Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Re: Response to the "no worries about Ben" threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I'm concerned. Follow me through on this. The guy hasn't had a good game since the AFC championship game.

I'm concerned that he's a head case, that's what concerns me.

For his rookie year, he was basically doing what he was told, with no responsibility other than performing physically; hand off to this guy, make the reads and throw to that guy. No big deal, rely on the god-given talent. Hey, if a rookie screws up, that's expected; he's a rookie, after all. But, when playoff time came, and the pressure was on, his performance tanked. He (and we) chalked it up to exhaustion.

Last year, he played well. During the stretch run, and the playoff run, there was no pressure because no one expected anything; the Steelers were the underdogs all the way through, if they lost it was what was expected. But, then the Super Bowl came up, and the pressure was on, and the eyes of fans everywhere were on him, and... his performance tanked.

Now this year, the pressure's on. He's BIG BEN, the quarterback of the Super Bowl Champions, and he's expected to get better. Forget about the accident and the appendix. In the NFL, if you're ready to play, you play. If you're physically compromised, you adapt your game to what you can do. Ben can certainly hit guys on short crossing patterns, guys coming out of the backfield, flares, screen passes... can't he? By the evidence of the last two games, no.

I hate to ask it... but could it be that our guy can't handle the expectation of success? I've always believed that he's not all that complicated emotionally. But what I don't see on the sidelines is the same guy I saw the first two years; laughing, joking, confident, one step ahead of everyone else. I see a guy who is worried and hesitant, and who is thinking a little bit behind everyone else. The game isn't an open book to him like it was before.

It's crunch time for this guy. This is where he gets to decide if he's going to be with Carson Palmer and Tom Brady, or with Mark Johnson and Mark Brunell. Will he be able to lead his team to victory one-handed when he has to? Only if his team believe that he can, is my answer. A couple more games like those and that might not come true.

Tom
Ben is the Man!!!! -- Run oriented teams will just about always struggle when they have to come from behind and score more than once to win a game -- bad turnovers killed Pittsburgh this past week not Ben -- Decent running attack (in place) + Good Defense (in place) + no turnovers at crucial times and places = Success for Ben and the Steelers
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

The way I look at it is this. Every NFL QB, including past, present and future HOF'ers, has a series of bad games or an "off" year. It happens and it is up to him - in this case Ben - to get his head on straight and back on track. No one else can do it for him. Ben was determined enough to get into playing form physically but the mental/emotional after-effects of all this guy has been through in a very short period of time may take just a little longer, which is certainly understandable. I believe this bye week can only benefit Ben and the team as a whole in the long run. I have a lot of faith in Ben and his ability to regain his self-confidence and return to his prior form as a QB who can play a major role in leading his team back to where it belongs - on top of the AFC North.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

He's a kid who about 100 days ago went through a near-death experience. He followed that up by donating his appendix to the local medical waste incinerator.

He may think he was hitting his stride and the bye week is not good. But on the final drive against the Bengals he moved the ball nicely against a defense that was happy to give up plays underneath. When Ben was forced he threw the pic.

IMHO the bye week couldn't have come at a better time. Back to the basics. Starting 1-4 is not very healthy obstacle to hurdle.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
sculleyd
Water Boy

Member Number: 2382

Remember, too, that this year our WRs have been Hines Ward (hamstring), Cedric Wilson, Nate Washington, and Santonio Holmes.

While I believe this group may someday be very good, right now it's nowhere near as good as Hines Ward (healthy), Antwaan Randle El, Cedric Wilson, and Quincy Morgan.

I'd like Ben to make better decisions and take the underneath stuff more when it's there, but you can't blame it all on him right now.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #15
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

I know it won't happen, but I would love to see Cowher go full speed in the next few practices. What better way to help Ben shake "rust" then to go full speed against our D. The only thing wrong with this is that we can not afford someone to get injured while on a bye week. I do expect Cowher to have some pretty intense 7 on 7 drills this week and next. Ben must get his timing down with our WR'S. It gives me hope and bothers me that when we got down and went to the hurry up that Ben started to pick up his game. I also think that some of the routes that WR'S are running right now are not helping either. Ben Has always been better at throwing the deep outs and the 15yrd come backs, skinny posts and slants. I will wait with great anticipation for the SD game.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #16
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Roethlisberger is going to throw interceptions. I just think that's the way he is. Roethlisberger is going to win also because I just think that's the way he is.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 AM   #17
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

It's going to be a long two weeks.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote