

The rivalry with Michigan St. is still very much alive though. Notre Dame actually leads the series 43-25-1, but Michigan St. has won more games at Notre Dame than any other team.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Didn't MSU plant their flag on ND's 50yd line after the game the last time they played?
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Steel Head View Post
Didn't MSU plant their flag on ND's 50yd line after the game the last time they played?
I think I remember something about that.

ND pulled off another come from behind win today. Say what you want about Notre Dame they seem to come from behind to win more then any other big time college team I can think of. You're never safe with them until the clock runs out.

Last edited by hardwork; 09-24-2006 at 01:03 AM.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

This win could save the whole season. I hope it does.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Yeah now all the have to do is beat Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Coast Guard Academy.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Quote:
Yeah now all the have to do is beat Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Coast Guard Academy.
So far, ND has played the hardest schedule of any team in the AP top 15. Every other team in that group has had one or even two cup cakes already. So, ND could use a break.

Problem is Purdue, their next opponent is still undefeated. Air Force can catch ND off guard, like they did to Tennessee, and oh yeah, their last opponent happens to be USC.

The schedule gets easier, but there's still danger out there.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
I think John L. said it was planted on the 35.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
Lyn
Banned

Quote:
Naw........MSU couldn't even find the 50 yard line, they planted it on the 35, per John L Smith And whomever said it yes they have had a cupcake schedule Idaho, Eastern Michigan and Pitt. Coach Smith has improved the program (thank you to him for that), but he and his staff are not the ones to take us to the next level. That is very clear.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
Lyn
Banned

Quote:
You may win those games but you will lose to CA. ND, without Quinn on his game, is nothing more than incredibily ordinary. Charlie Weiss is not yet playing with the players he has recuited, he should by next year and when his players come on watch out. Right now he is playing the hand he was dealt.