Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Did Weis pull a fast one??

EAST LANSING - John L. Smith wanted to look ahead to Illinois at his weekly press conference Monday, but lingering issues from the Notre Dame game still took center stage.

Paul Konyndyk

John L. Smith made it clear during Monday's press conference that Charlie Weis' accusation that a Spartan player had struck him during a scrum on the sideline was baseless. The Spartans have lodged an official complaint with the Big Ten over the way Saturday's officiating crew handled the situation.
Controversy was a by-product of Saturday's game and a still developing storyline was addressed at the onset of Smith's press conference, as the Michigan State sports information staff played clips of the controversial sideline play when Spartan quarterback Drew Stanton was pushed out of bounds and under the Notre Dame bench with a late hit.

Notre Dame was given a personal foul on the play. But Spartan wide receiver Matt Trannon received an unsportsmanlike penalty for trying to retrieve his quarterback from the Irish sideline.

Trannon was not hit with the penalty until Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis told officials that that he had been slapped in the face by a Michigan State player. Video replays were shown from multiple angles during Monday's press conference. None of those replays back up Weis's accusation.

What the replays did clearly show was Weis complaining to officials that he had been slapped by a Spartan player. The video also shows a Notre Dame graduate assistant or administrator physically grabbing and pulling away three Michigan State players from the bench area.

That unnamed administrator first pulled away Kerry Reed. He then came up behind Javon Ringer and pulled him off of the sideline before grabbing Trannon from behind and pulling his helmet off. .

"I am not going to call anyone a liar," said Smith. "You look at the film. That's not for me to say. You go and look at the film. I'll stick up for our guys. They didn't throw a punch. Our quarterback was under their bench and they went over there to protect our quarterback."

Stanton, who was in the middle of the melee, didn't see any punches thrown either.
"I was actually under their bench," said Stanton. "I heard a voice telling me to stay down. My guys just came over to help me out."

What irked Smith the most about the play was the late flag on Trannon.

"They (the referees) listened to a **** and bull story and changed the call," said Smith. "Matt just went in there and tried to get our guy out and then the officials make the call wrong."

Michigan State has lodged a complaint with the Big Ten for the way the incident was handled by officials. The Spartans believe the Notre Dame administrator involved in the incident with Trannon, Ringer, and Reed should be admonished for his lack of self restraint.

Smith would not say what he thinks should happen to the the Irish staffer. But he added that if one of his coaches or administrative personnel took part in unprofessional behavior on the sideline during a game, that person would have to face consequences.

I only caught parts of the MSU-ND Game on Saturday night and missed this incident that occured but if Weis actually did this and pulled it off he's really sunk to pathetic depths in order to get an advantage in a game.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Did Weis pull a fast one??

Wouldnt surprise me in the least....
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
reelsteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 3167

ya same here it would not surprise me at all
reelsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelsteel View Post
ya same here it would not surprise me at all
I'm still surprised that Weis had a gastric bypass -- is there a fatter coach ever anywhere in the histroy of football? -- He needs to trade notes with Al Roker
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I'm still surprised that Weis had a gastric bypass -- is there a fatter coach ever anywhere in the histroy of football?

There's "Big" Ralph Friedgen the HC of Maryland football.
I'm thinking Ralph is pushing 4 spins on the scale.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote