Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #11
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: I Don't Think Ben Was As Bad As He Seemed

I'm pretty sure Ben will be ready for San Diego
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
Woogie
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2477

My husband broke it down pretty much the same way many of you have in this post (meaning the more positive aspects). I feel even better after reading it from others a day and a half later.

I still have faith! It was only game 3.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,798 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I remember poor Tommy Maddox getting absolutely roasted for blaming the wind, when he threw a bunch of interceptions.

My guess would be is that is Steeler policy to never, EVER blame the wind for not getting the job done.

Colclough could blame the very same wind for making him back pedal faster than your average politician on that punt return - it seemed pretty obvious that the wind got hold of it late during its flight.

NM
When you have 2 seasons like Ben has had to start off his career you are more likely to have the fans cut you some slack when you blame the wind than was the case with Tommy Turnover (who was well removed from his 2002 successes when he got roasted in 2005). As for Ricardo Coclough (who has never accomplished anything and probably did not enhance his long term prospects in Pittsburgh by apparently having the gall to ask Cowher on the sideline why Taylor replaced him on the kickoff returns after the last Cincy TD), I believe he knows laying low may be the only survival option that remains open to him.

I do agreee that at some point Ben needs to zip it with the excuses (he still is getting zinged for the "104 degree fever") and just start returning to form, notably by occassionally scrambling for poistive yardage as he did during his first 2 seasons. If he cannot do that anymore due to the injury trauma then there really may be a long term problem coming out of the accident.

I am to the point I am considering mailing a can of Rustoleum to him if I hear any more discussions about "rust" - that word needs to be dumped from the vocabulary of Ben and Cowher.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
Steelers
Starter

Member Number: 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I do agreee that at some point Ben needs to zip it with the excuses (he still is getting zinged for the "104 degree fever") and just start returning to form
1. Michelle Tafoya started the whole 104 degree temperature thing. It was 100.4 and she tripped up.

2. Immediately after the JAX game, Ben owned up to his mistakes. He hasn't made one excuse that I'm aware of.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
1. Michelle Tafoya started the whole 104 degree temperature thing. It was 100.4 and she tripped up.

2. Immediately after the JAX game, Ben owned up to his mistakes. He hasn't made one excuse that I'm aware of.
If the "104 degree/100.4degree" flap was an isolated incident, it would not have legs. For whatever reason, Ben has made a number of media unsavvy comments since his rise to fame in late 2004 and it was in that context that fevergate arose.

I agree that he probably will grow out of it, but it will remain an issue until Ben cust it out and/or Cowher decides to quit calling Ben out in front of the press on what appear to exaggerations.

I think the local media really wants to work with Ben, hence the stories about Ben taking the blame after the Cincy loss rather than chewing over various scenarios tossed out by Ben - "I stepped on my lineman's foot"/"the wind knocked it down" (Steelers had the wind in the 3rd Q ) - for that terrible chuck down the middle of the field for INT #2.

My point is that after 2 full games the "rust" defense needs to be put to rest.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts

Quote:

My point is that after 2 full games the "rust" defense needs to be put to rest.
well this bye week is bad timing for ben then cause he wont come out firing on all cylenders. even before this year, hes never looked all that great after a period off longer than a week, whether it be due to a bye week or coming back from an injury.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Personally, I think it could take more than 2 games to get rid of Bens rust - his body and mind have suffered alot of trauma during the offseason.

Its not just his throwing mechanics that are off - its his understanding with his WR's which is misssing - due to his lengthy lay off he has no chemistry with them and his Mr Reliable is playing injured.

If Ben is looking back to his old self by week 7 or 8 he would be doing well - its upto the D and ST to compensate enough so that the Steelers aren't out of the playoff race by then.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Assuming he got the requisite number of reps in training camp, his "lengthy layoff" consisted of missing a week of practice after the appendectomy. Hindsight is flawless, but for once I am in agreement with Theismann, who said in preseason that Ben needed to play more in the exhibition games. Ben's playing time is part of a preseason in which the lack of urgency has resulted in problems.

As LITP points out, a lot of th offensive problems are due to Ward being down, which is Ben's security blanket.

Combine that with Wilson having made crucial drops in the Jax & Cincy games, Washington being an enigma, and Holmes playing like even good rookies do and the receiving corps is a train wreck.

Waiting until October 8 for a game will be a pain - a loss then and I will be pushing the panic button.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #19
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Personally, I think it could take more than 2 games to get rid of Bens rust - his body and mind have suffered alot of trauma during the offseason.

Its not just his throwing mechanics that are off - its his understanding with his WR's which is misssing - due to his lengthy lay off he has no chemistry with them and his Mr Reliable is playing injured.

If Ben is looking back to his old self by week 7 or 8 he would be doing well - its upto the D and ST to compensate enough so that the Steelers aren't out of the playoff race by then.

NM
Completely agree. The game in San Diego is not as critical as a win than it is as a performance - meaning our QB and receivers. If they get it together then we should be heading into Baltimore on Thanksgiving weekend with a 7-3 record.

I like our chances against the Falcons in the ATL and the Broncos at home. The Saints are a nice story and have a sick RB tandem (very envious btw) but Reggie doesn't know Steeler defense...yet.

Assuming the problem is "rust" and not concussion-related impairments then 11-5 is a realistic outcome even with a loss in San Diego.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #20
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Assuming he got the requisite number of reps in training camp, his "lengthy layoff" consisted of missing a week of practice after the appendectomy. Hindsight is flawless, but for once I am in agreement with Theismann, who said in preseason that Ben needed to play more in the exhibition games. Ben's playing time is part of a preseason in which the lack of urgency has resulted in problems.

As LITP points out, a lot of th offensive problems are due to Ward being down, which is Ben's security blanket.

Combine that with Wilson having made crucial drops in the Jax & Cincy games, Washington being an enigma, and Holmes playing like even good rookies do and the receiving corps is a train wreck.

Waiting until October 8 for a game will be a pain - a loss then and I will be pushing the panic button.
What is unknowable is if Ben was really ready to go in the preseason. The accident set a new timetable and this is Ben's preseason right now. Unfortunately for us these games count. Some are pointing out how well Ben did on the final drive as a reason this bye week is bad. But the Bengals were giving Ben anything underneath which he took until he finally 'had' to make a play.

The new timetable just may mean that Ben will get it going just in time for a loss in San Diego. But that is hardly the time to hit the panic button. A loss to the Chiefs...now that is the time to hit the panic button - with a sledgehammer.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote